Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Swede_Matt
I'm hoping to be able to take off around lunch time either Thursday or Friday to go see Darin and get the mufflers done. If that doesn't work it will have to be the weekend...pending Darin's schedule.

I'm bringing camera to take pics of it all. You guys already did a great job in documenting it all so I'm not sure I will be able to add any new info.

Looking forward to getting this done and to meet you Darin.
Matt - how about a "before" and "after" video? Not just idle or reving the engine, but maybe accelerating away from the building, both "before" and "after" the mod.

While video clips are not the same as "in person" sound, at least the video clip would compare/contrast the difference in the sound. I think that would help others understand the dynamics of the changes in the sound.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You mean like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=el2haZ-lkHI
Old 04-11-2007, 10:51 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Swede: Fill us in on your mod that you and Darin did last weekend. Did you do the MKII mod with the 2 1/4 inch stainless pipe? Did you take pictures? How do you like the final results?

I picked up my car today and drove it home....all I can say is that Gota911 was right...I really like the sound that the MKII mod makes.....I also like the fact that at cruising speed, there is no resonance at all. Glad I did this. My Schnells are up for sale if anyone is interested. They're posted on the for sale board.

You like this mod better than the Schnells? Interesting...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, yes, that's the plan as well. I'll record before and after videos. Unfortunately I don't have very fancy equipment for this. Just my little digital camera that also take movies.

1999Porsche911....wow, if my car sounds like that afterwords I'll be very satisfied! Anyone know what modifications it took to get that sound?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swede: It's NOT going to sound like that sound clip...I don't know what they did with that car, or if they did the MKII mod, but your mufflers won't be that loud. I don't have a sound clip to give you an idea of what they sound like.

Arnee: The MKII is a bit louder than the Schnells and a slightly "hollow-er" (word?) sound. Subjective description at best.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 04-12-2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Link was changed to show different video clip
Old 04-12-2007, 03:16 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near that loud but it would be interesting to know what was done to that car to get that lovely sound.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:42 PM
gpkrider
4th Gear

Hi everyone! just completed modding my exhaust with the mk2 method. I have a 99 c2 and got a set of 3.6 cans off ebay. I had darin do the work and he did an outstanding job of welding them up, and yes the 3.6 cans match up perfectly to older c2s. My seat of the pants observation is that they are about %25 percent louder than stock at idle and cruise speeds and about %50-%60 louder while accelerating. Its exactly what i was looking for because im not into loud pipes. Its perfect for everyday use and is really intoxicating when your on the gas. I would not recommend this mod for anyone who wants to hear his pipes all the time. hope this helps!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:25 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Hi all, finally got my act together and drove up to see Darin. I got a late start and didn't drive the P-car so unfortunately we couldn't put the mufflers on this weekend. Darin did an awesome job. It's clear that he takes pride in doing a good job. We took a spin in Darin's beautiful 993. Ohhh, what a lovely sound!

It was well worth the long drive to get someone like Darin to do the job....and the ride in the 993 didn't hurt Stopped by one of Darin's friends to look at some nice old American muscle cars. It was a day in car nirvana Thanks Darin!!

Now I just need to find some decent place in the South Bay that can put on my new mufflers! Before and after video will be recorded...I promise. I've already talked the lady in to operating the camera during driving...heheh
Old 04-23-2007, 04:41 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Found a comparison of before and after at youtube. Nicely edited so you can compare before and after. Slightly more aggressive sound after the mod.

video of before and after 3.6L mod
Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Awesome Matt! It was great to meet you. " A day in car nirvana"...I like that!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:12 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darin:

It's great to see that you've been doing the MKII muffler mod for a few of the Rennlisters. The compliments you've received on the professional welding you do is well deserved. I'm really glad to see so many happy Rennlisters.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:28 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Just compare the pic's of Darin's welds in this thread, to the ones found in this link:not so pretty Even an amateur can tell the difference in quality of workmanship. Darin rocks!! (he actually does rock...drums right?)

Now, anyone know a good place in the South Bay area that I can take the car to have the modified mufflers put on?
Old 07-05-2008, 01:19 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi all,
I would like to modify my 3.6L muffler with the MKII method.
Where is the best place to find and purchase the 2 1/4" stainless steel horseshoe shaped pipe necessary for the mod?
Has anyone in Connecticut done this?
If yes, can you please recommend where to go to get the mod done?

Thanks, in advance.

-Cami
Old 07-05-2008, 01:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ok-cami
Hi all,
I would like to modify my 3.6L muffler with the MKII method.
Where is the best place to find and purchase the 2 1/4" stainless steel horseshoe shaped pipe necessary for the mod?
Has anyone in Connecticut done this?
If yes, can you please recommend where to go to get the mod done?

Thanks, in advance.

-Cami
Contact FisterD (see post #70 in this thread) because he has a source for the U-shaped pipe.

Any decent muffler shop that does exhaust systems should eb able to do the mod. The Meineke shop near my house did mine for $60. It was a cash, no invoice (a.k.a. off the books) transaction. That price also included the 2-1/4" pipe.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:34 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Off to Meineke right now...

Quick Reply: Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design