996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swede: We're a little off subject, but I didn't do the floors because the contractor finally admitted under questioning that there is no floor that will stand up to the beating it would take from a midrise or scissors lift with the steel wheels....so I didn't do it. I went with Premier Garage Co....and am really pleased with the results...finally after 30 years I have my garage...with 2 P cars in it.!! No pics till I get rid of all the crap I've accumulated for 30 years...but when it's all nice and neat...pics will be forth coming. It's not going to show like some of the guys who have those eat-off-the-floor garages.

Tomorrow I go with Mflec and pick up the 996 so I'll be able to tell you about the MKII sound...and if I like them, I'll be offing a set of Schnell mufflers with about 8K miles on them ($899 new). If I don't like the sound, then I'll be offing the MKII mufflers...either way, something is going to go. No more hanging onto stuff to clutter up the garage.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sowwy, my fault for bringing you off topic.

I checked with my dealer today regarding the impact to my CPO warranty...I got the answer I was suspecting. Only Porsche original parts would be ok or the warranty goes out the window. So I said how about a original Porsche muffler with an extra little pipe on it? To be fair he had to think about that one. But, the answer was the same unfortunately so now I'm not sure what to do. Am I just being too cautious here?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Swede_Matt
Am I just being too cautious here?
Yes.

What is the big concern, the worst that will happen is you void the warranty on your exhaust. Legaly, they can't void your whole warranty. i.e., if your tranny fails they can't say sorry your muffler is modified so you are s.o.l. (unless they can prove the muffler caused it to fail).
Old 04-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Swede: You're into Analysis Paralysis....use the current protocols of the military..."Don't ask, don't tell." First off, there's absolutely nothing in the MKII modification other than making the car sound a little louder....that should in any way affect the performance of the car. No CEL's come on and there are no hiccups in performance. If you look at the factory PSE mufflers, they look almost exactly like the MKII mod except that they have a vacuum controlled solenoid that opens and closes a valve to the bypass. The MKII just doesn't have the ability to close off the bypass. Some guys who buy the PSE's....don't even hook up the dash controlled switch and just run them open all the time. That's the same dogone thing the MKII does...runs open all the time.

I think that....from a dealership perspective....they take the safe road and give you the company line..no mods. That way you can't come back on them for the addition of some doo-dad or other and say that they told you it was OK. Put yourself in a service manager's place. Would you put yourself and possibly your job on the line by going against the company line with some guy you don't even know? Hell no you wouldn't. Now if you knew the service manager personally, he'd tell you something like..."No sweat, but if something goes wrong, make sure you put the OEM mufflers back on before you brind it to me. That way there won't be anything to deny your warranty for"

Just put them on and enjoy the enhanced sound that they make....or take three Valium and call me in the morning.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Just put them on and enjoy the enhanced sound that they make....or take three Valium and call me in the morning.
You are so right, I'm in Analysis Paralysis. I'm going for it. Will call Darin tomorrow and set up a time. I'll probably need those three Valiums but what the heck.

Thanks Ray and Chuck for setting me straight.

Chuck, please psot back with you input once the mufflers are on your car and you've tried it out. Really looking forward to hearing what you think of it.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:47 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Swede: I'm going with mfletch tomorrow to see the car at the shop. He's curious and may want to do this too...I got lazy and had them installed when I had the oil changed by the indy, so I haven't had the opportunity to listen to them...but my curiosity is getting to me so I'll give you an update report tomorrow. BUT...if you listen to Gota911, he's sold on them...and he's been around this forum for some time. From a confidence standpoint, I have little doubt that I'm going to like them. And Yutta-Hey....it's not like you've got a lot of money tied up in this project. You got the mufflers free so you'll only be out the money to Darin...and I'm SURE you could sell them to the guys on this forum no sweat if you didn't like them. Tomorrow's the day....looking forward to it.

Chuck
Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Swede: I'm going with mfletch tomorrow to see the car at the shop. He's curious and may want to do this too...I got lazy and had them installed when I had the oil changed by the indy, so I haven't had the opportunity to listen to them...but my curiosity is getting to me so I'll give you an update report tomorrow. BUT...if you listen to Gota911, he's sold on them...and he's been around this forum for some time. From a confidence standpoint, I have little doubt that I'm going to like them. And Yutta-Hey....it's not like you've got a lot of money tied up in this project. You got the mufflers free so you'll only be out the money to Darin...and I'm SURE you could sell them to the guys on this forum no sweat if you didn't like them. Tomorrow's the day....looking forward to it.

Chuck
Chuck - You're going to LOVE the sound!
Old 04-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Gota911: Well today I went to the shop and fired up the car and am very pleased with the sound of the MKII mufflers.

Swede: Give Darin a call...you're going to love the difference from stock. This means I'll be putting my Schnell mufflers up for sale. They are less than a year old with about 8K miles on them. Go to the Schnell site and take a look...all polished stainless and lighter than the OEM. I'll be asking $500 for anyone interested. I recall I paid around $850 for them...but I think now you can find them for around $780 or so.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Chuck, your new mufflers souded great! Thanks for the ride in the 930...it's an incredible car. I'll look forward to seeing you when the 996 is done.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:23 PM
tennktm
Advanced

Did an MKII on my 2002 996......love the sound...had it done here in BNA....can help you if you are interested.

TENNKTM
Old 04-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Thanks for the posting to let me know how you liked it Chuck. And thanks Mark for the extra confirmation that it does sounds great.

I've already been in contact with Darin. Calling him tonight to see if he got the pipes in for Sunday. If all goes well I'll go see Darin on Sunday and we'll install it after he's done. I'm bringing a camera and will record the before and after sound. Hopefully that will help contribute something to all others that are considering this.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:25 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Swede: Fill us in on your mod that you and Darin did last weekend. Did you do the MKII mod with the 2 1/4 inch stainless pipe? Did you take pictures? How do you like the final results?

I picked up my car today and drove it home....all I can say is that Gota911 was right...I really like the sound that the MKII mod makes.....I also like the fact that at cruising speed, there is no resonance at all. Glad I did this. My Schnells are up for sale if anyone is interested. They're posted on the for sale board.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 AM
jerler
Instructor

I picked up my car today and drove it home....all I can say is that Gota911 was right...I really like the sound that the MKII mod makes.....
Chuck, not to take you back to high school lit, but how would you compare/contrast the the two, Schnell vs. MKII?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Swede: Fill us in on your mod that you and Darin did last weekend. Did you do the MKII mod with the 2 1/4 inch stainless pipe? Did you take pictures? How do you like the final results?
I couldn't get the pipe until Monday, so we didn't get together yet. Hopefully this week will work out. I'm really glad you like the new sound Chuck!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

I'm hoping to be able to take off around lunch time either Thursday or Friday to go see Darin and get the mufflers done. If that doesn't work it will have to be the weekend...pending Darin's schedule.

I'm bringing camera to take pics of it all. You guys already did a great job in documenting it all so I'm not sure I will be able to add any new info.

Looking forward to getting this done and to meet you Darin.

Quick Reply: Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design