Sponsored by:

Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design

I met up with Darin last week and he welded up a set of the 3.6L mufflers that I bought on eBay for $100. Darin bought the 2 1/4 inch stainless pipe and had it on hand. We spent about 3 hours on the project and it turned out really neat. Anyone else in the SF Bay Area that wants to do this mod, contact Darin on Rennlist. Ive taken a series of six photos that I will try to load on here....but I'm not very adept at this...this is my third try to get the pictures to load. Chuck
Attached Images       
Old 03-18-2007, 07:32 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Chuck, It was great to meet you. I can't wait to hear what they sound like.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:36 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great...

Interested in knowing what you think about the mod compared to your aftermarket exhaust
Old 03-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I'll let you know how they compare to the Schnell's I currently have on there. I'm having a garage makeover done this week, so I can't get in there to install them. I'm contacting some of my Porsche friends who have access to a lift to do the install. I have a fused cervical spine...makes it difficult to look up...so I need a lift to do the install. Darin did a great job on them though....he's "FisterD" on the forum if anyone in the Bay Area wants to contact him.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:16 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Chuck - you will love the sound! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Darin - Great job on the mod. The welding looks GREAT!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Chuck,
After our series of emails on muffler mods, glad to see that it all came together - hope the sound matches the excellent 'cut&paste' welding that Darin did!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Garth: Yes, it did finally comes together. Darin and I had a good laugh when I told him that I got him confused with you, and that I was all ready to drive the mufflers to your place when you flagged on my comment about the "Bay Area"....then told me you were in Nova Scotia!

Thanks for the compliments on the muffler mod....but all I did was act like a voyeur and watch Darin...and took the pictures. Darin did a hell of a job...and he made up some templates, so the next time someone wants a mod, he won't have to make all the small adjustments....but I think they came out pretty dogone nice and very sanitary. I can't wait to get them installed....and if they sound like all the folks on this forum say they do....then I'll be offing my Schnells. I do like the Schnells, but I'm looking for a little more throatiness. The Schnells are lighter than these stock mufflers, so I'll be picking up some weight.

For anyone who's contemplating this mod...if you want the 2 1/4 inch stainless piping with the 90degree mandrell bend, it's not cheap....it's $75 from Burns, and you cut it in half. It takes about 5 days to get it...but that size of stainless is not readily available around town.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

so if i was interested in this.... how would i get it?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

meaning not do it myself........
Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I don't get what you're trying to say....How would you get it? Do you mean get the stainless pipe? I just had Darin order it. He's a custom welder and has all the contacts, and had the pipe there waiting for me.

If you mean how would you get the mod done? You'd have to come up with a set of OEM mufflers. From the research I did prior to doing this myself, there are two ways to go...some guys mod the original 3.4L 996 stock mufflers....and I think they refer to these as the MKI mod. The guys who choose to do the 3.6L stock mufflers refer to it as the MKII mod. (I'm guessing at this from what I've read).

There are two ways of doing the mods. The differences are the way you cut out and attach the 90 degree pipe in between the inlet/outlet pipes. There are examples in the forums along with pictures, and folks who will extoll the virtures of each. There are also folks who have used different sized stainless pipe...everything from 1 1/4 to the 2 1/4.

If you mean you don't want to do the mod yourself, you have to find someone like Darin in your area, or there's a guy who sells the mods already done up....I think he's referred to as the "RSR mod"...and you can research/contact him thru archives here on Rennlist. I think he charges $550 PLUS you have to send in a decent set of mufflers as a "core charge"....then he sends you the finished product.

I hope that answers your questions. Good luck in your hunt.../// chuck
Old 03-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

chuck... you answered my question as exactly as i asked it.... Thank you........ now is this mod better then getting say a fabspeed exhaust...? i was told that my exhaust is going to crap out on me.... so i am in hunt of a new one ........ SOON!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Is it "better than getting a Fabspeed exhaust?"....Geez, I really couldn't say because I've never had the opportunity to personally listen to them side-by-side....but from his response, I think Gota911 has the MK mod in his car and he might be able to answer your question more authoritatively. If you do a search on the archives and enter the search criteria "PSE MODDED 3.6 Mufflers-How close in sound to a real PSE", you'll get a whole lot of info on this subject....from guys who have done it. I was influenced by that discussion thread before I decided to do this myself.

I know that the folks who have done this have compared the sound to the PSE exhaust system which will run you a cool $1500. I spent $100 for the mufflers on eBay and paid Darin $150 to do the hard part. I'm not real good at math, but that seems a LOT more cost effective to me.

Good luck...good hunting............. Chuck
Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, those are some pretty good pics you have there! Paint a good descriptive story for anyone wanting to do the mod, or they can print it out and show it to the welder.
And I think Darin did a very neat job, very clean welding and cuts!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Cosmos: Thanks...I wanted to document the process as best as possible for the guys who might want to try this. I had to search a while to get a decent picture of what I wanted Darin to replicate...it's really not that complicated (says me who watched Darin do it all), and for a total capital outlay of $100 for the mufflers on eBay ($30 shipping) plus $150 to Darin...for $280 you've got something that the guys who have done the comparisons say will rival the $1500 PSE setup...minus the PSE vacuum solenoid on/off dash mounted switch of course.

Darin: Are you soaking up all this praise bud? You deserve the kudos. Glad we got together. I'm really pleased Chuck
Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Porsche-Smile - as Chuck stated above I have done this exact mod (MK II mod) to 3.4L mufflers and to 3.6L mufflers. The 3.4L cans were a little louder than my stock 3.6L mufflers, but I was disappointed that the sound wasn't louder and lower.

Then I did the same mod on the 3.6L mufflers. They sound MUCH better than the 3.4L mufflers. IMO, they sound about 85% to 90% of true PSE mufflers (I have heard true PSE mufflers only once).

Below is some information about the different muffler versions and the different PSE MOD versions.

MUFFLERS
3.4L mufflers - have a straight pipe coming from the cat (left muffler shown in 1st pic)
3.6L mufflers - have a accordion pipe coming from the cat (right muffler shown in 1st pic).
Both versions of the stock OEM mufflers have 3 internal chambers, which the exhaust must pass through prior to exiting the outlet pipe.

PSE MODS
PSE MK I mod - a small pipe (usually 3/4" to 1 1/4" in diameter) is added between the inlet pipe (coming from the cats) to the outlet pipe which holds the exhaust tips. The exhaust passing through the "new" pipe never goes through the muffler, so the sound is louder and lower. The MK I mod is shown in the 2nd pic (note that the MK I mod has been done on 3.6L mufflers).

PSE MK II mod - the "cap" at the corner of the muffler is removed. Then a hole is cut into the outlet pipe. Then a 2" to 2 1/4" diameter pipe is connected from the new opening on the muffler to the hole in the outlet pipe. This mod allows some of the exhaust to bypass the 3rd chamber in the muffler. The resulting sound is louder and lower than the stock muffler sound. The MK II mod is shown in the 3rd pic.

Either mod (MK I or MK II) can be done to either the 3.4L or the 3.6L muffler. However, from what I have heard in person and from video clips, if you are working with 3.4L mufflers and want to get the sound that most resembles true PSE sound, then you should do the MK I mod. Someone here recently did the 3.4L and a slightly different version of the MK I mod and posted a sound clip. As near as I could tell from that sound clip, those mufflers it sounded just like my 3.6L mufflers with the MK II mod, which I like VERY much.

If you want to get as close to true PSE sound as possible, listed below are my recommended/not recommended combinations. Remember these are just my opinions, and as the lawyers would write….. your mileage may vary…. no guarantee, expressed or implied…. Void where prohibited…. etc., etc., etc.

3.4L mufflers
o MK I mod – recommended (heard this on a video clip and sounds good)
o MK II mod - NOT recommended (personally did this – not worth it)

3.6L mufflers
o MK I mod - recommended (I have not heard this combo in person or on a video clip)
o MK II mod – recommended (have this now and I love it)

Hope this helps!
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Modding the 3.6L mufflers for a MKII design