Sponsored by:

Yet another PSE style exhaust mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:03 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Wayne - that is a good comparison between the three different clips. I have to say that those clips are very similar sounding to the 3.6L mufflers modded with the MK II PSE mod (currently on my car).

I think you have demonstrated that the MK I PSE mod (or your variant) is better sounding than the MK II PSE mod option for the guys with 3.4L mufflers. Well done!
Old 03-10-2007, 11:03 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds very similar to my 3.6L engine w/ 3.6L cat w/ MKII. Good job.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Dscott
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I performed this mod last weekend following closely the instructions provided in this post. It took a couple of hours plus time to get the welding done. FYI - Be sure to allow for the extra effort of cutting and trimming the SS tubing; it will quickly dull a typical hacksaw blade. I used my bench grinder and pneumatic die grinder to produce a close fit for tig welding.

After installation (Now I’m sorry I didn’t record stock levels, too) I was able to borrow a sound level meter and recorded the values shown below. These are averages of two constant-speed runs, one in each direction with the windows up and radio off on my 2000 C4 coupe 6sp daily driver.

I can confirm previous post about no resonance or drone at cruse. Idle has a nice sound, too. Level is a little louder than I wanted when at mid-throttle acceleration, and while low in tone it also has a high frequency component I attribute to the small diameter SS tube dumping in so close to the end of the exhaust path. Overall the engine seems really crisp and pulls more easily at low RPM in higher gears. I suspect, but did not measure, a significant reduction in exhaust backpressure.

Speed - ‘A’ weighted sound level
60 MPH - 66 db
70 MPH - 69 db
80 MPH - 71 db
Old 03-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

that kicks a$$... thanks wyane.... i think this is the next mod for me.... anyone in Socal willing to help out a fellow pcar brother...?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 PM
waynesworld
Intermediate

I'm happy to hear that others like this mod as much as I have. I think this is a good approach for those with the mkI 3.4 mufflers. The mkII mod may be best for the 3.6 mufflers as the flex joint at the inlet would probably be in the way of this design.

I have added a few more pics of the modification in case it helps others interested in doing this project.

Dscott, the db readings are helpful! I'm glad you're happy with the result.

-Wayne
Attached Images       
Old 11-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Melchior
Pro

Anyone else done this mod recently?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 PM
PEDROPORSCHE
2nd Gear

Hello:

following your guide I made your modification propousal in my 3.4 MK1, but I have introduce an improvement, it is an exahust valve in the middle, so my plan is to install now the PSE button in the car so I can decide on/off as the original porsche PSE system.
Now my only problem is to know parts number of the button and also to know from where take vacum air conection. somebody knows?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, this is the first I have seen of this hack. Why has this one gotten so much less press than the other pse hack?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Last Car
Advanced

I just got my mufflers back for my muffler shop yesterday. I had them (folks at the muffler shop) order the pipe for "Classis Tube" but when it arrived it looked way to small so I had the muffler folks use a 1 1/2 pipe and bend it and had it installed on the 'cans'. While all this was being done (I give them the mufflers around the middle of March) I've been driving around with the muffler by-pass pipes.....very loud, so I was getting kind of pushie about getting the job done. I got the mufflers installed about 2030 hours last night and just had time to start the engine so I could hear the new sound. Much better then stock and much quieter then the muffler by-pass pipes. I'll finish up this afternoon and see what it sounds like on the road. Now I have to find a home for not only the Classis Tube pipe but also the muffler by-pass pipes.
Anyway ya'll can add me to the MK I or MK II, which ever this kind of 'MOD' is, better sound group!
Have a great day,
Patrick
Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 AM
996superfly
Instructor

This is my recent exhaust mod. Dual bypass pipes. Similar to Gembella.

http://videos.pcars.us/video/64c9ccf...990000677f.htm

http://videos.pcars.us/video/0941f27...9801438f37.htm
Old 06-18-2009, 05:02 AM
adnanm3
Advanced

I know I am bringing this thread back form the dead..but has anyone else done this recently?

Wayne (the original poster) used 1 1/4 pipe between the inlet and outlet. I am just wondering if anyone else has done this, and what are your results? Have you used the same sized piping? Will a larger diameter pipe produce more sound?
And can I bring this to any muffler shop and have it done? Do they generally have this size/shape piping in stock or is it something I should order in advance?

Thanks alot!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done the mod on the stock mufflers of my 2000 996 with the 1.5" pipe. I ordered a U-shaped piece online and for the cutting and welding I took it to a local fabricator that I found online. This was after getting very lukewarm responses from the local big chain muffler shops.

The sound at anything above 1/3 open throttle is pretty aggressive, I would say close to straight pipes, and do not recommend even more blow-by via this J-pipe.

Joost
Old 06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
adnanm3
Advanced

wonderful. I might have to go with 1.5" then.
Out of curiousity, do the local welders no have 1.5" pipes lying around? Must it be ordered online?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Joe90mmm
6th Gear

Default Amazing

Just did it...3,4 can,...perfect sound ! Now it sound like a Porsche. and on highway its like there is no mod. Only in load you can ear this great Porsche sound.
Thx
Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Joe, the sound is greatly improved isn't it?

Now down to business! It is customary for Newbies to introduce themselves and post pics of their Porsche! You might want to start a new thread for the introduction and pics. Consider this next sentence your "Newbie Initiation!"

Come on Newbie, post the !@#$%^&* pics!

Damn, it felt good to say that again!

Quick Reply: Yet another PSE style exhaust mod