996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Yet another PSE style exhaust mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:47 AM
NJS1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am salivating to hear this. Can anyone repost the sound clips? For some reason the ones from 07 are coming up as "invalid or corrupt" when I open them. Thx.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the 1-1/4" mod recently and, coming from factory MkII PSE, it is not loud enough for my tastes. I would rate the 1-1/4" pipe hack about a third of the way between stock and PSE in volume. The sound is not as low in frequency as it would be with a larger pipe. Mostly a mid-range frequency volume increase.
I'm glad to see jperquin tried the 1-1/2" pipe. If I were to do it again, I go at least 1-1/2" probably larger, maybe even 2". I think some guys have done the 2" direct bypass (inlet - outlet) pipe on 997 stock cans with excellent results.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Joe90mmm
6th Gear

The sound is greatly improved indeed ! I do DE events with PCA and I can tell you that my exhaust sound almost the same as other with sport or modified exhaust. If you want more sound at idle or no load then go bigger, otherwise I love it that way, not loud at all at part throttle, but when you floor it ...wow great sport sound. Simply I love it that way. Its a question of taste.

Will post my pics soon !!!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Joe90mmm
6th Gear

Oh yeah, and by the way it cost me 8$ for the pipe at the scrap yard at a bottle of wine for the friend who ''tig'' it.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:17 AM
akfalar
Advanced

Curious, does this mod add any Hp?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:47 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

No, it does not add any HP. Just better sound so it adds to your "enjoyment HP."
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

Everything that I think is going to be straight forwards winds up being anything but. I decided to go with this mod and bought a set of 3.4 cans from a fellow Rennlister. I ordered the stainless tubing from Classic Tube. I printed out all of the pictures and took them to a local muffler shop that does custom work. They didn't want to work on them because of the stainless steel, but recommended a welder in the area. I took everything to the welder and showed him the photos. When we pulled the cans out of the box, they were different than the ones in the photos. There are bellows in the place where one of the holes needs to be drilled, so this mod can't be done. He said he might be able to move the tube to another location, but then I'm not sure if it would be in the way when trying to install them. His estimate for doing the welding was $300, and I don't want to take the chance that after all of that, they won't fit.

Apparently Tip cars have these bellows for some reason. Does anyone have pictures of the mod with these kinds of cans?

Last edited by wyovino; 11-01-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Everything that I think is going to be straight forwards winds up being anything but. I decided to go with this mod and bought a set of 3.4 cans from a fellow Rennlister. I ordered the stainless tubing from Classic Tube. I printed out all of the pictures and took them to a local muffler shop that does custom work. They didn't want to work on them because of the stainless steel, but recommended a welder in the area. I took everything to the welder and showed him the photos. When we pulled the cans out of the box, they were different than the ones in the photos. There are bellows in the place where one of the holes needs to be drilled, so this mod can't be done. He said he might be able to move the tube to another location, but then I'm not sure if it would be in the way when trying to install them. His estimate for doing the welding was $300, and I don't want to take the chance that after all of that, they won't fit.

Apparently Tip cars have these bellows for some reason. Does anyone have pictures of the mod with these kinds of cans?
Bellows? You must have a 3.6 can instead of 3.4...... you can still do this mod.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Bellows? You must have a 3.6 can instead of 3.4...... you can still do this mod.
Not necessarily, my 3.4 6spd had bellows on the mufflers.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OZ951
Not necessarily, my 3.4 6spd had bellows on the mufflers.
I dont think so.... are you the original owner? Cans with the bellows started with the 3.6. Your 99, did not come that way from the factory.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:17 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

I've been told that Tip cars came from the factory with bellows on the exhaust. My 2000 C2 Tip has them as does the set I bought from another Rennlister with a similar car.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 AM
SS911
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your voice is amazing.Bravo.
But ı want to ask question.
I listen your clips.
'After ' clip voice is some like too much voice or maybe your recording tape.
but my question.
for example fister d 996 sport mufflers vs your sport mufflers.
the voice is same or your voice is little much.
ıf your voice is little much how can i decrease this voice little bit.
do you have any other camera recording - starting the car - increasing the speed.
thanks a lot.
SS
Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Why waste the time & do a ghetto job when you can just buy fister D's for only $250? & get excellent sound!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 AM
SS911
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kardeşim.
This is so hard for me.
Firstly You know i live in Turkey.I cant send my mufflers back to Darin Fister.
These things is so hard in Turkey.
Second thing If Darin Fister will send to me my sport mufflers.
I search this thing.Maybe i cant take this from Turkish Customs.
Because there is some hard things.
And ı cant send my mufflers back so my price is increasing.
Not 200 dolar. 200 dolar + 395 dolar + ups price 200 dolar + not secure for custom.
Actually I want to buy Darin Fister sure.But ı must make myself.

So ı must take this questions answers.My before message.Please give me answer about this.
Because this is dangerous if i make this mod to my mufflers and its very very high voice.
ı am unhappy
Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SS911
Kardeşim.
This is so hard for me.
Firstly You know i live in Turkey.I cant send my mufflers back to Darin Fister.
These things is so hard in Turkey.
Second thing If Darin Fister will send to me my sport mufflers.
I search this thing.Maybe i cant take this from Turkish Customs.
Because there is some hard things.
And ı cant send my mufflers back so my price is increasing.
Not 200 dolar. 200 dolar + 395 dolar + ups price 200 dolar + not secure for custom.
Actually I want to buy Darin Fister sure.But ı must make myself.

So ı must take this questions answers.My before message.Please give me answer about this.
Because this is dangerous if i make this mod to my mufflers and its very very high voice.
ı am unhappy
Evet Kardash, i wasn't directing the comment to you, i know your in Turkey & wouldn't beable to get FISTER D i was directing comment to the guy who made the thread As for the sound, yes if the sound is LOUD it will not be good, so you MUST make sure you make this mod correct, and find a good shop & welder to do it...maybe would be good idea, to buy a set of USED Porsche Muffler and do it on just incase its too loud & you dont like you just put yours back on!

Here is Video Klip of FISTER D on mine, i really love it..not loud but perfect & only a bit loud when i punch the gas!
http://youtu.be/itiC_wMmNKw

Quick Reply: Yet another PSE style exhaust mod