Sponsored by:

Kid-proofing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Irksome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kid-proofing

3 days of ownership so far, what a thrill!

My 5-year-old rides in the back, and I'm concerned about the effect he is going to have on the car. It is currently in perfect condition, and I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible.

I'm specifically looking for recommendations for two things, and open to suggestions for anything y'all might have learned. First, the back of the front seat is going to be receiving lots of kicks and pokes. Is there any product out there for safely covering the back, like a clear bra equivalent? I suppose I'd be open to a seat cover, though I've always thought they were tacky.

Second, while I would like to say 'NO FOOD, NO DRINKS!', reality will eventually set in if I want to take the family on any long outing. Anyone have product suggestions for protecting the back seats and foot wells?

Any suggestions at all for kid-proofing would be great. =)
Old 03-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Ramp
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sell the kid. Only kidding (no pun intended). I have a few slight scratches on mine, all the result of my 2.5 yr old - nothing you can do about it. I felt better once I just accepted the fact that I have kids and s__t happens.

At least I don't have to worry about them steeling it for joy rides when I'm away - at least not yet.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a clear plastic cover that straps around the seat and covers only the back of the seat... you can get them from babies 'r' us.

...here it is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Comfort-.../dp/B000067QIJ

The other thing is to ensure that no food is allowed in the car. I have a 16 month old and if it's a long drive where we cannot stop, then we take another car. I don't allow food in any of my cars.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:38 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I have a clear plastic cover that straps around the seat and covers only the back of the seat... you can get them from babies 'r' us.

...here it is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Comfort-.../dp/B000067QIJ

The other thing is to ensure that no food is allowed in the car. I have a 16 month old and if it's a long drive where we cannot stop, then we take another car. I don't allow food in any of my cars.
That is a great idea, thanks for sharing. I also have a 16 month old and was wondering the same thing. For the record, I do not allow food in my cars either - long trips are in the wife's Durango.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

yeah... before we had our son I saw too many cars of people that had kids that looked fast food trash cans - it just disgusts me.

I've never allowed kids to eat in my cars... as you said, we take the SUV if we have a long drive.

My wife hates having our son in the car for long periods anyway, so that mostly helps on the food issue. We took a ski trip to Vermont over the last weekend and I just made sure that I planned to stop for fuel around the time that he needed to eat and all went well in both directions.

..another thought - I also have a rubber mat that sits between the seat and the infant seat - that stops the leather from getting damaged.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:01 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, when I had my first kid, my wife would never let me off on a Porsche excursion for most of the day! I now have two (girl, 4, boy, 2), and it's still pretty much impossible to leave my wife alone with the kids on "her days off" - meaning the weekend! D'oh! I'd really like to join the 4/15 ride and check out some nice 996's before I buy one!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AndyK
Wow, when I had my first kid, my wife would never let me off on a Porsche excursion for most of the day! I now have two (girl, 4, boy, 2), and it's still pretty much impossible to leave my wife alone with the kids on "her days off" - meaning the weekend! D'oh! I'd really like to join the 4/15 ride and check out some nice 996's before I buy one!
I thought you were joining us, did something change?

As for 4/15, well, I my wife and kid will be staying home on that day. They are happy to do drives of a couple of hours, but my wife doesn't like to do longer drives with my son in the back... so I get a navigator. I don't do it that often and I'm thankful that I have a wife that not only encouraged me to buy the Porsche, but also encourages me to go and play with the PCA.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let the kids have the front seat????
Old 03-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

I'm with Ramp - once you resolve the fact that you have kids and not to stress, it makes the ride more fun...
Old 03-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

I also have a 5 yr old and he was 3 when I bought the car brand new. My rule is shoes come off when he gets inside the car, and he's used to it by now. I keep a pair of "crocs" or sandals for him in the car to make life easier. So far no scuff marks or scratches. Regarding snacks or drinks, indeed life happens and on long trips (which we enjoy doing) got to have them. I encourage healthy snacks for him while in the car (with low or no grease), no milk products, and try to use no spill bottles for juices, and water is always OK. So far so good on this as well.

I placed plastic mats on the rear (clear mats made by Lloyd), and they work great. I'm also more vigilant on cleaning, maintaining and conditioning the leather. It still looks brand new to me.

I truly enjoy my son's company in the P-car, it is probably the biggest enjoyment I get out of the car. He loves riding with me and my wife, and I always look forward to sharing a nice drive with them.

So have fun and enjoy your dream with those closest to you!

Quick Reply: Kid-proofing