996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

RSS Plenums?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fletch - I'd like to see a picture of the stock piece.
Does anyone know if this new unit needs a chip to maximize benefit or of it can be used with an aftermarket CAI (EVO or K&N)?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

You guys diss the Turbonator but buy this, they are both snake oil! This plenum is nothing but a glorified vortex booster / fuel saver.

Ciao,

J.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mr. C4; 03-05-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:58 PM
auto-xr
Racer

I could be interested as well if the price is right.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of points. The X51 kit uses a different intake manifold, heads, cams, headers and software to make 25 hp so you're being pretty optimistic thinking you're going to get 20 from just the plenum. Second, the dyno chart shows a reasonable (small) gain throughout the rpm range but not enough that it would be noticable in the car. The 19 hp gain when the cams shifted has more to do with the fact that they shifted a couple of hundred rpms later on the blue run. I don't think that had anything to do with the plenum. I'd be interested in seeing all 6 runs.
Jim
Old 03-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

has anyone done this mod before? and the issue with GMG having a car running around with this mod for the past year? yeah.... where is it?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
jw996
Rennlist Member

I've called GMG and waiting for them to return call, will post after I hear. JW
Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

good job jw.....see if they can provide some dyno and if there's a group buy discount
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
jw996
Rennlist Member

Talked to GMG and they are working on $ also. I asked if it is snake oil and he said that with the Y design you are createing more velocity entering the engine. The more modified the car(exhaust,flash,etc.) the more effect you will have. It will not throw you back in the seat like a turbo or super but you will probably notice the difference. I also asked why dyno run shows more improvement on 3.4 and it is due to the design incorporated in the engine banks from factory. 3.6 has different design which doesn't respond as well. Will update with $. I bet it will probably be around$800, if $ is $950 + -. JW
Old 03-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Kolshak
Racer

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...t=75109&page=4

FYI - if interested check out the most recent response from RRS and a drawing of design.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

I love it when RSS uses the word "should" over at 6speedonline in the thread about the same product.

"3. All plenums "should" provide improved performance with any and all other mods. We haven't tested the plenum with any after market super chargers but the plenum allows for greater air flow so fundamentally it should enhance any forced induction system."

UNQUOTE

Come on everybody get your snake oil while it's hot!

Ciao,

J.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the air was being blown into the system this design and the diagram would make sense but remember the air is being sucked in. In other words, it's being sucked around the corner, not blown into the T and forced around the corner.

I just checked my cars and, while I didn't take them apart, it looks like they all have the T design. That makes me a little skeptical. Porsche put a lot of development into the X51 and the cup car.
Jim
Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimB
If the air was being blown into the system this design and the diagram would make sense but remember the air is being sucked in. In other words, it's being sucked around the corner, not blown into the T and forced around the corner.

I just checked my cars and, while I didn't take them apart, it looks like they all have the T design. That makes me a little skeptical. Porsche put a lot of development into the X51 and the cup car.
Jim
Exactly!

On a turbo car, maybe but on a NA car, no way!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Kolshack, I just spent the last hour searching through my garage for my old intake manifold assembly. I thought so highly of it that I tossed it in the garbage once I got my car assembled. The quality of the stock manifold is terrible. I will attach some pictures of my engine while I was assembling it. You should be able to see the plenum from different angles.
To the sceptics: I'm always surprised when performance parts for the Porsche are being discussed. A well designed header will add performance to a Mustang a Corvette, a Mercedes, or any other car....but people doubt the performance gains claimed by manufacturers of aftermarket Porsche parts. Take a look under your Porsche at the stock header, then look at a quality aftermarket header. It's not difficult to see that it can be improved upon.
Attached Images       
Old 03-06-2007, 02:49 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry guys, one more rant while I'm on a roll. I don't understand the analogy of being sucked versus being blown....either one sounds fine Seriously, if you put a better intake manifold on a naturally aspirated engine, you will get more power.....if you do the same to a supercharged or turbocharged engine you will also get more power.
In the post on the six speed forum, the representative from RSS states to Deputy Dog, "If you do not make the power that is stated, we will give you a full refund". That does not sound like snake oil to me.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Sorry guys, one more rant while I'm on a roll. I don't understand the analogy of being sucked versus being blown....either one sounds fine Seriously, if you put a better intake manifold on a naturally aspirated engine, you will get more power.....if you do the same to a supercharged or turbocharged engine you will also get more power.
In the post on the six speed forum, the representative from RSS states to Deputy Dog, "If you do not make the power that is stated, we will give you a full refund". That does not sound like snake oil to me.
What is he supposed to say?! He has to stand by his product or he is fcucked! You are really the perfect customer that I'm sure breed Sea Monkeys as well. Never mind, run along now and get yourelf a very expensive piece of aluminium that will look nice as a paper weight.

Quick Reply: RSS Plenums?