Sponsored by:

RSS Plenums?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007 | 11:41 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by lfe
cobra06

Nowhere in my post did I call porsche engineers inept !!! The 996 is a first generation engine. In any first generation engineering design you never get all the performance possible out of any product. It is evolution of the design that leads to it. This engine is a masterpiece for a first generation, getting better in each new version.
With 4 posts here you have probably not heard of the thing called RMS. So much for masterpiece............................
Old 03-06-2007 | 11:44 PM
jw996
Rennlist Member

I been hearing more PMS.
Old 03-06-2007 | 11:48 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

An internal combustion engine is a positive displacement pump and as such will take in as much air as displaced by the pistons at any given pressure. The air does not stop at any point, T or not. I compaired the diameter of the plenum to the size of a 8 cyl. 5.7 L Corvette MAF and it is comparable in diameter. I'm thinking the Porsche design is more than large enough to accomodate any demands placed on it. As to 25 HP gain, I have serious doubts. I've been wrong before but I don't think so this time.

Has anyone seen the size of the restrictors placed on some racing series cup cars, I'm thinking the inlets are the size of a large thumb and they still make over 400 HP.
Old 03-06-2007 | 11:50 PM
lfe
Instructor

Originally Posted by jw996
I been hearing more PMS.
Thx jw996. I posted an engineer's opinion why in theory this might enhance airflow, and I got flamed. Only 4 posts recently, I don't remember what handle I used to post under back when I had a 996. Been a couple of years since lease was up, I am really missing the sweetest car I ever owned, ready for another.
Old 03-07-2007 | 01:08 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

can I jump in here?????? OK....this is my 2nd Porsche and I QUICKLY learned that almost all mods LOSE HP....why? The car is designed so efficiently. Thats all it is. The 3.4L has more room for improvement, but there is AT MOST another 20-25 hp TOTAL available in the motor. You will have to spend a good $3-5K to get it. This makes it cost prohibitive for most. Every 6 months or so there is a product that claims 25HP...simple bolt on....Wasnt it the K&N intake last? Before that such and such exhaust...then before that so and so chip, then the ebay headers...etc....Some of these products do indeed make positive HP SOMEWHERE in the power band...usually the high end...but at the expense of low end torque....For race cars and track cars, this is perfectly fine...for street cars, not so much as you feel the loss all the time. So what good is an extra 10 hp at 6000 rpm when you lose it at 2000? Headers SOMETIMES work for the same reasons. Just throwing headers on a car doesnt mean it will be more efficient. When building a 1976 BMW 2002 car with the stock engine putting out a whopping 95 HP...I thought about exhaust, dual carb, etc...I found out the driveability of that car would be severely compromised because it would gain a ton of HP on the top end, but lose alot on the low end...The muffler that was the most efficient and geve the best performance? STOCK. The hot carb setup wasnt an expensive Dual Sidedraft, although it looked mean...but a single weber 2 barrel gave the best overall performance...Similar thing here...the efficiency of the M96 engine is about 95%...getting the last 5% is costly and 5% on 300hp is 15hp....Also the HP of any engine from the factory can vary +/- 5%....so if your particular engine was strong, it will put out 315 hp....I say engine the car....all this talk about 15-20hp is almost useless....especially when you may get what, a .1 second advantage to 60?...ok rant over...if someone gets it....then report back.
Old 03-07-2007 | 02:00 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I asked about this last year and thought Sharkwerks said these provide no gains? These have been on sale in Performance Products Catalog for years.
Old 03-07-2007 | 02:28 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I'm already running aftermarket headers, mufflers, GIAC chip, and EVOM CAI....and I'm not sure I can get much more out of the car with a bolt-on approach to HP gains. Just those modifications have run me about $3900...so I don't think I'm going to put in another $1,000 to see if I can pick up (doubtful) another couple of horses. There are only so many horses you can realistically pick up with bolt ons...and with what I've already got, I'm not sure there's much room for improvement. I'm certainly not willing to blow another grand to find out. You folks who make the jump can tell the rest of us how it works out. I hope someone does an independent dyno. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who plans to do this and who has done the same mods I have. Chuck
Old 03-07-2007 | 05:26 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, your car felt great when I drove it on Monday...I think your mods were money well spent. I'll be the dummy that wastes his hard earned money on this new part, then you can take mine for a drive and let me know if you can tell the difference from when you drove it on Monday. If EVO would get the supercharger CARB certified, I would buy it. I want TT power without 4 wheel drive...I drove my buddies, I loved the power. The problem is, I'm still a juvenile delinquint. I like to be able to light up the back tires when I want. My wifies car has 420 ft/lb of torque and can roast them at will. She shouldn't be the only one that gets to have fun!
Old 03-07-2007 | 06:28 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the G-tech. See you Saturday.
Old 03-07-2007 | 06:28 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Mfletch here is a question what is the difference between the old and new evo intake? Woth the money or just more intake noise? Sorry to go off topic, so back on topic did they actually test this part with an evo intake or with a stock.
Old 03-07-2007 | 06:56 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

rountreed, I just had mine parked next to Chuck Jones (fellow Rennlist member) 996 on Monday. His has the new intake. It appears to be designed so that it does not take in as much hot air from the engine compartment. I'll see Chuck on Saturday at a PCA event. If you like, I can take a picture of both and post them. I think it was worth the money both for the sound and performance. If you look at my post within the last couple days regarding 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, it appears that I improved the performance of my car with the cold air intake, headers, and mufflers. I know that there are others who will disagree with me about the gains, so please judge for yourself. If you ever come to California, I'll gladly offer you my car for an afternoon in exchange for a ride in your jet.
Old 03-07-2007 | 07:18 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I think I will be in Iraq well before I make it to Calif. but the offer is very nice. I have read reviews on the older evo intake before but just have never been told what exactly they improved.
Thanks
Derek
Old 03-07-2007 | 09:39 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Derek, please be careful. My family and I appreciate what you do.
Old 03-08-2007 | 02:26 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mark/Derek:
To be truthful, I really don't think there's that much difference between the old and new EVO CAI's. From a logical point of view, I'm sure that EVO has some engineering and design considerations into the new intake...and in looking back and forth between Mark's and my car, the newer intake does seal off the air filter from the rest of the engine compartment, and channels air thru a plenum from the intake scoop on the left side of the trunk lid. But just exactly how much more efficient the newer design is, I really can't say that I see there'd be that much of a HP gain....maybe runs a bit cooler??
Mark: Did you think that the GIAC chip did that much more for the car as compared to yours? Granted, we're running tip vs manual...but I don't know if the butt dyno was that conclusive...We need to do another comparison drive.

I'll bring my camera too this weekend Mark and we can take the pics for the forum if they want to see the differences in the CAI's. See you there.......Chuck
Old 03-08-2007 | 11:09 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, I thought the chip felt like a noticeable improvement. I'm going to stick my neck out and get the plenum first. Are you having fun with the G-tech? See you Saturday.

Quick Reply: RSS Plenums?