996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

RSS Plenums?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:29 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody tried this mod yet on a regular 996?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:43 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

if it worked on a SC why wouldnt it work for an NA car... they didnt designed the plennum based a on an SC so why wouldnt it work... Im a believer in performance mod... granted they dont give that much noticeable power, but they do give better values, and that is the whole point. If the mod is reliable and doesnt blow your engine and increases performance then its a good mod.
I just hate when people say porsche engineers know more...but in reality, its more than just engineers who have input on building an engine.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redridge
if it worked on a SC why wouldnt it work for an NA car... they didnt designed the plennum based a on an SC so why wouldnt it work... Im a believer in performance mod... granted they dont give that much noticeable power, but they do give better values, and that is the whole point. If the mod is reliable and doesnt blow your engine and increases performance then its a good mod.
I just hate when people say porsche engineers know more...but in reality, its more than just engineers who have input on building an engine.
well said.... but i think it's a question more of a value to power ratio question.... if it only adds around 2-3% more power for $1K, is it worth the value.... i think here on rennlist, it's not whether or not something adds quality to the engine, but rather does it add quality with value.... i feel that our cars are NOT cheap so if it's possible to save here and there and have the sense that we got something well worth the money it JUST MAKES US FEEL BETTER.....
Old 04-24-2007, 03:20 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
well said.... but i think it's a question more of a value to power ratio question.... if it only adds around 2-3% more power for $1K, is it worth the value.... i think here on rennlist, it's not whether or not something adds quality to the engine, but rather does it add quality with value.... i feel that our cars are NOT cheap so if it's possible to save here and there and have the sense that we got something well worth the money it JUST MAKES US FEEL BETTER.....
I understand what your saying, but if you look here: http://roadsportsupply.com/IPD_Plenums_Porsche.html
the 3.4 996 increase 25hp/22lb for $1k... if the mod comes close to that, which I think it will, (the SC guy who did before/after dyno had 24hp increase, RSS stated 14hp for the 3.6. HP increase due to the SC, assuming). What other mod out there has these performance numbers for $1k. Not, any exhaust, headers, intake or flash by itself. Maybe together and your looking at $2.5K at least. Forget Porsche they want $17k for 25HP. I would rather have 120HP/80lb for $10k and get the SC. Yeah Porsche know how to get 25hp by doing internal mod, but someone did it cheaper, nothing wrong with that. I think the plennum is the best mod for the money.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i would have to agree... if the plenum does produce as stated... what we need now is an NA car with before and after and a couple of us to verify this... if so, this is a deal........im still waiting until my car can fly..........
Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tippy
Just take a look at the factory piece your are replacing, it is humongus for the airflow needed to support the 296/300/320hp these engines put out.

For Porsche to get the same gain, it took a bunch of parts (sorry I dont have the list off the top of my head).

This may sound stupid but I am looking out for people not to be taken.

Where is the car(s) that have the intake installed for a year now, why now are we hearing about them, why not a year ago.

Just some things to think about.
On 6speed I asked the same question, RSS stated that they wanted to release the whole line of plennums rather than trickle the finshed product. Tunners have been doing this mod for years, they even put them on cup cars...theres room for improvement on these cars.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, I think there is snake oil involved. As Jim mentioned and a few of us have dished out $15k to prove, the X51 took MAJOR work to make 25hp. The first thing to notice on the dyno sheet is that the difference in only where the vario cam has kicked on one but not on the other. The "max" HP is actually LOWER on the Y Plenum. My suspicion is that the dyno runs were in different gears and the loading was enough to move the point at which the computer kicks in the vario cam. I believe K&N has the same deal with their claims. Is the plenum worth something... quite possible 1 or 2 hp. Is that worth a $1000.00????? Want to make your car go faster in a straight line, put on a supercharger or bolt in nitrous or buy a TT or GT3.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

redridge, I agree with you 100%. I will put my money where my mouth is as soon as I can scrape together a few extra dollars. I won't do a before and after dyno, but I will do a before and after 0-60 and 1/4 mile run with my G-Tech. I've already done B&B headers and mufflers plus the EVO cold air intake. I plan on doing the plenum and GIAC chip (or flash). I would love to add a SC; however, I don't want to deal with trying to smog an illegal car every two years. If I only make my tiptronic as fast as a 6-speed car, I will be a happy camper.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
IMHO, I think there is snake oil involved. As Jim mentioned and a few of us have dished out $15k to prove, the X51 took MAJOR work to make 25hp. The first thing to notice on the dyno sheet is that the difference in only where the vario cam has kicked on one but not on the other. The "max" HP is actually LOWER on the Y Plenum. My suspicion is that the dyno runs were in different gears and the loading was enough to move the point at which the computer kicks in the vario cam. I believe K&N has the same deal with their claims. Is the plenum worth something... quite possible 1 or 2 hp. Is that worth a $1000.00????? Want to make your car go faster in a straight line, put on a supercharger or bolt in nitrous or buy a TT or GT3.
Of course x51 is major work...your cracking the motor. Your saying the plennum might possibly get 1-2hp, can you tell us how you got these numbers?
Porsche gets to me sometimes... does the x51 kit have any exotic materials that is different than the stock? I dont think so, the only difference is the design of the x51...more aggressive design, so why didnt they just give us the x51 design instead...marketing, its all about money. Why does a $65K car jumps to $97K because of options, x51 is just one of those options to rape customers who wants a little more power.... Ill stick with aftermarket, expensive as they are, compared to Porsche, Im glad the tunner guys are around.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:07 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
i would have to agree... if the plenum does produce as stated... what we need now is an NA car with before and after and a couple of us to verify this... if so, this is a deal........im still waiting until my car can fly..........
is it flying yet?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mfletch: If you buy the plenum...I think I can arrange for a before and after dyno. Since you have a NA car...maybe we can put some of the mystique to rest here....however since you have a Tip...will that affect anything? Logic says HP is still HP regardless of transmission. (Yes/No??)
Old 04-25-2007, 01:24 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want to lose too much torque for the torque converter.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:37 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 996CABOVA
Guys these NA engines HAVE NO ROOM IN THEM to produce these numbers. We have gone over this time and time again. The 3.4 L I think is better to squezze some hp and trq out of them than 3.6 L. IMO its a waste of 1k. So until someone buys this thing and puts it in their car and says WOW this piece is a MUST HAVE forget it. If these things produce 27 hp like some of these Dynos ive seen... Ill personally give away my car to The Salvation Army
Salvation Army is gonna love you!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 AM
itorque
Instructor

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I coughed and out came some plenum...
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

996CABOVA: What city do you live in so I can contact the Salvation Army there and see where their storage yard is? I just want to be helpful here....anything for a fellow Rennlister.

Quick Reply: RSS Plenums?