996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody using driving gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:27 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One time driving in Italy to Lake Como, I could have used driving gloves - my hands were red and close to blistering from everyone pushing me on a scary mountain road. It seemed everyone wanted to go faster faster faster, which was pretty fun. I was driving a VW Kubelwagon (similar to a "thing"). When we got to Como (from Switzerland), I'll admit my hands were a little bit sore, but nothing that a few cold beers and a pizza couldn't fix.

Since then I haven't really seen the need to use driving gloves. I think it's one of those fashion things more than anything practical. But if you like em - go for it. I'd feel stupid I think.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Smile

Nope never ever, however I use gloves when my hands are cold outside.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Exactly what I was thinking!! Driving gloves are from the days of cars with no heat, and hard wood steering wheels. With a nice leather steering wheel, plenty of heat, and power steering, you don't really need gloves.
Must not live where it gets really cold. Try getting in your car and driving home at 7pm in the winter when its 20 degrees F outside. For those first 10 minutes, your hands hurt like a **** because that wheel is, well, about 20 degrees F.

Sure, if the ***** in Stuttgart had given me the option of a heated wheel, I'd not be in this bind, but they didnt'. So gloves it is... and I'll keep them in the glove box. Sounds silly, since they would be at 20F also, but my body will heat them up in short order and then they insulate me from that frozen friggen thick, leather wrapped icicle I must use to steer the car.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:56 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL.

Driving gloves always make me laugh.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 PM
TheDarkYak
Intermediate

Personally, with driving & other activities, I don't like anything in between my skin & whatever it is I'm interacting with. Kinda buffers the experience. Don't wear driving gloves unless I'm racing, don't wear golf glove, don't like condoms, but like racing, sometimes safety requires it. In fact, when casually driving, I like to be totally naked... Maybe I should not have admitted that.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:39 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I use them when riding my GSX-R, used to use them with the large skinny hard plastic wheel on my MG and hard wood wheel on the XKE. No need with larger diameter padded and leather covered wheels.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:01 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

This thread is over three years old!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
This thread is over three years old!
So am I

If I were tracking and worrying about fire or dragging my tail out of a rolled car yah sometimes yes and sometimes no. But with power steering and always having tough hands I'll go gloveless. I tried some of my light Alpine brand gloves in the car one time and took them off figuring there wasn't any positive.

Tracks its a good idea but with power steering ah nope.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't get any better than Sparco Tides. Volcanoes on your hands.

http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-tide...?productid=754

Quick Reply: Anybody using driving gloves?