996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody using driving gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a pair of G-Force gloves at the track. So far I've not needed gloves for the street in this brutal Southern California climate...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:47 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Didn't driving gloves go out with Members Only jackets?

Gloves for the track I can understand, but for the street???
Exactly what I was thinking!! Driving gloves are from the days of cars with no heat, and hard wood steering wheels. With a nice leather steering wheel, plenty of heat, and power steering, you don't really need gloves.

Unless of course, you like wearing gloves. I hate it!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:31 PM
stilton_a_cheese
Instructor

AndyK "Driving gloves are from the days of cars with no heat, and hard wood steering wheels. "

I get cold easily. Our 996 is garage kept, and has the butt-warming option (which works great), however, you grab hold of a leather steering wheel when the ambient temperature is 38°F without gloves there is going to be some negative thermal transfer between the wheel and your hands. We don't turn on the heat until the engine reaches 80°C on the gauge, then we blast out the heat... But those first ten minutes, Brrrrr. I'll wear gloves every time.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:15 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stilton_a_cheese

I get cold easily. Our 996 is garage kept, and has the butt-warming option (which works great), however, you grab hold of a leather steering wheel when the ambient temperature is 38°F without gloves there is going to be some negative thermal transfer between the wheel and your hands. We don't turn on the heat until the engine reaches 80°C on the gauge, then we blast out the heat... But those first ten minutes, Brrrrr. I'll wear gloves every time.
I hear ya. I just find it annoying to not be able to change the channels on the stereo wearing leather gloves! But, if they make your driving experience better, that's what counts.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:48 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

These seem to work on cold days, and they're so "purty"

Seriously, I use driving gloves that I bought at the dealer (Porsche lettering in red) for use on long trips. My hands tend to sweat so I would rather it be in the gloves than on my carbon and leather wheel.

Last edited by porsche-t; 01-15-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:14 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the sports authority and pick up a pair of batting gloves. They work very well and cost only $30.
I use the Under Armor ones for winter and Autocross days.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 PM
CT03911
Banned

I have a pair of nomex and thin leather gloves from Navy flying days. Never liked how they felt then and wore them very little after training. I tried to use them in the car and still don't like them. A very different feel. I don't know, maybe I should try them some more but I like that bare hands feel. The racing gloves all look so thick I can't imagine using them.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I hear ya. I just find it annoying to not be able to change the channels on the stereo wearing leather gloves!
Try using gloves that don't have a liner and you'll be able to change the stations easily.

As to the temp, definitely when it's cold in the northeast, my hands (which are usually quite dry to begin with) slip and slide on the steering wheel (CF and leather). So, gloves give me that added traction in the event of an emergency. I mean you don't walk around barefoot in the winter, do you?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Try using gloves that don't have a liner and you'll be able to change the stations easily.

As to the temp, definitely when it's cold in the northeast, my hands (which are usually quite dry to begin with) slip and slide on the steering wheel (CF and leather). So, gloves give me that added traction in the event of an emergency. I mean you don't walk around barefoot in the winter, do you?
those german must have SMALL fingers.
the buttons on the radio is smaller than my nokia cellphone.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:51 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

I don't wear driving gloves because I don't want to look like a Ferrari Owner . I always see those guys in their ferrari jackets, hats, shoes & gloves...talk about insecurity!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Cleanme, that's pretty funny, because I do often see Ferrari guys wandering around in badged clothing. But, take solace knowing that there are no logos on my gloves. Indeed, I only where them in the car when it's cold. It would be disingenuous of me to say that it doesn't result in me driving slightly more aggressively though.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:05 PM
hamilton
Instructor

Do driving mittens count? I wear these:

http://www.clobberleather.com.au/detail.cfm?PID=130
Old 02-28-2007, 05:16 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hamilton
Do driving mittens count? I wear these:

http://www.clobberleather.com.au/detail.cfm?PID=130

How could you hand out hand gestures with those while driving?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a great deal on some leather gloves as they were too small to fit the original owner...

Old 02-28-2007, 07:29 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

I still cannot believe that they had him try it on with a latex glove. That whole case was such a joke.

Quick Reply: Anybody using driving gloves?