Sponsored by:

Tension Pulley Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:18 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tension Pulley Help!!!

I posted this over on renntech but no luck with getting an answer. I was hoping to get this done today.

Anyone know how to remove the Tension Pulley (99710211700). I can't seem to brake the nut loose and I don't want to brake the tensioner. I think it has lock tight on it.

Also for those that need to replace the deflection pulley here are the PRT#

#99710211700 Which I'm having trouble with

If you have seen the 3.6 mod video you heard the squeeking when the engine is running cold. I have replaced the 2 deflection pullies and belt, but I still have the squeek. So I'm hoping that it's just that I have not replaced the tensioner pulley.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:34 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Only the tensioner roller should be tough to get off. With the other 2, the front bolts should unscrew. The tensioner roller bolt comes from the back, through the lever into the pully and can be tough to get off. Removing the entire level makes it easier. Eat some Wheatee's and try again.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:37 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Only the tensioner roller should be tough to get off. With the other 2, the front bolts should unscrew. The tensioner roller bolt comes from the back, through the lever into the pully and can be tough to get off. Removing the entire level makes it easier.
I did the the other 2 that was easy.

It's the tension roller and I tried going from behind, but can't get it loose. How do you remove the entire level. That's what I need to do

Thanks

Last edited by evansaero; 02-17-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When the oil separator goes, it sounds like a pulley squeak. When it is making the noise, pull off the oil cap and see if it goes away. If it does, this is the problem. This info courtesy of 99firehawk who diagnosed mine. If this is not the problem, I dont mean to scare, but my car made a pulley squeaking sound and it was not the pulleys at all but the diaphram ruptured in the oil separator.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:56 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Tippy
When the oil separator goes, it sounds like a pulley squeak. When it is making the noise, pull off the oil cap and see if it goes away. If it does, this is the problem. This info courtesy of 99firehawk who diagnosed mine. If this is not the problem, I dont mean to scare, but my car made a pulley squeaking sound and it was not the pulleys at all but the diaphram ruptured in the oil separator.
I thought that a coupe months ago and tried what you talked about. Thank God that isn't the problem.

The two rollers I pulled off do not move freely and you can hear the grit or what ever it is in the bearing roller. So I'm still hoping it's just the Tenision roller That I can't get off. This sucks

Brad?? Do you have any special way to get to the back nut
Old 02-17-2007, 08:35 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Mine went bad but i paid my indy to do it. he had it back by the end of the day for about 400 bucks and ended up replacing all the pulleys and belt. Scared the squat out of me when it startd making the noise. I hadn't driven it for a few weeks and started to work one morning. I pulled into the shop and he let me borrow a car to get to work.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:02 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by smshirk
Mine went bad but i paid my indy to do it. he had it back by the end of the day for about 400 bucks and ended up replacing all the pulleys and belt. Scared the squat out of me when it startd making the noise. I hadn't driven it for a few weeks and started to work one morning. I pulled into the shop and he let me borrow a car to get to work.
$400 for 2 deflection pullies, 1 tenision pulley and belt including labor. Holy Crap

I paid $27 for belt and $160 for the pullies. Took about 30 mins except for this stupid Tenision pulley. $400 sounds like a steal now

I guess I'll be taking it in for one stupid bolt I cann't get loose. The bolt is on the back side of the pulley and I have know idea how to loosen it up.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evansaero
I thought that a coupe months ago and tried what you talked about. Thank God that isn't the problem.

The two rollers I pulled off do not move freely and you can hear the grit or what ever it is in the bearing roller. So I'm still hoping it's just the Tenision roller That I can't get off. This sucks

Brad?? Do you have any special way to get to the back nut
Thats good to hear, just sounded close to what I experienced.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:36 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i doubt that the tensoer pulley is bad.............not impossible but i have never replaced on and i have never seen one replaced. try taking the belt off and see if the noise is still there with the car running
Old 02-18-2007, 01:40 AM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
i doubt that the tensoer pulley is bad.............not impossible but i have never replaced on and i have never seen one replaced. try taking the belt off and see if the noise is still there with the car running
What does it mean if the noise does not go away with the belt off?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:35 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it means the noise is something else
Old 02-18-2007, 03:50 PM
evansaero
Pro

you made a funny

Quick Reply: Tension Pulley Help!!!