Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Roll bar question: I have a 2002 cab that I may be taking to a few track days with..

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
And Dell, when we finally get to meet in person, I'll take you for a ride and demonstrate how those accidents couldn't possibly have been my fault. We can use the GT3, right?

Michael
Michael you missed your true calling. You should have been a comic!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:00 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I looked into both. I chose the Teq bar because I liked the look of it and becasue I prefer to buy OEM pieces for the car. There was ZERO modification done to install the Teq bar and IIRC correctly there is some drilling involved with one of the DAS bars. If it is permanent then no biggie but I didn't intend on keeping it in the car for very long since we moved to a GT3 with a roll bar.

The DAS Weekender bar for coupes has the option of drilling for beefier feet, but can be installed without drilling. PCA racing requires the drilled version, IIRC. I'm afraid I haven't a clue if it will fit a Cab.

The DAS Cab bar does require drilling, but the DAS website says that it is SCCA-approved.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:58 PM
MikeRosen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if there could be different types of insurance from the same insurer? ie: the PCA can buy one plan for a 2 day DE that will not exclude cabs (lots of Boxters and 996s I'd guess) and the ACNA excludes cabs for a slightly reduced price. Certainly any isurance company can carve out a particular group for a rate change?
It is possible that there is a different rate depending on what you want covered. I never asked that question. I can tell you for sure that the PCA clubs spend far less on DE insurance per event than the ACNA clubs for a comparable event. The reason is that the national organization buys the policy and then to the extent it wants recoups that fee from individual chapters on a per event basis. ACNA puts on significantly less track events. Therefore, the price is much higher per event.

I can also tell you from my personal experience that sometimes club leaders are told by the staff at the national organization that rules come from the insurer when they are not actually mandated by the insurer.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:12 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ahhhh, I see.

The plot thickens

Sounds like there may be a little more to this "NO CABS WITHOUT CAGES" than meets the eye.

Quick Reply: Roll bar question: I have a 2002 cab that I may be taking to a few track days with..