Front License plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:54 AM
FlashFlash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License plate holder

Hello All,
I just purchased a 2000 C2 and am wondering about the front license plate mount. The bumper has been changed to a GT3 style front bumper and curves where the license plate is normally installed. Do I just bend the license plate to make it install or is there a mounting bracket that I can purchase to install?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Thegman
Banned

Check with your Porsche dealer. There are black plastic "blocks" that are inserted into the holes in the bumper and then a plastic mounting plate is screwed into the blocks. The license plate is then screwed to the mounting plate. It's not all that pretty but if your state requires a front plate, it's better than a ticket......
Old 02-08-2007, 09:49 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Thegman
It's not all that pretty but if your state requires a front plate, it's better than a ticket......
Maybe....
Old 02-08-2007, 01:42 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FlashFlash
Hello All,
I just purchased a 2000 C2 and am wondering about the front license plate mount. The bumper has been changed to a GT3 style front bumper and curves where the license plate is normally installed. Do I just bend the license plate to make it install or is there a mounting bracket that I can purchase to install?
Sure.....just bend the plate tight against the front of your new Porsche......then with your other hand hold the Black-n-Decker and drill four 1/4" holes through the plate into your car.....large sheet metal screws will probably then 'hold' in the GT3 bumper.

Yes...........I do know I'm a wise ***.
Most here are much nicer........I see it's your 1st post.......welcome.....congrats on the car........BTW, pictures are required
Old 02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Keep the plate off. It's worth the ticket!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:25 PM
AsianImage
Racer

Originally Posted by Troy R
Keep the plate off. It's worth the ticket!
4 tickets and $100 later I still have to agree
Old 02-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

I just keep the front plate beside the passenger seat so I can quickly put it on the dash if I get pulled over. So far no tickets...
Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find another Rennlister (Eric) at www.bumperplugs.com

Order the plugs in your cars color. They come with a "Christmas Tree" prong that tightens as you push/plug them in to your bumper to cover the holes.

I found if you put duct tape (reverse it so it is sticky on the outside) on the male piece of the plug, it goes in SOOO tight it will not move/rattle a bit. I told an officer that's how the car came, showed him the plugs (as part of the bumper), he put his finger on it, himmed/haahd and left the situation alone.

Unless you are driving it everyday or may be inclined to drive it after a pop or two, leave it off. Keep the plate up front to CYA. Just my .02$
Old 02-08-2007, 11:19 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AsianImage
4 tickets and $100 later I still have to agree
LOL I agree. $25 per? They went up from $10?

GreggT: It's better to be a wise *** than a dumb ***.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM
FlashFlash
Advanced

Default gotta get that plate on

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I think I have to get an adapter to get that plate on as the holes don't line up to the license plate holes. I'd like to get those bumper plugs but without a front plate it just provides a reason for an officer to pull me over, and I'd rather not go that route
Anyone know where I can purchase that license plate adapter from? I've been searching the net but I can't seem to locate a source for it.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:08 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh.....come-on

Since you are simply discarding all the learned advice we have offered........you will either:

no longer be aloud on this Board....or
you are required to post a pic of your nice Porsche with that 13 cent piece of tin bolted to the front.

All seriousness aside..........as theGman said.........your dealer.....the kit has a part number.....they will take your money.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 PM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Any Porsche dealer will sell you the needed mounting blocks, bracket (that lies up with holes on your plate) and screws for blocks, bracket and plate. I got mine from Sunset Imports - they packaged everything into a kit.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was worried about giving a cop a reason to pull me over too originally. Turns out they pull you over for (allegedly) speeding or (allegedly, of course) running red lights, than nab you for not having the plate.

Putting the plugs in and saying the car came that way.... good idea, I'll have to try that!

Quick Reply: Front License plate holder