Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

WARNING: Be careful around Discount Tire!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 12:28 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm with Brett and Dave on this one... kudos to the shop for admitting the mistake, stopping before they messed it up any more, and offering to make it right.

Other than not mucking it up in the first place you really can't ask for more than that.

Hey - is the OP the same guy that took his car to Jiffy Lube and bitched about them when they screwed up the oil change?

Michael
Old 02-09-2007, 12:42 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my other vehicles is a wheel chair van, a lowered Town and Country. I always had to drill it into the techs head that many lifts cannot accomodate this vehicle and that because it's lowered you have to be very careful.
The last time it saw a place like that was Midas Muffler, to replace the crappy brakes they put on 20k before. I told the guy TWICE not to use the drive on lift, my wife was there and saw the whole thing. What did he do? Drive it on, only he only made it 1/2 of the way before getting the underbody hopelessly stuck on the lift. Ugly.
No matter how many times I have told them at places like Discount Tire, Midas Muffler or Jiffy Lube they continued to try and screw it up.
The staff at these places are short lived, quick turnover type employees. The guy who listens today and does it right may not be there tomorrow. In my opinion you are increasing your chances of problems using these places.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM
jstgermaine
AutoX

I consistantly use Discount Tire for all of my mounting/dismounting. I made it a point to find one great employee working there...befriended him and now call and ask for him and only him. I bring him a couple of his favorite beverages from time to time as well as tipping him on occassion.

The result? He takes FAR more care with my wheels/tires and often bumps my projects to the head of the line. He has also gone as far as to pick up wheels/tires to be mounted dismounted in the morning on his way to work and drop them back off in the evening after his shift.

He does my 996, my 911's, my wifes MB E500 and my kids cars...never have I had an issue. Could he make a mistake? Sure...but I'd be willing to bet not only would he admit it, he would do the right thing and take care of it.

Seeing as you are from Naperville, I would not hesitate to refer you to Moto-Delta (www.moto-delta.com) Chris is the owner. He is mainly specialty Porsche race shop, but would take the extra care you require.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:19 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I have no issue with Discount Tire. When I had my rear tires replaced they were extremely careful during the process. The downside being that it took them a couple of hours to finish while I saw a Camry fly out of there in 20 minutes for all four tires.

But, no scratches and balanced correctly. Incidentally, the Discount Tire near my house has the latest Hunter 9700 wheel balancer.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:34 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

I needed two new Continental tires and contacted Continental via email. Within 30 minutes I had a phone call from Continental informing me that my tires were available at a Discount Tire, just 10 minutes away.

I purchased the tires, had them mounted, and was pleased with service.

As an addendum, I have 15” 21 year old phone dials.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a full set of 18" Pilot Sport N1's put on my car Wednesday at Discount Tire. I think some (if not all) of the techs are also salesmen/asst mgrs.
Tech was a good guy, did a good job, and knew one of the 996 Turbo guys that goes driving in N. GA with us.
This was my second purchase installation there. Hunter 9700 equipment as well.
And the price? $1211 out the door.
Hard to beat.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2007, 05:38 PM
HooliganX
Racer

I've had good experiences with two different local Discount Tire shops. They've done both the GT3 and the E55, no problems and great prices.

Kudos to that shop for owning up to the mistake and offereing to make it right. Most shops would put the wheel back on and hope you don't notice. Once you drive off the lot they can claim you did the damage.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I change my thought on this. I remember a dip&#%$ who tryed to put my 235mm tire on the 10.5" rim and I stopped him at Discount. I was like maybe you should try putting the 295mm tire on the wheel, he was a little embarassed, should of been obvious. Then another instance two guys were fitting my spare back in (at the same Discount) and they were leaning all over the fenders, I was a little p'd off how they were so casual with my car.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:26 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ruckmjr
A high-end tire shop has never fouled up someone's rims? Kudos to Discount for acknowledging the mistake and being willing to take care of it. You don't see that much anymore.

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
And you've never made a mistake?
At least they owned up to it and told you immediately. As well they offered to put things right... And you're upset why? They would have won my business right there had I been the customer.

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I'm with Brett and Dave on this one... kudos to the shop for admitting the mistake, stopping before they messed it up any more, and offering to make it right.

Other than not mucking it up in the first place you really can't ask for more than that.

Hey - is the OP the same guy that took his car to Jiffy Lube and bitched about them when they screwed up the oil change?

Michael
Old 02-09-2007, 11:56 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

warnning?
u need give credit to the guy admit their fault.
man, it's so sad when coming to think about it.
every time i had my p-car in-service, they always mess up something, and never told me, until i found out 2 month later. then they playing "we don't know. it's been so long".
any shop who admits their fault is great shop.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:18 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

It's a crap shot. I've always used one Discount tire shop with 0 problems with my 996 and other cars. Unti one day, I thought, ah, this Discount shop is a little closer to my home so let's give it a try. It's the same company after all. Then sure enough, they chipped my wheel. And yes Kudos to them to admit it upfront and offer a repair.

However, I've made the mistake to let them repair the tire (subcontrcted out). The refinished wheel looked fine but the repair shop resprayed the whole wheel with a clear coat and that messed things up because the clear coat repair was not as smooth and shinny as the factory one. Now it's impossible to clean the brake dust off that wheel.

Morale of the story is if they admit it, just settle with cash and bring it to pros like Wheel Enhancement. Whatever you do, don't let them repair it.

- Ahsai
Old 02-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Oscypek
Instructor

just thought i might get my voice in since i am a discount tire tech... don't know how he could have scratched your rim guy most of been an idiot... the machines we have are top notch and i have no problem using them to take wide as hell viper tires off let alone tiny porsche ones . i only work there part time since im in high school but yeah the guy who did yours most have been new or something don't understand how that could have happened. o and im not trying to promote discount tires or anything if it sounds like it at all. but yeah if any of you guys need any tires come buy mine on rand rd and ill hook u up with some chrome valve caps...
Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oscypek
come buy mine on rand rd and ill hook u up with some chrome valve caps...
I have chrome Porsche valve stem caps on my car that have the color logo on the end.
The tech at Discount Tire installed chrome stems whereas I had black before.
I thought that was cool.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Oscypek
Instructor

yeah where i work we save the chrome ones for the nice cars... if its some crap box will just intstall thoughs ugly black ones my boss always makes fun of me cause he drives a 95 dodge pickup or a 96 chevy cavailer and i drive a porsche.... i love the environment there, when theres no cars we just play football and end up triping and falling on our *** over all the lifts.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:07 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HD911
Not to be a d*ck but you brought your $90,000 Porsche to a place called "Discount Tire". What did you expect?

I can't find anything wrong with this...

sorry

Quick Reply: WARNING: Be careful around Discount Tire!