Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

WARNING: Be careful around Discount Tire!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:23 PM
RandomName
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have TechArt rims and I will never ever take it to any regular tire place, including discount tire. if you ever watch those guys work its just matter of time before your rims are scratched by their machine. its not the worker only, its also the equipment.

find a place that has Corghi Artiglio Master machine aka "touchless" tire mounting. you pay a little bit more but its worth it.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:47 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my '03 Evo to a Discount Tire in Pearland to have all 4 tyres replaced and they scratched 3 of my wheels. They offered to repair the wheels and I refused as they were new wheels when I went in and I didn't want to leave with refinished wheels. So, they got on the phone to their wheel distributor and were informed it was a wheel specific to Mitsubishi and they would have to be bought through them. They phoned the local Mitsu dealer and were told $700 per wheel.... I understood their dilemma and we whipped out the catalogue and they replaced all 4 wheels with wheels I liked better than the stock wheels. They were very accommodating and I was extremely happy with their attitude.

The local Discount Tire look after my cars and wheels as if they were their own.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:09 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tirevan placed a hairline scratch completely around my rim lip on one of my stock rims the first time I used them. If I had aftermarket rims I would have made them purchase me a new rim.

Originally Posted by programmatore
Yeah, like cdodkin says, it varies by location. The tire shops in my area don't have the good equipment (or maybe they do but they just don't want to risk damaging my wheels). Luckily the independent shop I take my car to for service has it.

Believe it or not though the past 2 times I needed tires I went to a mobile service called TireVan ( http://www.tirevan.net ). They're great. They come to my office in a small cargo truck with all the equipment -- tire mounting equipment, road force balancer, etc. -- and do the work while I am inside my office. No more sitting in waiting rooms with 2 year old Car & Driver magazines.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
varies by location - sorry you found a bad one
totally dude.

sorry **** happened to you, but my local discount tire in bellevue is the best mount/balance shop there is. and they accept walk-ins. you can't beat that.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

THE DIscount Tire shop near me has done a very good job on all three of my cars. Two years ago they did put a small scratch on one of rear wheels on the P-car, but paid to have it touched up. I can't tell which wheel has the damage. Plus, I got a KILLER deal from them on four PS2's about a year ago.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on which Discount Tire store you go to. The one in Solana Beach(Cali) does all the high end cars out of Rancho Santa Fe. Most saturdays it looks like a combination Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, MBZ, BMW dealership. They stock all the high performance tires in all the sizes you need. I've bought 5 sets of tires from them on 2 Porsches, 2 MBZ and 1 BMW, never a problem. They do flat fixes for free even if you didn't buy the tires from them. They did rip a tire they were putting on my 993, and threw in road hazard on all 4 tires because I had to wait an extra 1/2 hour. They are very cool about letting you talk to or even work with the tech on your car. They hand torque all the lugs, use soft sockets, lug alignment studs, and clean all the old wheel weight adhesive off. All you have to do is ask. My 993 was very low and they used floor jacks to lift it rather than risk putting it on a drive up lift. While they are a bunch of young guys (and once a young girl) they are gear heads and respect fine machines. Of course they don't have the technical expertise of Tire Rack. If you playing with plus one/two wheel and tire fitment, track or auto cross tires, you're better off with Tire Rack.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had most excellent service at the DT location I patronize. They are on on West Colonial in Orlando. From my track only 944 to 4 911's a couple trucks the e46 BMW....Always Very Good work, no damage ever. Often as a repeat customer they dont charge me for every single little thing. I sometimes tip a tire handler who seems to be doing a particularly good job on one of the cars. I always look, and talk to the guys..not to be **** but its fun to see them work.

Quick Reply: WARNING: Be careful around Discount Tire!