Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:23 AM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone rented a 911 in Germany?

Prefereably near the 'Ring.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...rburg&zipcode=

Will be arriving in Frankfurt to travel first south to Stuttgart then northwest with my son, Mom and Dad next month. Can't use a 911 except for one day when we hope to get some laps in at the Ring. I guess renting anything quick near the track is a dead give away as to intent so obviously I would be looking for something where that would be ok. Will default to the "Ring taxi" if we have to just to get a lap.

Hoping right now to do some type of tour at the Stuttgart Porsche factory and museum

http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpors...eum/oldmuseum/

and poke around in some villages and what not working our way back towards Bastogne, the American Cemetary/ Battle of the Bulge region of the Ardennes. Most of the trip will be day cruising in something comfortable to sights of interest and walking tours of small villages, castles etc. Going to avoid the big cities except for day one and day last mostly.

Love any ideas. The areas outside the big cities are new to us.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:25 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You might want to check on the 997 Forum and maybe do a search on "rent" on that Forum. I recall a thread or two about some guys renting a 997 in Germany. Sounds like a great trip!
Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several places where you can rent a Porsche in Germany. I did once rent a Boxster in Munich and drove it to Hamburg back in 1998. But most sportscar rentals have very limited mileage - some have specials weekend offers including 1,500km; google and you'll find several smaller companies that rent sportscars.

Taking rental cars to a racetrack is explicitly prohibited in regular rental agreements. There's no insurance coverage if you do it and in case of an accident the driver will face legal actions.

There are special rental firms like http://www.rent-racecar.de/ that rent race-cars for the Ring. This particular one has no P cars but some BMWs, here's a list of cars they offer.

- BMW 318ti Compact
- BMW 325i Coupe
- BMW 325i Limousine
- BMW M3 Coupe
- Renault Megane CUP
- Opel Vectra STW

A friend of mine (a really great M3 driver here in the US) was there and had a minor accident with one of their cars. The insurance deductible was immense (EUR 5K as I recall), but at least the insurance covered the accident, so don't be a fool and take a regular rental car to the Ring!

I don't know when you'll be there, but take care as it might be slippery and wet. The ring is not an easy track and people intent to go faster than they should. Safety at "Touristenfahrten" is not comparable with DE track events here in the US.

You can enjoy the German Autobahn. There's a great, not too crowded piece south of Stuttgart; it's the "Stuttgart - Singen" A81, leading to the Lake Constance. Good quality, relatively new piece of road, not too many speed limits and limited traffic.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2007, 12:08 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

I am going to Germany this summer and I also wanted to rent a P-car, and as HWK72 sais it is prohibited to take any rental to the Ring.. I am thinking about taking the lap in the M5.. they say that it will take you around in less than 10 mins wich is awesome... there is also a bus service that goes around the track but it didnt really pick my attention. I believe that the lap in the M5 costs around 200 euro which is not a bad deal..
Old 02-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,066 Posts

It might be cheaper to ship your own car to Germany!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:07 PM
CT03911
Banned

Thanks guys. Saw that bit about an M5 and the track car rentals. If I can't rent a 911 for the track than I'm not particularly interested in a BMW 3/5 series just to step up the speed. I may just end up renting a nice road car for the trip and doing a "casual" lap on the Ring when we go by there, just to say we drove it. Can't believe there isn't someone doing 911 rentals legit on the track. I suppose when the banks grade business plans that one continually gets a "D-".
This link has been posted on here before-

http://www.heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/

I remember their 996 discussion pissing off some guys. All I cared about it was that part about getting on the track and I've got to get used to the idea of no track time or an easy lap in our rental with the four of us and a trunk full of bags. It is a "public" road, after all...
Old 02-07-2007, 01:32 PM
pobox604
Advanced

I'm currently working in Paris and stumbled across this... www.stage911.com

Too bad I'm leaving in 2 days. Otherwise, I'd love to try it.

If you happen to swing by Paris to try it out, let us know how it goes.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

CT, you need to make reservations in advance to do the factory tour. It's not something you just drop in for. Call PCNA or your dealer or do a search here to find out how to arrange it. The last time I did it a few years ago, it was all arranged by fax thru the museum people.

Another fun place to visit, that you'll probably drive right by, is Hockenheim. The track is right next to the Autobahn. There's a museum there that's pretty good (mostly motorcycles) and we sat in the stadium section watching BMW's version of PDE with M3's and 7 Series's buzzing around the track. Find out what's on the calendar when you'll be there and maybe you can do a driving school there or just take in some of the action (the views of the track are excellent).
Old 02-07-2007, 04:20 PM
CT03911
Banned

Thanks Holger. I email'd Porsche about the tour yesterday. Still waiting to hear. I guess the museum is open 7 days and free but I was not sure about the factory. Thanks.
Hockenheim, huh? I'll look at that too. good call.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
CT03911
Banned

This place rents 911's in Germany: http://www.touringingermany.com/

They are not cheap around $1400.00 US for 4 days starting in Frankfurt, where I checked. 120 miles limit per day. I can only assume there is fine print regarding where you can drive them but I did not see it yet on the web site. Also, extra miles are probably expensive but the site doesn't actually even say what the deal is with that.

My problem is that my Mom and Dad are going too so my son and I need a 4-person rental until we get to the 'Ring. Then, we want to jump into a 911 for a few laps and throw the keys back to them.

So much for dreaming. This web site could work for a couple though, who are just going to drive a few days in the country outside Frankfurt. Hope you end up in a little town called Nurburg. Don't think it will work out for me unless we opt for the "Ring taxi".
Old 02-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thursday evenings are usually when the Hiockenheim ring is open for anyone to drive. The usual road traffic rules apply when the track is public and there can be too many cars there some times.
http://www.hockenheimring.com/DEFAULT.aspx?tabID=453

Most Porshce centres can rent you a car for a day or two for little money as they offer this as a service when you leave a car in for repair. Just don't say you're going to the ring.
You can ask Stuttgart directly http://www.porsche-stuttgart.de/en/a...servation.aspx
they are just opposite the factory.

Factory tours book out years in advance so book early. The Museum is small but they are building a new one !!! The Mercedes museum in Stuttgart is also worth a look.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:52 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I rented an E-Class MB in Germany then drove it around a few places and did a lap on the ring with it. great time. My wife Screamed the whole time and we got passed by some really cool cars. This was last April. I have a video I need to dig up. can we post video's in threads now?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
kem
Instructor

I believe hertz has C4S's in germany for rent/
Old 02-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
Prefereably near the 'Ring.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...rburg&zipcode=

Will be arriving in Frankfurt to travel first south to Stuttgart then northwest with my son, Mom and Dad next month. Can't use a 911 except for one day when we hope to get some laps in at the Ring. I guess renting anything quick near the track is a dead give away as to intent so obviously I would be looking for something where that would be ok. Will default to the "Ring taxi" if we have to just to get a lap.

Hoping right now to do some type of tour at the Stuttgart Porsche factory and museum

http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpors...eum/oldmuseum/

and poke around in some villages and what not working our way back towards Bastogne, the American Cemetary/ Battle of the Bulge region of the Ardennes. Most of the trip will be day cruising in something comfortable to sights of interest and walking tours of small villages, castles etc. Going to avoid the big cities except for day one and day last mostly.

Love any ideas. The areas outside the big cities are new to us.

You should really put off the museum tour until next year when the new museum is done. The present one is quite tiny. I walked through it in about 4 minutes in June 06.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:59 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Sixt definitely used to have Ps for rent when I was living in Germany a few years back
http://www.sixt.com

I would definitely give them a try but you will have to call or email - I don't think you can do it on line....they have a special department

Quick Reply: Anyone rented a 911 in Germany?