Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

weight difference of C4 cab vs C2 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
For feeling grippier, yea sure. For going around a timed lap around a race course, hecks NO.
Again....what has been said and proven on a track is 2 cars with similar HP and similar weight, the AWD was faster....In fact the C4S which is heavier than the C2, yet the same HP as the C2 is 4 seconds faster around nurburgring.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
I would think this rally car has been purpose built for racing...

And that stuff the car is on in the third pic, looks kinda like paving....

That cage is freaking awesome. When the Impreza was designed, engineered and manufactured it's purpose was to carry 4 people on public highways. The awesome Prodrive STi is a highly developed vehicle. A car that has been optimized on it's original passenger car frame/chassis. Are many components "purpose-built" for racing? Yes, but the platform was designed for getting groceries. How's that for covering my @$$.

For our bench-racing exercise I'd offer the Rohrl's times on the 'Ring with
the cars in question as exhibit A.

P.S. Apparently AWD causes a vehicle to have less traction - just look at the pics, why the wheels are in the are air for chrissakes.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, there ya go! Proof that all-wheel-drive offers less traction!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by newport996
Again....what has been said and proven on a track is 2 cars with similar HP and similar weight, the AWD was faster....In fact the C4S which is heavier than the C2, yet the same HP as the C2 is 4 seconds faster around nurburgring.
you do realize that nurburgring isn't your avg 1-2min lap track, right?

so you quoting 4 second diff as if it's the bible with those 4 seconds likely lapped on diff days, diff drivers, diff weather conditions etc.... is absolutely hilarious!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

^
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Ya know...all this talk about weight got me to thinking. How much does my 2000 996 C2 coupe weigh, anyway? Well, I decided to find out. A bit over a year ago, I'd had my '84 Carrera corner balanced and aligned on Hergesheimer's very accurate drive-on laser alignment rack and corner balance scale. That car ended up weighing 2,570 pounds empty (almost empty gas tank). A few weeks later a bunch of us Porsche fanatics decided to stop by a company that has a certified scale in order to weigh our cars and have a "weigh-off". It turned out my car weighed 2,660 pounds with 3/4 of a tank of gas (which weighs about 90 pounds), so it turned out that their scales gave basically the exact same number as Hergesheimer's scale. Great.

Well, I decided to take the 996 to the same scale today but before I did, I filled the gas tank to capacity (16.9 gallons in the C2, or about 105 pounds). The car weighed 3,140 pounds, so it weighs about 3,035 pounds with an empty gas tank.

Now I know.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
you do realize that nurburgring isn't your avg 1-2min lap track, right?

so you quoting 4 second diff as if it's the bible with those 4 seconds likely lapped on diff days, diff drivers, diff weather conditions etc.... is absolutely hilarious!

Actually, its not JUST anyone...its the SAME Porsche factory driver, under the best conditions...it also is a tell tale sign as to the all around performance of a car....Its not JUST a random lap...its the FASTEST of a day or series of days...Chevy was there for WEEKS tuning the Z06 to get its times faster than the Carreras....so its not as random as you may think....Its also very interesting that the car manufacturers dont find it hilarious they spend hundreds of thousands getting times of their cars around the 'ring.....its a fact...the C4S is faster than the C2 around a track given the same skill level driver.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Where do we find these published Walter Rohrl lap times, anyway? I'm curious to see them.

Quick Reply: weight difference of C4 cab vs C2 coupe?