Sponsored by:

Throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Throttle response

Why do the 996s have such crappy throttle response? My friends E46 M3 clearly revs quicker than my car but the M3 has about a 0.6 inch longer stroke.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I also noticed that M3's are freer reving than my 996 in the lower end of the rev range. I don't know why, just sharing your observation. That's one advantage the M3 has over our cars, there not many others. Overall, when I add up all the plus's & minus's, the 996 is a superior car in my opnion.

When I want to pass an M3, or any other car for that matter, the trick for me is to anticipate the pass by making sure I keep my revs up...... it works every time!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:15 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tippy
Why do the 996s have such crappy throttle response? My friends E46 M3 clearly revs quicker than my car but the M3 has about a 0.6 inch longer stroke.
I think you a little off base here.

Unless you are reving the cars in neutral and comparing time to a rev range, the difference you will notice is principally gearing, not throttle response. The length of the throttle throw has nothing to do with an engine's throttle response.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Revving both cars in neutral, the M3 is a bit peppier IMHO. I didn't time the differences, it just "felt" that way. I guess I didn't catch Tippy's comment about a longer stroke and I'm not totally sure what he meant by that..... travel distance of the throttle???
Old 01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
ML
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to own an e46 M3 and it definitely felt like the throttle was quicker (especially in the sport mode). Overall, the 996 however feels much more solid (especially in corner) and will be faster if you know how do drive it.

Additional bonus, my C4S in the snow, no comparison whatsoever!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:38 PM
JC3D
Pro

LiveNupe, where you at the poc day last sunday in MP? I have a great video of me following you if that was you. That was fun trying to keep up with you.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
Revving both cars in neutral, the M3 is a bit peppier IMHO. I didn't time the differences, it just "felt" that way. I guess I didn't catch Tippy's comment about a longer stroke and I'm not totally sure what he meant by that..... travel distance of the throttle???
Stroke is for me referring to the distance the piston travels in the cylinder from the bottom of the stroke to the top. Reference being that the longer the stroke the longer the throttle response. I am not sure about that one though?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
I think you a little off base here.

Unless you are reving the cars in neutral and comparing time to a rev range, the difference you will notice is principally gearing, not throttle response. The length of the throttle throw has nothing to do with an engine's throttle response.
How am I off base, I am clearly talking about free revving. I am not speaking engine under load in first gear, obviously the M3 will win because it has way, way more gearing than a 996. My point is that the stroke of an M3 is almost 0.6 inches more than a 996, this should ultimately give the 996 an easier advantage to rev. I guess it boils down to runner length, the M3s throttle bodies are directly mounted to the heads whereas the 996 has a long intake tract. Even so, a 302 V8 Mustang enigne has the same stroke as 996 and revs a lot quicker. It shouldnt since the V8 has more rotating mass but it does, not to mention the V8 has a very, very long intake tract.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:24 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

How am I off base, I am clearly talking about free revving.
Thanks, now I know what you meant by stroke.

I think speed to a given RPM has far more to do with rotating mass than anything else. Less rotating mass, the faster the engine will accelerate. We can build one that will go very fast, and last for a week.

I am not saying a M3 engine does not have quicker throttle response than a 996 engine. I don't know. The M3 engine is extremely impressive, but I doubt your -crappy- assessment is correct when compared with other engines.

Having owned several V8 Stangs (my beater is a 4.6l Cobra), I am extremely confident that those engines do not rev faster.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:50 PM
M3killa
Banned

my car revs fast and stays wound up even at throttle lift.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

try changing the pulley or the flywheel. the car should "rev" much faster......
Old 01-30-2007, 05:38 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

I sold my E46 M3 to get my 40th Ann. 996, and did not notice much of a softening of throttle response. However, the M3 has 6 individual throttle bodies which (in addition to looking really cool) may account for the effect you describe.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

surprised nobody mentioned e-gas and improved throttle response through software updating.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

With an electronic throttle you do not have direct control over the throttle. You can press on the throttle till your leg breaks and if the computer doesn't want more power you're just SOL. The actual response is governed by a map in the computer who's response in turn is governed by a bunch of variables. So different maps re:cars, will yield different response, everything else being the same.

I'm not thrilled with these things, but is part of the price you pay to have a clean burning somewhat efficient engine.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Howerdel
surprised nobody mentioned e-gas and improved throttle response through software updating.

yup... the 99 has throttle by cable and that is as direct as you get .. GIAC's upgrade includes better throttle response...

Quick Reply: Throttle response