Sponsored by:

Throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
no there isn't because the real world result is it works GREAT in non-sport mode. throttle response is razor sharp. in sport mode, it's difficult to heel-toe because the throttle mapping is so aggressive a little input results in too much revs to the point where it's untenable. sport mode doesn't accomplish anything other than making a lot of owners who don't know or care to know think it's putting down more power and making them faster.

i agree on the ecu stuff and how it's out of reach of many to understand what's really going down... kinda like suspension tuning which really is black magic.

Sport mode was never intended on the E46 to produce more power but sharpen (raise) response times (The newer M's; see M5 do make more power with this). If you have driven any of the non M E46 cars, the electronic throttle was absolutely numb. After applying large amounts of throttle, it would take a noticeable amount of time before the DME recognized that you wanted to increase your speed. It felt almost like turbo lag.

With the M, the sport mode was fantastic on high performance situations as it let you modulate without using as much input (really made it crisp where the normal setting was like the standard cable E36 cars). Something that many track junkies and Autocrossers liked.

It really is personal preference as the 02 that I co-drove a few years back (in an autocross series), I preferred the Sport mode as I didn't have to be as dramatic with throttle inputs to move the car and could make the car rotate with my right foot with less movement, as the owner of the car didn't like it on the same course.

Pete
Old 05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LJ, I hope you're merely reiterating/clarifying a point I've made about sport mode that it doesn't add more power, but simply remaps the throttle input to how the engine reacts (by about 50%).

I think it's a subjective thing as to whether you like sport mode on or off on the streets or at your local auto-x (I am agreeing with you here).

For the few friends of mine who own the E46 M3 and track it, they don't like sport mode at all for any purpose.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 PM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't trying reiterate just your point but to expand a bit on it. I also might have hit the wrong poster's quote as to alluding that sport mode for the M3 was a gimmick. It's not at all. It makes the car much more entertaining and adds to the character of the car. Sport mode forces you to be much smoother which makes you a better driver in the long run (IMHO).

That's interesting that your friends didn't like it. I loved it the second I tried it and compared it to normal setting. I found it easier to modulate throttle in an oversteer as the degrees for throttle applied where available without having to move the pedal (in what I perceive as too much distance). Perhaps it's my Jeep back ground with the insanely touchy gas pedal on my old wrangler and I'm used to that.

Pete
Old 05-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man I posted this a long time ago.

Anyways, my point was, the 6 throttle bodies are on the side of the head (M3) so naturally the throttle response should be quicker but the M has a 0.6" longer stroke. Shorter stroke motors naturally want to rev quicker than longer stroke motors, that is all.

So, it is not the stroke, it has to be something with the E-gas or the fuel/ignition mapping.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if everyone liked the same thing it wouldn't be nearly as fun (i am reiterating and expanding on your point)

Quick Reply: Throttle response