996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

brand of fuel you use

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:39 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Hess becoz' it's near me and along my usual route.
It's cheaper than most other stations, If I have to, Walmart gas is fine as well.
I have never had any fuel related issues in any of my cars.

Before this, I was religiously using Shell, for whatever reason, I don't know.
I feel I have wasted money for no additional benefits, Shell is always more expensive.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I will concede that Top Tier will not hurt. The question is whether it is NEEDED.

It it were needed, then there would not be so many cars on the road with 200K miles on them. There certainly wouldn't be a car on the road that is 20 years old and doesn't have a replacement engine.

I've said this before, there's a big difference between harmful, harmless and essential and when it comes down to it it's all about whatever makes you comfortable.

Other than the press release referenced above I can find no other source that claims that Top Tier is worth spending money on. In the search I did most said that it's another marketing ploy that does little in real world use... this is probably the reason that in the 2 years or so that the campaign has been around it has produced little traction in the general consumer market.

... I'd love to see real data (not opinion) that says anything about the benefits of using Top Tier over any other brand, sadly I could not find a single study. I wonder why that is.

Last edited by oreganet; 01-17-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Chart505
Advanced

My neighbor works for one of the pipeline companies and we got into a similar discussion the other day. Basically, we are all getting marketed to death. ALL of the gas goes thru the same pipelines from the same handful of refineries. The only difference is the additive packages and the transport and storage from the terminals to the retail stations-that's it. If you are getting the correct octane and additives, his advice was to buy from the newest major chain stations in busy locations. They will have the cleanest tanks and pipes, best QC and the fastest turnover. Past that, it's simply Madison Avenue talking.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart505
My neighbor works for one of the pipeline companies and we got into a similar discussion the other day. Basically, we are all getting marketed to death. ALL of the gas goes thru the same pipelines from the same handful of refineries. The only difference is the additive packages and the transport and storage from the terminals to the retail stations-that's it. If you are getting the correct octane and additives, his advice was to buy from the newest major chain stations in busy locations. They will have the cleanest tanks and pipes, best QC and the fastest turnover. Past that, it's simply Madison Avenue talking.
So, summarizing, all gas is the same. Um, except for the additives. Oh, and you should buy from a major chain. Got it.

Glad I didn't pay any attention to those major chain ads telling me that the additives were different.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BruceP
So, summarizing, all gas is the same. Um, except for the additives. Oh, and you should buy from a major chain. Got it.

Glad I didn't pay any attention to those major chain ads telling me that the additives were different.

Ahem, not to further burst a bubble, but the additives are mostly the same too. Lubrizol has the market cornered in fuel additives and most companies buy from them. Chevron makes their own additives, they are chemically different and effective.

You've got to remember that in a game where all players are selling a product that is chemically and functionally identical, then it's all about marketing the pixie dust... otherwise why would anyone buy on anything other then price? ...hold on, I forgot, they mostly do.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by oreganet
Ahem, not to further burst a bubble, but the additives are mostly the same too. Lubrizol has the market cornered in fuel additives and most companies buy from them. Chevron makes their own additives, they are chemically different and effective.

You've got to remember that in a game where all players are selling a product that is chemically and functionally identical, then it's all about marketing the pixie dust... otherwise why would anyone buy on anything other then price? ...hold on, I forgot, they mostly do.
Well, that's sometimes true. But just because things are made in the same factory doesn't mean the things themselves are necessarily the same. If they are, then I have some very bad news about your home theater, digital camera, cell phone, kitchen appliances and a few thousand other things in your house. Meh... the differences might be tiny, but that's what makes horseraces. And capitalism.

Now, tell me what kind of pain reliever you have in your medicine cabinet.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Gas is like oil in that its owner is probably more critical of the brand than the car would be if it could think and talk. Owners are heavily influenced by marketing fluff and advertising. I use any brand that is available when I need to fill up. In my business I build and tune high performance and race motors and see first hand all the BS that floats around in this industry. The 996 is in a moderate state of tune and by no means a race motor or anything close. It is perfectly happy on premium pump gas from most any retailer. Cruising down the highway mile after mile like on a long trip 87 octane would most likely be fine too. A Suzuki GSXR 1000 is happy on pump premium and puts out 175 HP/liter. This would be like a N/A 3.6L Porsche making 630 HP and still being docile enough to drive in city stop and go with no issues. Buy what makes you happy.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 PM
nick49
Drifting

"Now, tell me what kind of pain reliever you have in your medicine cabinet."

Generic aspirin! LOL
Old 01-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BruceP
Well, that's sometimes true. But just because things are made in the same factory doesn't mean the things themselves are necessarily the same.

Now, tell me what kind of pain reliever you have in your medicine cabinet.
True, I know that. When I said "mostly the same" I was referring to the same generic class of surfactant molecules. Not all molecules are tylenol.

Originally Posted by nick49
Gas is like oil in that its owner is probably more critical of the brand than the car would be if it could think and talk. Owners are heavily influenced by marketing fluff and advertising. I use any brand that is available when I need to fill up. In my business I build and tune high performance and race motors and see first hand all the BS that floats around in this industry. The 996 is in a moderate state of tune and by no means a race motor or anything close. It is perfectly happy on premium pump gas from most any retailer. Cruising down the highway mile after mile like on a long trip 87 octane would most likely be fine too. A Suzuki GSXR 1000 is happy on pump premium and puts out 175 HP/liter. This would be like a N/A 3.6L Porsche making 630 HP and still being docile enough to drive in city stop and go with no issues. Buy what makes you happy.

Yeah, I wish we could finally kill the myths that surround fuel and fuel additives. From a scientific perspective it really is maddening to see all the marketing BS that people buy into.

My company used to have a fuel and oil additives business and after talking with colleagues that worked in it I no longer buy into any of the BS. We used to have an engine test lab where we would test additives, then strip down the engines. The stories that they tell about the effectiveness (or lack of) is very enlightening.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"Now, tell me what kind of pain reliever you have in your medicine cabinet."

Generic aspirin! LOL
That has got to be the best yet! Good one Nick.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:24 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
That has got to be the best yet! Good one Nick.
You guys would have loved the soviets. Hardly any brands at all. Same stuff for everybody. No marketing BS whatsoever. Good times...
Old 01-18-2007, 01:43 AM
my996a
Advanced

So I am thinking of getting Uncle Jessie to make me some of his special gas and go juice. Especially if Daisy Duke is refining it!

I'd rather spend the extra money on an a*s*s* like hers - IMHO.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:59 AM
nick49
Drifting

"You guys would have loved the soviets. Hardly any brands at all. Same stuff for everybody. No marketing BS whatsoever"

Actually that sounds pretty refreshing, just an honest product at a fair price. I'm soooo F'n sick and tired of constantly being blasted with media BS and advertising that I do whatever is possible avoid it.

Half of the worlds work is to make things appear as they are not.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

"You guys would have loved the soviets. Hardly any brands at all. Same stuff for everybody. No marketing BS whatsoever"

Actually that sounds pretty refreshing, just an honest product at a fair price. I'm soooo F'n sick and tired of constantly being blasted with media BS and advertising that I do whatever is possible avoid it.

...next thing you know we'll have someone in here talking about "softening carbon-carbon bonds"
Old 01-18-2007, 09:08 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Do you want a hug?

Quick Reply: brand of fuel you use