996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thoughts Of 2001 Viper GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:56 AM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Nah - there's so many wrecked cars out there that spare parts are cheap.
Just don't buy them at the dealership

Trust me, these cars are cheap in comparison to Porsche.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RJ...

Your only main issue will be with the weather as echoed on this board however the smile on your face is priceless. The biggest issue you will probably have is with your brother...sharing it. I say get it, it compliments the 996 nicely or go with the new Z06 route.
Attached Images      
Old 01-09-2007, 10:46 AM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Amazing car, but going "IN" on? Sounds like a mistake to me. If you can't afford it on your own, don't buy it.
Have you seen his list of cars? I certainly think he can afford one, sounds like it will just be a bonding item with him and the brother.

Where do you keep all those things anyway?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:06 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

A number of things on the Viper (yes that is where the Viper Bob came from). Starting with the '01 gives you the deeper oil sump and a little better fan setup. Other items that I found VERY helpful.

1) Porsche Big Red brakes. If you like front calipers equivalent to a 964, and a rear single piston caliper then you are fine. BRAKES are one of the sore spots in the car. There are conversion kits to mount the Big Reds off a 993TT. WAY better. You can just see them in my pic.
2) HEAT.... The cars are very hot. the catalytic convertor runs through the VERY wide sill. So it is always hot inside. Also, you will burn yourself in the summer getting in and out in shorts. You become good at jumping over the sill
3) More HEAT. The radiator is inadequate. I went to a LARGE aluminum setup. Also need some purge capability up high as the radiator is below the engine.
4) Suspension. The shocks are garbage, and it need to be lower. I went with a Koni 2812 setup.
5) Knee pad. With the gas pedal under the steering wheel, you are cocked sideways in the cabin. On the track, your knee is always against the door panel. I went to wearing a knee pad as I was always rubbing the side of my knee raw.
6) Gearing. The standard gears SUCK. I went with some 3.73s so that I could use 6th under 100 MPH. Many people just upgrade to 3.55, but I liked the 3.73s.
7) Air pressure. The car builds up a high pressure area in front of the radiator at speed. There are some kits to fix this. Other wise, even with a larger radiator you will not get any airflow driving fast on the track. Also some dive planes on the side in the front help.

Other things that help the car. Headers and a good exhaust. New Rocker arms (1.7s replacing the 1.6s) and valve springs, throttle bodies, airbox, oil pan baffling. This will give you a good start.

Also, be CAREFUL with the vendors in this market. I have never seen more complete CROOKS than dealing with Vipers. I literally had a guy that was revalving my shocks (waste of time) get arrested and sent to jail while he had my stuff in his possession. I finally had to get his girfriend to send them back to me. Some of the BIG names in the industry if you look closely are criminals (literally).

Last edited by viperbob; 05-21-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:49 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

You're not talking about Hennesey, are ya ?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:59 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by yvesatlanta
You're not talking about Hennesey, are ya ?
All you need to do is check some of the Viper Forums and you will find a lot of interesting info
Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
All you need to do is check some of the Viper Forums and you will find a lot of interesting info
Yet for some reason Car and Driver continues to giver that guy second and third chances.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Were any of these things fixed with the newest generation?

Originally Posted by viperbob
A number of things on the Viper (yes that is where the Viper Bob came from). Starting with the '01 gives you the deeper oil sump and a little better fan setup. Other items that I found VERY helpful.

1) Porsche Big Red brakes. If you like front calipers equivalent to a 964, and a rear single piston caliper then you are fine. BRAKES are one of the sore spots in the car. There are conversion kits to mount the Big Reds off a 993TT. WAY better. You can just see them in my pic.
2) HEAT.... The cars are very hot. the catalytic convertor runs through the VERY wide sill. So it is always hot inside. Also, you will burn yourself in the summer getting in and out in shorts. You become good at jumping over the sill
3) More HEAT. The radiator is inadequate. I went to a LARGE aluminum setup. Also need some purge capability up high as the radiator is below the engine.
4) Suspension. The shocks are garbage, and it need to be lower. I went with a Koni 2812 setup.
5) Knee pad. With the gas pedal under the steering wheel, you are cocked sideways in the cabin. On the track, your knee is always against the door panel. I went to wearing a knee pad as I was always rubbing the side of my knee raw.
6) Gearing. The standard gears SUCK. I went with some 3.73s so that I could use 6th under 100 MPH. Many people just upgrade to 3.55, but I liked the 3.73s.
7) Air pressure. The car builds up a high pressure area in front of the radiator at speed. There are some kits to fix this. Other wise, even with a larger radiator you will not get any airflow driving fast on the track. Also some dive planes on the side in the front help.

Other things that help the car. Headers and a good exhaust. New Rocker arms (1.7s replacing the 1.6s) and valve springs, throttle bodies, airbox, oil pan baffling. This will give you a good start.

Also, be CAREFUL with the vendors in this market. I have never seen more complete CROOKS than dealing with Vipers. I literally had a guy that was revalving my shocks (waste of time) get arrested and sent to jail while he had my stuff in his possession. I finally had to get his girfriend to send them back to me. Some of the BIG names in the industry if you look closely are criminals (literally).
Old 01-10-2007, 12:33 AM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Amigo's Thank you for your comments, The reason for the sharing of the Viper between brothers is not money but simply sharing of another Toys between best friends, not to mention he has a five car garage :-) We have narrow it down to a 05 RT10 Black on Black - The car will simply be for sunday drives and fair weather days commuting to client sites. Thank again, I will be sure to take some pictures once it arrives.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
It may be just me but the wife seems a lot happier in Austria
That was funny.

I instructed a student in a Viper once at VIR. I swore I'd never get back in one of those things. Great amount of torque, but everything else just screams Dodge cheap. Gawd. Just about ruptured myself getting in and out of it too.

But hey, if it's just a toy, and it's what you want, who cares if everyone that sees you in it will think you have a microscopic *****?

Michael
Old 01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

In all honesty man, I'd take my Viper if the objective would be to get around a track as fast as possible. Agree that the Porsche handles better, but at the end of the day there's no replacement for displacement.

Quick Reply: Thoughts Of 2001 Viper GTS