Sponsored by:

Short lived Christmas spirit

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i park very very very far away from star bux or shopping malls, far away as in my garage at home ;-)
you just dont know what ppl would do.
I usually park any of my cars (especially the Porsche), as my wife would say, "in the next county." This space was adjacent to the S-bux lot and was truly a one car space - the jerk just parked next to me so that 1/2 of his car was on the grass and his driver's door was no more than 18" from mine. He clearly did this with intent - there were lots of spaces in the S-bux lot. I'm just really lucky the car didn't get nicked. What a damned jackass.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Gotta agree then that he went out of his way to annoy you. I'm like you, I'll also park "in the next county" (unless it's Montgomery)

Just chalk it up to a jackass - thankfully in the minority.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:02 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why everytime I go to starbucks or something like that, I stay in the car and send my Girlfirend to get the beverages Sometimes is a pain not being able to just park anywhere when going out in the P.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:23 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

In my younger days, I had a very nice Acura Integra and would always park far far away (at the end of the lot in most occasions), one day I come out of the mall and no cars were even close (at least 150')to my car but some jerk had the ***** to walk all the way to it and dinged my door with his shoping cart and had left it there. Ever since that day, I told myself that anytime I take any car out, it's a chance I take and that I had to live it.

I know it blows but that is life. Now I park my cars where parking is available and never had another ding.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
In my younger days, I had a very nice Acura Integra and would always park far far away (at the end of the lot in most occasions), one day I come out of the mall and no cars were even close (at least 150')to my car but some jerk had the ***** to walk all the way to it and dinged my door with his shoping cart and had left it there. Ever since that day, I told myself that anytime I take any car out, it's a chance I take and that I had to live it.

I know it blows but that is life. Now I park my cars where parking is available and never had another ding.
Had a similar situation with my '99 M Roadster. It was the Saturday night before Easter (2001) and I needed something at Home Depot. I parked way at the end of the parking lot and there were no cars anywhere near me. I was in the store for a couple of minutes and when I came out, there was a huge shopping cart that looked like it was rammed into the driver's door. Not just a ding, a HUGE dent. Cost me nearly $1000 and it never looked right. Every time I walked up to the car after that, I could see the imperfections so I traded the car in. Now I plan ahead. If I'm going to any kind of shopping mall, I take my truck.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

You know, there's logic to saying that you should park next to another car, then they cannot take a runup at your car with the cart.

Sadly, I also have a horror story of the same kind - Saturday afternoon, rainy day, Target parking lot with my Mercury Mountaineer. Parked at the back of the lot next to a nice Acura - no other cars nearby. The driver of the Acura rammed a cart down the side of my car before leaving - I assume to get something into their car... I had severe scrapes and red plastic embedded (some is still there) into the molding of my car and the running boards. Up until that point there was not a single mark on the car, even though it was several years old and had been well used. I was (and still am) pretty annoyed at their lack of consideration.

There's no accounting for the mentality of idiots like that.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:25 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

3 words:

Starbucks Drive-thru - at least the jerk did not ding you tho.

I agree with the poster that said you should support the local coffee house. Starbucks and others are soooo big. Don't want to get on a rant here, but soon you will be able to drive from California all the way across country and feel like you never left home - every small town in the US will be littered with Starbucks, Wal-Mart, and other crappy establishments like Baja Fresh, Panda Express, Rubio's and Macaroni grill. I personally love the hole-in-the-wall places and the small places that show off local flair. Down with Starbucks

Sorry - rant over
Old 12-31-2006, 01:39 AM
42empress
Racer

No need to provoke in that situation. If you saw him touch your car, then different story. I usually take whatever space is available. Not that i don't care, but my car is just as important as the next person's. I think that people respect the fact that i will park it almost anywhere. I can say that i have had no dings in the last two years, and if I am in a tight spot, people seem to make an extra effort to not open a door into the car.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:36 AM
glh
Advanced

If you don't want dings assume all people will be like that lightbulb at $tarbucks.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:13 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Starbucks sucks. So do rednecks in suvs. I'm sure his wife is the same way when parking her minivan. Total arrogance and then the care free oh well when they do hit something.

Rule of thumb, if you love your car, don't park it anywhere.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:34 PM
glh
Advanced

Nothing wrong with SUV's... Something has to pull the boat...

As usual the problem is between the steering and the seat...
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Phil G.
On my way out, I very politely say "I hope you were careful not to hit my door with yours."
LOL did you really say that? What a weird thing to say to someone.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadiq
What a weird thing to say to someone.
Things were different back in 2006...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
Things were different back in 2006...
wtf!? how did this show up on my first page?? I just went back through the post dates to see who the douchebag was who revived a 3 year old post and it was me??? I blame this on RennList.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 PM
alx_carrera
Advanced

Phil - Seems like that guy intentionally pushed you buttons.

I was like you till I had my first ding (passenger side) and to be honest I feel relieved, cause I don't care anymore. Our cars are a great piece of automotive machinery. But keep in mind thas all they are.

Happy that he did not ding it.

Quick Reply: Short lived Christmas spirit