Sponsored by:

WATCH YOUR REAR VIEW

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:43 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianImage
i find that Nissan 350Zs and Infinty G35 coupes LOOOOOOOOOVE to mess with me..ugh. Everytime I am driving around and headlights come up..its always one of these yahoos.
Be careful. Many of these guys cheat by adding FI. A supercharged 350Z will be very competitive with a stock 996. One of my son's friends has a supercharged 350Z and he claims that he has run high 12s at the dragstrip.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:02 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds nice, one of my buddies has a Single Turbo'd G35 coupe.

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
i have one of those G35...... supercharged, lowered, volk wheels, and pushes around 430 hp at the wheel..... i don't race with it, but i don't shy from 911 either..... Now i drive my Cab and i just grin.......
Old 12-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Was on the highway doing about 70 last nite in the fast lane, with a buddy, on our way to the clubbs. A Viper comes driving 2 lanes over, he obviously sees me as he's passing. He slows down, and moves over right next to me, paces me for about 10 secs and just TEARS-OFF like I'm standing still. Must have had 600+ BPH. Was pretty cool and I would have looked foolish, had I tried to race. I need more HP!!

I had that happen with an F-150 Lightning. He actually downshifted and revved the engine to try and egg me on into racing. It was pretty weird.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:53 AM
996CABOVA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Be careful. Many of these guys cheat by adding FI. A supercharged 350Z will be very competitive with a stock 996. One of my son's friends has a supercharged 350Z and he claims that he has run high 12s at the dragstrip.
Haha i hear that I was with my buddy in his C4S Cab one night and we saw a Toyota Supra. So the guy comes flyin up on us so we both punch it and the guy took off on us like we were standing still . it was the most gross thing ive ever seen. This car had to have NOS or pushing 1000 ponies no joke. And me and my boy said you never know who has what in their cars hehe
Old 12-24-2006, 12:05 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Have you guys ever played tag with another 911? That was the most fun of any street "games" I've ever played:

A few months ago, I was driving back from work on I-680 through moderate 40-50 MPH traffic. I see in my rear view mirror, a Black 997 C4S is tailing me closely. He pulls up close to my side, lowers his window and points ahead, sort of saying "lets go for it". He then steps on it and picks up speed. I follow him, picking up his speed, weaving through slower traffic, doing about 70 mph. Then he really steps on it and the driving almost gets crazy (sometimes getting to 100 mph). In a couple of minutes he lets me pass and gain some ground ... and then comes at me! I'm driving hard again! And so this game of tag went on for about 10-15 miles or so.

When I got to my exit, I slowed, took the exit lane and showed my turn signal... so he comes up aside and gives me a big thumbs up and splits. OK it was dangerous, but it really made my day
Old 12-24-2006, 03:33 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
I dont mind people reving their engine at me, or trying to race me.. I just ignore them, what really bothers me is the "haters" . The other day I went out with my brother, he was in his S2000, and other 2 friends in Bosxter S's we where driving on I-95 doing like 70mph and out of nowhere an old beated up POS honda civic with 3 guys around 18-22 ?? rolled their window down and started to yell at us Fu.. you!! they gave us the finger and almost hit my car, I was driving almost in the shoulder, they got really close to my car. Later they got in front of one of my friends and hitted the brakes.. It was VERY scary, I dont know what is wrong with some people..
How the hell did you let a POS honda civic catch up with you guys, let alone get in front of one of you guys??? I don't street race but I would have smoked his civic before he could say "mommy".
Old 12-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by programmatore
Hey newbie, I have a kill story for you.

There are hundreds of stories just like that one. Next time use your brain and don't race on the street. Drive safely. Happy holidays.
Thanks for that post!
Old 12-24-2006, 06:49 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I race when there is no traffic. I run thru the gears all the time - when it's safe - and if someone happens to be trying to stay with me, then that's cool, too.

I've been having impromtu drag-races from stop lights since I was 16 in my 69 Cutlass. I know what it's like to see a cool car and get him to show me what kind of power he has. Now that I have a "cool" car, I get people trying to run with me all the time. Sometimes I oblige them, and I don't consider myself too good for them, or too cool in my expensive car to stoop so low as to accelerate with them. If I wanted to drive around town like my grandma, I wouldn't have bought a damn porsche. I don't drive 100mph down side streets and such nonsense- just 0-60mph, or a maybe a quick run up to 90-100 on an open freeway.

I think some people around here should try pulling the politcally correct stick out of there asses and realize that sometimes it's fun to run the gears- even on public streets. Dangerous? Yeah sure I guess - but so are lots of things - just don't do it when there is traffic or connecting side streets and such.

I've seen stories of people getting killed in street races, and I've also seen/heard stories of people getting killed doing everyday things like taking a shower, cooking, jogging, walking, etc. People also get killed at the race track. I also like to go fast around my favorite entrance/exit ramps to the highway, but I'm sure there are countless stories of people dying doing that, too. Am I going to keep doing it? Absolutely. Just be safe and have fun.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:50 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996CABOVA
Anybody have any kill stories they want to tell
Racing's for the track. I go fast in my car, but only when it's open highway. I don't even really speed on open side streets. I think that being a father has matured me in many ways. I picture a kid rolling his bigwheel into the street or running out to get the errant whiffle ball. I don't need to be giong 60 in a 25 when that happens. I would rather roll the dice with the CHP on an open stretch of freeway than with another car or pdestrian. Yes, people want to race me all the time, but I won't indulge them.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:40 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. Racing is for the track (I've taken my 996 to Big Willow twice and had a blast). Too much adrenaline to be safe. However, I do like to drive fast once in a while on the freeway when it's deserted - once in a while, and then only for maybe 20 or 30 seconds.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:09 PM
CT03911
Banned

In a perfect world I would wish that guys that have a point to prove would stay off the road and track. In my experience if you are obnoxious in either place it's because you are in inferior driver. Guys in many fields of endeavor that are truely good don't talk about it. They demonstrate it. Loud mouths and braggers aren't worth the time because they usually have weak skills anyways.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

In LA, we have the 110 Pasadena Fwy, which is one of the oldest freeways in the country - it's about 6 miles of curvy fun before you hit downtown.

Driving into LA late one night, I jumped on at Orange Grove and this Mini Cooper S comes FLYING by me, so I hopped on his tale and off we went. It was a scream, and that guy really knew every curve and straight - I was busting *** just trying to keep up with him.

The funny thing is that there are so many modern cars who can hang with a 911 up to 8 tenths, and how often do you really get to drive more intensely than that?

As for people wanting to race me, it just doesn't happen.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:01 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my wife out to dinner in my new 911 recently and it seemed that someone at practically every stoplight had to punch it to get in front of us. Since then I've noticed that practically every time I drive my car people have to try to pass me. Don't know if they can't help themselves or just want to take a look but it's pretty funny. I'm not interested in racing on the streets and besides I already know who's the fastest!
Old 12-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Jackel
Instructor

I've had a C5 Vette and a Hayabusa motorcycle. I still want to FI (Supercharge) it to get Turbo levels of power. But... the Porsche will never touch a Sportbike in power. The thing is I couldn't use it. I mean I DID use it, but could never go near it's potential except at the dragstrip.
So, the occassional spurt is fun, but the laws have really changed on "speed contests". I avoid them often. If you "race" in a safe way and then someone else is a complete a$$ and goes 110mph into a minivan, you still go to jail!
It sucks, I don't agree with that at all, but you had better really watch it.
If I "get on it" I prefer to make sure it's just me.
I save the really fast stuff for the track...

But checkout corvettekillstories.com or other sites for some cool "computer-generated " races.

Quick Reply: WATCH YOUR REAR VIEW