Sponsored by:

Battery charger hookup location question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery charger hookup location question

I figured I'd just hook it up to the engine bay positive and negative. Can't imagine any issues there, it's how you jump the car. Just thought I'd check. The car is mostly stored under a cover in the garage and this would actually be easier than the hood and battery.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:11 PM
jjker
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

I store my car for the winter, and I have a 2 amp trickle charger on a timer, so it comes on twice a week, at 2 hours apiece. Anyway, I just attached the charger right to the battery posts. The trunk closes but won't latch, which is no biggie. I just disconnected the trunk light.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:33 PM
CT03911
Banned

Went ahead and hooked it up to the engine bay posts. Mines not a true storage car, will go out a few times if the roads are perfect etc. Last week the battery was almost dead (no start but keybob unlock and guages etc worked). This is a new battery this year due to issues with the 2 1/2 year old battery in it when I bought it. Still don't know what brand it is because I never feel like going out to the garage and uncovering it to look! Anyhow, it's what the dealer put in under warranty this summer.
Last week when it was dead it had sat for maybe 9- 10 days max, locked. That killed it. This time it sat for a week, unlocked, no issues but...The charger has now been on it for almost an hour however and it's in the max charging mode so it's safe to say it was down somewhat. These Pcars definately can drain a battery over a relatively short period of time, even unlocked.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:02 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went out and started my 99 after it sat for 5 weeks. Started right up. $48 battery from Samsclub put in a few years ago. Your car should NOT discharge the battery in a few weeks, unless you have a drain in the system. Trunk and engine lights should go off within a hour if you leave the lids open. Make sure your key is NOT in the ignition.

GT3 sits for even longer and never has a problem.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:35 PM
jjker
Instructor

I agree. The car shouldn't be discharging like that, locked or otherwise. I'm no mechanic, but mine is good for at least a month without issue.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:39 PM
CT03911
Banned

Don't know what to believe guys. Mine was "Fully checked out" by the dealer when I had the dead battery this summer. Both of you have '99's.
Am wondering if there is a difference in some system somewhere between 1999 and 2003 that could be causing a drain. Lots of folks seemed to echo my sentiments on this issue before. Anyways, mine does it and I'm not going to put up with it any more. The charger is on now. I may still follow up on this with the dealer anyways but for now I will not have to worry.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:50 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
Don't know what to believe guys. Mine was "Fully checked out" by the dealer when I had the dead battery this summer. Both of you have '99's.
Am wondering if there is a difference in some system somewhere between 1999 and 2003 that could be causing a drain. Lots of folks seemed to echo my sentiments on this issue before. Anyways, mine does it and I'm not going to put up with it any more. The charger is on now. I may still follow up on this with the dealer anyways but for now I will not have to worry.

Simply check or have someone else check the amperage draw on the battery when it is completely shut down. From that, you can calculate how long your battery should last without a charge.

Some common things that cause a drain are modified radio systems, radar detectors and other mods that require connection to the electrical system.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:57 PM
jjker
Instructor

You could be right. I'm sure the security system is more elaborate in your car than in mine, as well as likely advances in the audio system, and other electrics. Seems like you've figured it out. The best way to avoid this problem in the future: beat on the car every day!!!

Quick Reply: Battery charger hookup location question