Sponsored by:

Problem starting car

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:07 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Problem starting car

2003 Tiptronic 996 with 47K miles that has developed a problem starting over the last couple of days. Sometimes it turns over just fine. Other times when the key is turned I can hear what some sort of electrical sound (the same sound I hear when the key is turned to position 1) but the car makes no attempt to turn over.

When this happens, I've tried moving the Tip lever to neutral, back into park, trying to start, back into drive, back into par, try and start, etc. etc.

I try this sequence over and over again and then suddenly the car starts as though there was never a problem. Then I'll drive somewhere, park the car, and it won't start again.

Any ideas?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:41 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Faulty Park sensor switch perhaps?

I know on the manual cars, like mine, the interlock switch is on the clutch pedal, and it won't start if that switch isn't engaged.

Assume the tip has it on the selector???
Old 11-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a worn or faulty ignition switch, a common problem on these cars I'm told. I had a similar problem, and after replacing the switch (which WAS worn, but didn't fix the problem), they later found the main power cable to the starter was corroded. Replaced cable and all is fine now.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ign switch rarely fails to not allow the car to be started (in fact ive never seen or heard of it on a 996/986) it uysally sticks on. as far s you problem, its hard to say id really need to look at the car dealers hould be able to hook up the tetser and see switch positions and see what doesnt line up
Old 11-30-2006, 11:46 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by jakermc

When this happens, I've tried moving the Tip lever to neutral, back into park, trying to start, back into drive, back into par, try and start, etc. etc.

I try this sequence over and over again and then suddenly the car starts as though there was never a problem.
You don't think that this is significant?

I've had this exact issue on a Saab - and it was the interlock switch on the trans selector.

On a 2003 model car, you'd have to have done way more than the usual number of key turns to have the old ignition switch problem.

And doesn't the 03 have a better igition switch than the old 'Audi' one that used to fail after years of use?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:50 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the o3 has a diffrent switch...........its diffrent in color i still change new ones on 03-04-05 cars
Old 11-30-2006, 01:25 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. I was suspecting something like a faulty interlock or park switch, I had not thought about the ignition switch itself. Fortunately I am under warranty still so I'll let the dealer find the problem. However intellectual curiousity was getting to me in the mean time.

I'll report back and let you know when I do ....
Old 11-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you waste too much time get a computer fault read out. I chased ghosts for months before the faulty immobiliser was identified.

The problem is that it decides to work again after you've done lots of things, I was sure it was a faulty relay as 4 times the car worked when I waggled a relay.....I also got the same result playing with the ignition switch....and, and,....
Old 12-05-2006, 12:56 PM
jimbo8351
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the final solution to your problem?

I have a very similar problem with a 2001 C2 with a clutch. It starts just fine 99.9% of the time. However, when I leave it out overnight in the Boston cold it will not start first try in the morning. It just makes a clicking sound when I turn the key, but the starter doesn’t even make an effort to turn over. Then after a few minutes the car starts just fine. It turns over and starts in less than a second.

The car battery is less than a year old. My remotes work fine. I even tried my second key with similar results. I’m thinking maybe the clutch switch is sticking when it is cold for some reason. Any other ideas?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:11 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Quick update -

The dealer has had the car for a few days and they don't have a definitive answer yet. I spoke with the service advisor today, not the technician, so I only have a high level understanding of what's wrong and not a technical answer.

She basically described the problem as the equivalent of the neutral switch in a manual transmission going bad. The car thinks its in gear so it won't start. They have been on the phone with the techs in Germany and they still have not identified what part they need to replace. Apparently this is a rare failure. The dealer is VERY good, this is one of the few times I have seen them get stumped. Even more baffling, the factory did not have an immediate answer either.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:05 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Good to know - glad we had it diagnosed ok.

Chris.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:08 AM
fst951
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the same problem with a 2001 TT. It just clicks once and then several times a second but never engages the starter to spin.

Quick Reply: Problem starting car