996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's the best for the synchros

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:10 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

synros usaly fail from abuse, not fully releaseing the clutch before shifting, grinding shifts ect.
synro wear is the last thing i think about when i drive my car
Old 11-23-2006, 04:02 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you gotta do is put it in nuetral and push the clutch in and release. When the light turns green, you just slide it right into gear and everything is synched up already. If you are sitting there with your foot on the clutch, then in theory you are wearing the springs of the clutch out slightly faster. Doesn't make much of a difference- but also I just hate sitting there with my clutch pushed in. Anyway- just put it in nuetral and cycle the clutch once and you are good to go.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
So together with the friction Brad mentioned, the input shaft never really stops even if you clutch in comlpetely. That also means shifting to another gear first to attempt to stop the input shaft will not work too well since the moment you shift out of that gear, the input shaft will be back to rotation by the drag...so you will wear out the syncrhos of both gears. Not good.

So shifting to 1st directly isn't too bad afterall

- Ahsai
Yes, you're right, the input shaft never stops spinning, but the drag is minimal. Just like the brake pads on the rotor, if you jack up the car, you should be able to freely spin the wheel, even though the brake pads are extremely close. The pads, by the way, should not be touching. Same with the clutch. But, you will get some drag from the rest of the components. So, while it is spinning, the drag is minimal. In other words, it could take 1,2,3,5, or even 10 seconds to get the input shaft back up to spinning. It depends on how much drag, but a good clutch that is fully depressed will have minimal drag.

Quick Reply: What's the best for the synchros