Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carbon fiber on steering wheel

I've seen carbon fiber on one of the threads in here and it looks nice but is there any issue with sweaty hands and grip? (Leave the comments about sweaty hands out....) I seem to have sweaty hands driving the p-car but not any of our other vehicles...Maybe I'm too excited but whatever. Do you have any issues with grip and carbon fiber, or wood trim?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

The carbon runs across the top and two smaller sections on bottom. Not a biggie with wetness, as the leather is right there.

We have wood/leather on our Audi, same question same answer. Not a problem. Though I don't have much moisture in the palms.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-19-2006, 12:41 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

No problem...ever hear of driving gloves?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes but In thought they are a bit "poohpooh" for my tastes. You just don't see them anymore. Out west particularly. Once I attempt the DE's and move to those events most likely I'll end up doing that. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:38 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No prolems, same on bottom as top
Old 11-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eharrison
I've seen carbon fiber on one of the threads in here and it looks nice but is there any issue with sweaty hands and grip? (Leave the comments about sweaty hands out....) I seem to have sweaty hands driving the p-car but not any of our other vehicles...Maybe I'm too excited but whatever. Do you have any issues with grip and carbon fiber, or wood trim?

my steering wheel is alu where the CF is located. i have never has an issue with your concern.

it is cooler for the warm up in winter and can get toasty if sitting in the balzing sun but they blow away the standard wheel imo.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:08 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

I saw the picture of the CF steering wheel, and I thought I would comment about it.

If that's true carbon fiber cloth and resin, I think that could be a big problem on a steering wheel. ie: eventually I think you might wear through the epoxy resin and then you'll have sharp shards of carbon fibers that could hurt your hands and cause other problems.

If you like the look of it - go for it, but it seems like it's a miss-use of the carbon fiber material to do all this decorative stuff, and even worse, it could be dangerous in a steering wheel grip. I wouldn't have it on the steering wheel. CF shards hurt.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by plantraco
If that's true carbon fiber cloth and resin, I think that could be a big problem on a steering wheel. ie: eventually I think you might wear through the epoxy resin and then you'll have sharp shards of carbon fibers that could hurt your hands and cause other problems.
My car is a 2000 with the carbon fiber steering wheel. I think that i would sooner wear through the leather than the epoxy. Moreover, the steering wheel is about as cool an option as I've seen. it always gets attention from passersby.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:16 AM
QueenCityCarrera4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was originally a California car. My guess is after 5 years in SoCal sun, it caused the "resin coating" to crack. What I am left with is a "cracked" areas on the CF. Not a huge issue, but everytime I grip the wheel I think "damn, I wish it didnt cost $1,000 bucks to get a new one!!" Not sure if this is an isolated case or not, but it definitely happened on mine.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:53 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Queen, that's a definite shame and I've heard of that happening on some steering wheels. I think the key 'was' to have reported it to Porsche while you were in warranty for repair. I've hard the newer resin coatings are much better.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:18 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The carbon wheel looks very sharp. But I'm not sure I'm fond of how it feels when you drive. It feels like gripping hard smooth plastic, while leather is much more tactile in feel.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Mate, you don't grip the carbon fiber, you grip the leather pads at the (10 & 2) and (9 & 3) positions. It's fantastic and I've never noticed any slippage. And frankly, when I were leather driving gloves when the weather gets a bit nippy, the grip is fantastic.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:18 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Mate, you don't grip the carbon fiber, you grip the leather pads at the (10 & 2) and (9 & 3) positions. It's fantastic and I've never noticed any slippage. And frankly, when I were leather driving gloves when the weather gets a bit nippy, the grip is fantastic.
Absolutely spot on!
Old 11-21-2006, 11:11 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
It's easier to grip the 12 o'clock position when you're holding a cup of Starbucks or your mobile phone in your other hand.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:36 AM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine cracks when the temps drop below freezing. i had it replaced under warrantee and then the new one started cracking the following winter! if someone wants to trade me their graphite grey wheel for a graphitegrey/carbon wheel, I would definitely be interested!

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber on steering wheel