Sponsored by:

drip-charger/battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:58 PM
stationkeeper
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question drip-charger/battery tender

I have a '03 c2 and about a year ago i purchased a battery tender brand drip charger. It worked fine on the c2 for about a year and then suddenly it would not charge the battery....the charger unit itself got very hot. I had the battery itself checked and it was getting weak so i replaced it with a new one.
In the meantime, i have tried the charger on my two other vehicles and it worked just fine......so i hooked it up to the c2 and the new battery and got the same result...no charge to the c2 and unit itself just gets very hot.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

...and your question?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:32 PM
stationkeeper
5th Gear

Default drip-charger/battery tender

Oops...i guess i didn't ask a question.

i'm just wondering if anyone else has had a problem using a drip charger with a 996.....mine seams to be working fine on the other autos and was working fine on the 996 until recently.

When i replaced the battery, they checked the charging system on the 996 and said it checked out fine.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I've not heard of any issues, although some advocate hooking up the drip charger once a week, rather than leaving it plugged in all the time.

it could just be that your original battery was just getting to the end of it's life.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:33 PM
stationkeeper
5th Gear

Default Drip charger/Battery tender

That's my concern...it stopped working on the old battery and now it won't work on the new one either. Works fine on the other autos....
Old 11-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just received my Porsche Battery Minder. I'll let you know how mine works this winter. I did have a "Battery Tender" several years ago that I used to charge up the battery (not original) on an e-type Jaguar. It never worked right - acid boiled out of the battery, which is why I purchased the Minder from Suncoast - I've heard good things about the unit.

Phil
Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I have used the Porsche battery maintainer for the past 5 years on my Boxster. I plugged it into the lighter socket for about 3 months each winter with no problems. Each spring I'd unplug the maintainer and the car would start on the first turn of the key. When I traded the Boxster for the C4S this past June, the orignial 5 year old battery was still working like new.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:53 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had good results with battery tender. I use it on my K bike, Merc and P car.

When you connect the alligator clips to the battery on the P car, does the light on battery tender stay red? Or, are you attaching the battery tender through cigarett lighter?

Are you connecting the tender to the various cars differently? Different harness used? Check the fuse in the battery tender.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
stationkeeper
5th Gear

Default drip-charger/battery tender

i am using the same kind of harness on each vehicle, namely the pig-tail type that stays permanently attached to the battery. I did check the fuse, it is okay.

the light on the battery tender goes to steady red, the box gets pretty hot, and the red never goes to green.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:33 AM
jdk1
Instructor

The battery maintainers must wear out. I purchased one at Ace Hardware that I used on my 944 (rarely driven) for a few years. It worked great and suddenly the yellow (problem) light remained illuminated no matter which car I hooked it up to.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, do you guys have a god recommendation on a battery tender/charger ? I'd rather have one which
1) charges thru the cigarette lighter port as well as directly thru terminals
2) Can also charge (sport) motorcycle batteries (6V switch or something??)

My battery died just recently and while I was able to get to the driver's seat, my hood was electronically locked !! So I had to dismantle the driver side strip holding the hood/trunk levers to disengage the electonic switch. And no, on a '99 996 they don't have the + terminal on the fuse box to supply backup battery supply - this came 2000 onwards. Plus my battery itself was dead. I have a new battery but I'd rather get a good battery tender instead of wasting a day next time.

Thanks !
Sid
Old 11-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sids911
Hey, do you guys have a god recommendation on a battery tender/charger ? I'd rather have one which
1) charges thru the cigarette lighter port as well as directly thru terminals
2) Can also charge (sport) motorcycle batteries (6V switch or something??)
Sid - I don't have God's recommendation , but here's exactly what I think you're looking for. I just got mine from Suncoast yesterday!

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...de=95504490054

Phil
Old 11-08-2006, 05:51 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I like the Battery Tender Waterproof 800 I got. It comes with clamps and eyelet terminals. I called the manuf, and they sent me the cig lighter plug for free (which is not on their website). The one I got is completely sealed and has a 3 stage charging. They have a bunch of others.

http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_12
http://batterytender.com/selection_guide.php
Old 11-08-2006, 11:42 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stationkeeper, are you connecting the tender different amongst your cars? Not sure why it works on other cars except your Porsche. it's got to be some difference between how you are connecting. use the same wiring (retighten everything and check for corrosion).
Old 11-09-2006, 05:35 PM
stationkeeper
5th Gear

all the vehicles are connected the same way....i have checked the fuse and i guess i will make sure the lugs are tight but i am sure they are.

after this, i am at a loss since it works on the other cars.

Quick Reply: drip-charger/battery tender