Sponsored by:

Overfilled coolant tank ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overfilled coolant tank ?

This weekend i re-filled the coolant tank to the top of the seam in the plastic (at the MAX marker i guess) and replaced a seeping cap.

After a track session, i saw a puddle (well 1/2 cup full) of coolant on the ground (didnt think it was mine), then a few session later another few spoonfulls (now i know this was mine).
After driving home (180-miles) i got a few more drops,
Today on the way to work and lunchtime errands, its totally dry.
The level is at the bottom of the seam in the plastic tank (still almost at MAX)
No overheating, even after the track session it just got to the right part of the "0" in 180.

Has anyone seen this before ? Will the coolant belch itself out until its at the max level ?

The drips are from the area directly below the tank, and it was dripping onto the exhaust header and there was some crusty looking dried coolant on the exhaust tips area.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

cracked expansion tank. very common in these cars.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:32 PM
ericdee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I just did the same not to long ago. It's been ok for two weeks now. But I'd keep an eye on it.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
This weekend i re-filled the coolant tank to the top of the seam in the plastic (at the MAX marker i guess) and replaced a seeping cap.

After a track session, i saw a puddle (well 1/2 cup full) of coolant on the ground (didnt think it was mine), then a few session later another few spoonfulls (now i know this was mine).
After driving home (180-miles) i got a few more drops,
Today on the way to work and lunchtime errands, its totally dry.
The level is at the bottom of the seam in the plastic tank (still almost at MAX)
No overheating, even after the track session it just got to the right part of the "0" in 180.

Has anyone seen this before ? Will the coolant belch itself out until its at the max level ?

The drips are from the area directly below the tank, and it was dripping onto the exhaust header and there was some crusty looking dried coolant on the exhaust tips area.

Thanks
Normal

Flushed my system last week.

Filled up to much and over flowed right onto the header.

I did notice much better temp control with the new fluid. When was the last coolant flush?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

probaly just over filled. it is a "self" bleeding system it will purge if over filled.
As far as temp control............ psychosematic but still not a bad idea to do
Old 10-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Ive never done a coolant flush.
Its a 2001 with only 17k miles, and the coolant is supposed to be lifetime isnt it ?
For $50 for a couple of litres of the Porsche stuff a coolant flush must be like $350 just for fluid ??
The coolant looks just fine... was a green/yellow clear color... now has a pink hue to it with the new mix.
The cap was bad before so i have no real baseline to say if the control is better or worse now its full, its always been somewhat erratic moving about between the left and right edges of the "0" in 180. If it creeps up past the center of the "0" in stop and go i just hit the AC and it stabilizes a bit

I'll keep an eye on it to see if i get anymore drips... already got the tank quote from Sunset just in case
Old 10-30-2006, 08:01 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
probaly just over filled. it is a "self" bleeding system it will purge if over filled.
As far as temp control............ psychosematic but still not a bad idea to do

I went from the middle of the 0 the the middle of 8 with normal driving after I changed mine.

You could be right though... It took me so long to do and clean up that I better see a difference . "just finding a place to store the old crap."
Old 10-30-2006, 08:07 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
Ive never done a coolant flush.
Its a 2001 with only 17k miles, and the coolant is supposed to be lifetime isnt it ?
For $50 for a couple of litres of the Porsche stuff a coolant flush must be like $350 just for fluid ??
I bought g12 coolant (Red/pink color) from VW/audi part dept. Total cost was $58 for 3 gallons of the stuff.

The C4 holds 5.95 gallons of the coolant
Old 10-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was having the same problem with the coolant under the expansion tank. I read where the original has problems and the OEM replacement is not the same tank but an upgrade white plastic. I replace the tank and cap, problem solved. The expansion tank cost 250$ and was a real pain to remove. I ended up having to remove the expansion tank top mounting bracket to get it out. If you are leaking coolant you have a problem, Porsche coolant is a closed system and with life time coolant.
Coolant expansion tank 996 C2/4 996-106-147-56
Old 10-31-2006, 03:09 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LIFE TIME COOLANT IS OPEN TO INTERPRETATION.
the oem replacement isnt all the diffrent and i have sen the new ones leak too
Old 10-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Im more convinced i have a cracked tank now.
Monday was dry all day and after the comute home i got a few more spots on the driveway. Same place. Damn near impossible to see where its coming from, but it looks kind of damp under the bottom of the tank when i shine a flashlight in there.
.... so i ordered the tank... $76 from Sunset !!!
Now to get the nerve to install myself :-)
I have the DIY for the 99, but mine looks a little different.
The tank seems to have a cylinder-object between it and the engine (fuel filter ???). Does this need to come out first ?
The air pump on the back seems no problem.
Do i need special tools to get the hose clamps off ? Or just pliers to compress them ?
After removing the two fuel lines do these need to be bled ? Or just re-connected ?
Any other advice ?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 07:46 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Here is instructions on RennTech:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8024
Old 10-31-2006, 09:47 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure it's only the tank. My whole coolant system had to be replaced after it self destructed at the track as the guage shot up.
(Then quite a bit later, I assume totally unrelated, coolant got into my engine and totally destroyed it. A new engine is being placed in my car now).

Quick Reply: Overfilled coolant tank ?