996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Odometer Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dell you are (as always) cracking me up...."who pissed in your cheerios????WTF....I am going to use this one!!!

And if Mr.m8powr thinks there is too much OT and not enough to the point...go to the dealer and pay thru the nose..for something you might have gotten out of all the OT on this site!! I hate being to the point...love long drawn stories that lead to nowhere.......I could go on...but don't want to **** anybody else off

NOW something serious: my odometer started to grow a "fungus" on the last 2 digits....anybody seen this before??? It is not a real fungus..but it looks like a leak in the LED or something like that... I will take a picture soon....I guess I have to get myself a new mod!!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:39 AM
m8powr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont care about the OT stuff - part of what makes a great message board; it breaks the rigidness. I just have had experiences with strict guidelines on Roadfly. Once again, i apologize.

Sounds like your screen has ruptured. Not sure if you can replace only ODO or if it needs an entire cluster. Beautiful car btw!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:05 AM
ML
Instructor

Hi, I am ML and I like long walks on the beach with hot girls. I drive a 2004 Cayenne S and a 2002 C4S.

(just in case I have questions later!)
Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 PM
m8powr
AutoX

LOL.

i wonder where toolpants went - the picture he posted is exactly my problem.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

I am on Renntech.org

I am not and have never been a Rennlist Member, just a user.

I would have thought that by now the Members would have told you how you MIGHT be able to get the instrument cluster displays to read properly.

But, all I see is nonesense.

My pictures are of an early 986 cluster. Your early 996 cluster is no different except for the 2 analog gauges for volts and oil pressure.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:04 AM
m8powr
AutoX

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I am on Renntech.org

I am not and have never been a Rennlist Member, just a user.

I would have thought that by now the Members would have told you how you MIGHT be able to get the instrument cluster displays to read properly.

But, all I see is nonesense.

My pictures are of an early 986 cluster. Your early 996 cluster is no different except for the 2 analog gauges for volts and oil pressure.
Thank you for your contribution Tool Pants. I am actually confusing rennlist and renntech. I have previously posted on renntech about some other issues. Sadly, this is my issue and I am at a dead end. My car is stuck in my garage. A VDO specialty shop in north hollywood has no idea whats up. A porsche specialty shop doesn't know. Next step is getting screwed at the dealer. Why I posted my question here, but all I have gotten in response is "hazing," which i dont mind, i just need help as well!

Thanks again, I'm now putting on my NOMEX.

- Cort
Old 10-20-2006, 03:36 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/146037-boxster-odometer-problem.html
Old 10-20-2006, 03:42 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Wow...did you ever find out the cause of this electronic phenomenon?
Old 10-20-2006, 04:06 AM
m8powr
AutoX

Thank you so much Tool Pants - I will try this when i get the speedo back.

Strange... electrical gremlins.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:06 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by m8powr
Thank you so much Tool Pants - I will try this when i get the speedo back.

Strange... electrical gremlins.
I had never heard of this type of problem before you posted the issue. I would venture to guess that most of the other guys had not heard of it either. I hope Tool Pants' procedure solves your problem.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

m8power,
glad you waded through the crap to get your answer.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:42 AM
ruckmjr
Advanced

m8power: The color of your car is incredible. Hope you get your problem fixed and post back. I haven't had this problem but would like to know where to find the answer.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

The link to the Boxster section was for a question asked in July 2004. I had never seen with my own eyes the digital displays go funky, just reports of this happening by Boxster owners on message boards, after they disconnected and then reconnected the battery.

I must have disconnected the battery on various Boxsters 100 times over the years at our local work on cars days. We do this typically because we are removing a seat, steering wheel, or air bag and I do not want to trigger the air bag light if I need to turn the ignition key on.

Then it happened to me in September 2004 on a 1999 Boxster owned by a friend. We removed the battery for a cd changer install, so that we could run the changer cable through a rubber gromet behind the battery. When we put everything back together the digital displays looked just like the 2 pictures. The 2 pictures are of that 1999 Boxster. I tried the "fix" and the display returned to normal.

I still do not know what causes the display to go funky, but obviously it has something to do with a power interruption to the cluster. Still do not know why it happened just that one time.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:19 PM
m8powr
AutoX

Originally Posted by ruckmjr
m8power: The color of your car is incredible. Hope you get your problem fixed and post back. I haven't had this problem but would like to know where to find the answer.
Thanks; color is arena red. Have any pictures of yours?

Alan - I love your black car with the wing - looks awesome I have a red garage - I have a calypso red (simiar) 850i and had a Magnetic Red Vette. I think i got a little carried away

Thanks to all for your input.

- Cort
Old 10-20-2006, 08:12 PM
teutoniclove
Intermediate

Whew. This n00b is considered warned. Forget taking my p-car for a drive as soon as I get it. I'd better post pictures straight away or get mobbed.

Quick Reply: Odometer Woes...