Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Funniest / dumbest comment you've received?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:20 PM
charlesml3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at a party once and a couple of us were discussing cars. Some woman was standing there and did the "Sorry about your *****" comment. I knew it was coming by the expression on her face. My response was "Yes and I'm sorry for your parents. It must have been horrible trying to raise such a snotty and sanctimonious kid."

-Charles
Old 01-21-2007, 02:10 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My kids are low key.

Things get discussed, and they tell the classmates that the 996TT is big in back, comfy, and way more fun than anyone else's car. I have worked very hard to make my kids humble and quiet about the car, but I tell themif asked, they should tell the simple truth.

The looks I get from the other dads in social situations (and longing comments): priceless.

:-)

Me, I never have said anything and generally don't mention the car. Every other guy who wants one knows (about 90% of the group I run in....).

So, dumbest comment by a dad with major needs:

"so your kids like it, eh?"

JB
Old 01-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
At a gas station, "Hey, does that thing have a HEMI in it?" Answer, "There are things out there that are a lot better than a HEMI".

Cheers,
Stupid question... what is the cylinder design in these cars? It could be a hemispherical design, a "hemi". Who is the local engine guru that can answer it?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

Default Poetic Justice 1

I was on a long sweeping overpass that connects two freeways. In front of me is a gravel truck, so I am purposely keeping my distance. A guy in a Camaro had to show me he could take this sweeper way faster with his vastly "better" car and passes me (on the shoulder), almost clipping the front of the car. Just as he reaches the bumper of dump truck, the truck hits the expansion joint of the overpass and the road and releases a bucket load of gravel on the guys hood and windshield. Guy pulls over to inspect the damage. As I pass him he gives me the finger, as though his stupidity was my fault.

2 seconds gained in time
2000$ for hood and windshield damage
Look on the guy's face: priceless
Old 01-23-2007, 07:18 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

Default Poetic Justice 2

I was in a parking lot near a beach looking for a spot to park. I see a nice spot under a big tree, put on my turn signal when some other car sees the spot as well, cuts me off and takes it. Being a nice day I did not want to start it with a shouting match, and looked for another spot. After spending the day at the beach and returning to the car we pass by that fateful spot with the same car still there when something dropping catches my eye. On closer inspection I notice that the car is parked right below this huge Pelican nest. The whole front of the car and windshield is plastered with this whitish, slimy, disgusting, Pelican droppings, like white diarrhea. Boy can these birds poop.

It made my day!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Christmas Eve at the family get together - cousin of mine in response to seeing Porsche in the driveway: "Aren't they all just basically Volkeswagons?"
Old 01-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Zoolander
Racer

FlashingBlade-I will never cut you off. Karma is strong with you.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

Default Poetic Justice 3

Some days it seems that every teenager who has just got his license and a car wants to race against me.

One day a Camaro (yes, again) started riding my bumper, with his brights on (this was day time). The road I was on has a periodic speedtrap, and so I was actually driving "normal" speeds, probably to the rage of the guy behind me. A bit further, after the potential speed trap, is one of my favorite turns and I sped up. I know exactly how to position the car, what speed, where to apex and all that and did nailed the turn. In my rear view mirror I notice that the lights from the car behind me sweep left. Sure enough, he spun out, and was facing the wrong direction in the lane we were on.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:45 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

Default The size of my engine

When I first got my car, I took a bunch of people out to lunch. After we came back, I showed them around the car a bit, which included the engine compartment. One of the women, whose husband drives a Z06, looks at it and says:

"Hmm. Cute"

Oddly enough, couple months later, another woman said exactly the same thing when I opened the engine compartment.

I guess the engine compartment of a Z06, or Viper, is way more impressive than that of a 996.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:58 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

Default Hey, that's weird.

On one of my 996 shopping expeditions I took my ~8 year old daughter along. When opening the trunk and the engine compartment she noticed that things were reversed (good kid!), ran back and forth a couple of times to make sure, figured that where the headlights are is probably the front, and then demanded an explanation (that's her nature). The salesman turned to her and said:

"Well, maybe this is the way it should be!"

Precious.

Then she called her mom to tell her that dad is looking at a very strange car.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't even keep track the number of times I've been asked:

"Does it go fast?"
Old 01-25-2007, 03:49 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

My favorite is when my three kids are in the 996 and say, "faster daddy, faster!" I think I'll keep them.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Years ago I was loading up a few bricks for the yard in my 914 1.7 at Builder's Emphorium. I decided to balance the load a little better by putting half in the front trunk, and the other half in the rear. As I'm doing this a little kid walks by and asks, "Where's the ENGINE in that thing?" "Engine?" I reply. "This is a Porsche. They're extra!"
Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the twins on the way, I keep getting the "well, I guess you'll be selling the Poorsh to buy a minivan". Of course, I get point out that I got the 996 for more backseat room over my 993
Old 01-26-2007, 12:21 AM
hamilton
Instructor

When my neighbor saw it for the first time, she just kept saying "It's so BIIIG!" over and over. I still don't know what she was talking about...

Quick Reply: Funniest / dumbest comment you've received?