Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Z06 Faster than a 911 Turbo Around a Track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:58 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

But yeah, I hate the fact that they label it as a Chevy when they churn out crap pickups on one end and also deliver the awesome C6 at the other. Chevy needs to fold the new 'vettes under a new performance/luxury brand to compete with ferrari and porsche in the minds of people (they're already competing and competing well in performance)

Actually Corvettes are built at their own site in Bowling Green. If Corvettes were sold and serviced at Cadillac Dealerships, I would seriously consider one. Although there's no doubt that there are some bad Caddy Dealers, my expectation is that most of them are comparable to the one near me which provides outstanding service. There's a Chevy Dealer about a mile away from the Caddy Dealer, and I wouldn't take a beater to that Dealer for servicing.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Corvette, albeit the best example yet of any Chevy, still has to prove its speed around the track for the next 30 years to start matching the long-term performance of the Porsche. There are plenty of cars that can outrun the Porsche. But only a few production cars can say that they have been able to outrun Porsche consistently over the last 30 years.

In my book, Porsche is #1 in the following category: Best Production Daily Driver Sports Car Ever.

Porsche is not the best touring car, nor is it the best race car, nor is it the most reliable car. Corvette is also not the best in any of these categories. The C6 is the only the best sports car Chevy has ever made. And probably the best bang/buck of anything on Earth.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:41 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like lots of automakers use the C6 platform to do their own things...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/10/...ettes-at-sema/

Anteros to show rebodied 'Vettes at SEMA

Independent coachbuilder Anteros will unveil three new Corvette-based sports cars at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) auto show later this month. The vehicles feature design cues from the 1960s, which Anteros calls the "golden age of sports cars."

Anteros XTM Roadster, Anteros XTS Targa, and Anteros XTR Hardtop are built around the Corvette Z06 chassis and powertrain. So far, the company has only released images of the XTM Roadster, with sketches of the XTS Targa and XTR Hardtop.

All three cars have an output of 550 to 650 horsepower, depending on the supercharger configuration. Fuel economy is as high a 28 mpg, according to Anteros.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:13 PM
m8powr
AutoX

Default my experience owning a C6

my experience from owning a C6; fast car, jammpacked with power - got on the freeway, punched was sitting twisted without sliding (body twist).

2nd gear failed at 3k miles. navigation quit working. squeaks and rattles. absolutle EPITOME of GM brakes. why can't GM make decent brakes? no thanks. sold.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:52 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

I have to say I love my Porsche but I also loved my old Corvette and till my Porsche proves otherwise my old Corvette was the most reliable car I have ever owned. With that being said Chevy did skip some things for the price but overall it is a great car but I will keep my Porsche. I say congratulations and hopefully this will result in better and faster Porsches in the future, ie spend some of that record profit on your customers instead of buying out your old family at VW. (Just my 2 cents)
Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 AM
fast1
Race Car

I say congratulations and hopefully this will result in better and faster Porsches in the future,

Competiton is the key. Some car buyers will always chose a Porsche over any other manufacturer for a variety of reasons, but there are many others that closely scrutinize a car's price and performance before they buy. Based on everything that I've read Porsche is eager to expand its market share, and to do so they have to build cars that are competitve and the competition is intense and getting more so.

In the November issue of Road & Track, they list what's new for '08 for several marques. There was a blurb there about the '08 350 Z which will have a 3800 CC engine producing 350 HP. With the right suspension and brakes, that's going to be a quick track car that will probably sell for around $35K or about the same price as a high mileage '99 996.

Last edited by fast1; 10-19-2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:59 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Old 10-20-2006, 12:40 AM
DGuida
Advanced

Don't blame chev for selling a car that at least head to head in handling and straight line performance for 50k less, blame porsche. That's why they had to lose their elite performance car status and now build SUVs, and apprently are going to put out something that looks like a sedan to help keep the company above water. They're finding fewer and fewer people who are willing to pay more for less.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:23 AM
poosch417
8th Gear

I'm very impressed with the performance of the latest Vette. If i were to buy based strictly on price per performance the new vette just might win.

Alas, I don't do that.

Since I was a little kid (27 now) there were three sports cars my friends and I drooled over. At the time we of course were not aware of the companies different models, we just knew them as Ferrari, Porsche, an Lamborghini.

In retrospect we were really talking about the 911, the Testerossa, and the Countach (we're in the 80s here).

I chose the 911 because I can now afford one. A Corvette just isn't the same thing to me. Looking at technology, performance, the data..the Z06 is a great car. I respect them and my Porsche is no better or worse in my books.

That being said....I love my 911's character and history more than the vettes.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:07 AM
fast1
Race Car

That's why they had to lose their elite performance car status and now build SUVs, and apprently are going to put out something that looks like a sedan to help keep the company above water.

Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world, followed by BMW. The reason that Porsche builds SUVs is to increase their market share, and not to keep the company above water.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I was taking a walk in my neighborhood the other day and a new black Z06 pulled up at an intersection next to me. It was almost dusk and the sight and sounds from that car were amazing. I wouldn't mind planting my rear in one.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Corvette, albeit the best example yet of any Chevy, still has to prove its speed around the track for the next 30 years to start matching the long-term performance of the Porsche. There are plenty of cars that can outrun the Porsche. But only a few production cars can say that they have been able to outrun Porsche consistently over the last 30 years.

In my book, Porsche is #1 in the following category: Best Production Daily Driver Sports Car Ever.

Porsche is not the best touring car, nor is it the best race car, nor is it the most reliable car. Corvette is also not the best in any of these categories. The C6 is the only the best sports car Chevy has ever made. And probably the best bang/buck of anything on Earth.
I suggest you read just this one web site to understand the Corvette's racing heritage which is a little more than 30 years old.
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/...gHistory.shtml
Whilst I am Porsche guy I attend motor racing events and the Corvette is a successful racing car with a glorious racing heritage. GM even made a special limited edition model just for Europe a few years back.
The Corvette is well respected as a racing car and with its distinctive sound it can be heard above everything else for miles around at 2am on Sunday mornings at Le Mans.
At Le Mans this year (2006) one of the Corvettes finished fourth overall.
As for the road car versions up until the new one, the past 30 years have produced nothing but "plastic" Corvettes all of which have lacked any quality. Mind you there are over two thousand here in Switzerland alone.
Personally I would never own a road going Corvette, but a former successful Porsche GT-3 racer switched to the C5R Corvette this year and in the results department he has not looked back, starting with third in his class at Le Mans.
It would be nice if one day Porsche decided to field a GT class car which could go up against the Corvettes and the Aston Martins, but the Porsche teams are having more than enough trouble dealing with the new Ferrari F430s at the moment.
Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: The National Corvette Museum has a long history of running Porsche/Corvette events in conjunction with the PCA. These events have dwindled in recent years and sadly before I could get to one.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:09 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 4 Vettes, '64,65, 66, and '98. I raced the '65 SCCA and was the most fun to drive of the bunch. Very forgiving and great fun to toss around, remember bias ply tires. My biggest complaint is not with the Vette but with the GM mentality from the showroon to the service dept, MORONS ALL. If GM woud take Vette away from Chevy it would be a new ball game. Chevy is in business to sell tons of grocery getters, not sport cars. I'm sure there are a good percentage of chevy dealers that are not even certified to work on the new ZO6 and the ones that are are questionable. JFWIW
Old 10-20-2006, 06:52 PM
MirageMetallic
Advanced

Originally Posted by DGuida
They're finding fewer and fewer people who are willing to pay more for less.
You must be reading different monthly sales reports than I have been. The ones I've seen in the last half decade indicate rising sales and revenue, indicating that there are more people, not fewer, purchasing Porsches these days.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:56 PM
MirageMetallic
Advanced

Originally Posted by poosch417
Since I was a little kid (27 now) there were three sports cars my friends and I drooled over. At the time we of course were not aware of the companies different models, we just knew them as Ferrari, Porsche, an Lamborghini.

In retrospect we were really talking about the 911, the Testerossa, and the Countach (we're in the 80s here).
I totally identify with this. THe other day at a DE, a guy brought out his Testarossa, and tracking around with that was immense fun. I admit to numerous Miami Vice flashbacks.

On the other hand, the 'Vette was always the "other" car, especially compared to the 911. For me it is like the Super bowl: Corvette is a great car, but for me they are the OTHER TEAM! hehe

Quick Reply: New Z06 Faster than a 911 Turbo Around a Track?