Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Z06 Faster than a 911 Turbo Around a Track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:07 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TBH996
No, the honda forum goes something like this:

"The Saturn Sky is still a Saturn...It'll never be an S2000"
That actually made me spit water on my laptop.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:45 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say the same thing moving from a 2004 Honda S2000 to a 996 C2. Night... and day difference. What's this... torque?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Imagine how fast that Vette would have gone if the driver took off all of his gold jewelry....
Old 10-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Corvette. BFD.

I agree with others - would never buy a cheap, plastic, POS, GM car.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bgiere
Imagine how fast that Vette would have gone if the driver took off all of his gold jewelry....

Or didn't have to lower his speed to stop his toupe from flying off.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

For all Porsche Owners...

Top Gear Race with James, Hammond, and Jeremy

The cars: Porsches bought with only 1,500 british pounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGPR...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GT-k...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbhC-...elated&search=

Probably the funniest thing I've seen
Old 10-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why's everyone dissing the 'vette ? As "car enthusiasts" (vs "porsche poseurs") I'd have imagined the rest of us folks to appreciate it ! Brand loyalty shouldn't be some form of ego-boosters. "mine is a porsche, you're is a chevy" ! Look at the cars, the technology, the potential.

I've driven the regular (non Z06) 2006 corvette (in tiptronic!) and I think its got a much better torque band than my regular 996 (non turbo). While the 'vette's "there" - I wouldn't ever trade my C2 for the 'vette - its not as much fun !

I also love the 'supercar' like shape, although its not as exotic as the the F430 or the Gallardo. I personally think they should shape the Z06 a bit more exotic ... bring in the italians to design it !

Technology wise, you guys do know that the Corvette has had magnetically controlled suspension with response times near 10 ms ? That's the fastest response times and its supposed to be really good. In fact Ferrari's next F430 will be using the same technology. Chevy had it 3 years earlier.

Also, Chevy has what they call "displacement on demand". Basically makes a their monster V8 into a V6 under "normal" driving conditions. They simply deactivate 2 cylinders and seal it off to reduce energy consumption (energy used during the compression stroke is returned to the crankshaft during the expansion stroke).

Overall, I'm REALLY impressed with what they've done with the corvette over the last 2 years. Seems like Chevy IS really interested in making cutting edge car technology and making it cost-effective. Sure they make the most TRASHY pickup trucks (= their money maker) etc - but there is something about their 'corvette' division.

Anyway, I used to diss chevy a lot earlier about their "muscle car" approach to fine motoring ... but guys they're on their way to whoop *** and their putting out positive results and technology to back that. Its really forced ME to rethink the way I think of the corvette. I think it would benefit GM if they cut the corvette into a seperate brand name and also put a $100K plus "super super" car there to compete with the F430 (brand wise).

Bottomline - competition in the sportcar sector is good for everyone who considers them a true car enthusiast !

Cheers !!!
Sid
Old 10-13-2006, 02:56 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

That Audi looks like a monster - holy ****. Also, the M3 needs some new rubber - it looked fast, but it was screeching around those corners...

God bless the Germans.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:41 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

DIMNSLOW - thanks for the top gear links, I almost needed an ambulance I was laughing so hard.

What a job...
Old 10-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
DIMNSLOW - thanks for the top gear links, I almost needed an ambulance I was laughing so hard.

What a job...
Yeah, I hadn't seen those videos before. Pretty cool.

As for the Corvette, sure, it's a great car for the price-performance point - there's no other supercar that you can get for that price, but the thing is that it's still a Chevy. It shouldn't matter that it's a cheap piece of plastic, but it does. Sure, you can admire the achievement of making such a car available at such a low price, but it's still a cheap POS. We can admire the achievement without wanting to own it. I'd take a Stingray over a modern Corvette any day, as it was a more solid car.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:51 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Asking "who cares?" is a silly question. There are a lot of people who buy cars because of their performance rather than the badge or the interior. I made my choice because it was a trade-off of everything: handling, (driver) sensation, styling, interior, performance, cost, etc. If I cared a little bit more about performance and a little bit less about things like interior and styling, I'd be in a Z06.

Alas. I do, and that's why I'm saving for a Turbo Well, maybe that's just to feed my torque addiction..
Old 10-13-2006, 10:56 AM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the latest 'vette is the nicest looking yet, and the performance cannot be denied. However, I am simply a Porsche fanatic. I like the 'vette, but when I see the price I immediately think about how much Porsche I could get for the same money. If I had $50,000 laying around to dump on a car today, I would either invest it into my 964 rebuild or start the search for a nice 356. I would NOT buy a 'vette. I respect the 'vette, but it doesn't inspire me.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:37 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by evansaero

Who cares about the Z06, It's that R8 that sounded awsome

I totally agree - that and the GT2 sounded fantastic

I personally would have never bought one up until they released the Q7 and now the R8

R8 could be a like a beefed up cayman or a watered down carerra gt
Old 10-13-2006, 12:40 PM
live2shift
Advanced

Please, the vette is a great car. I own a magnetic red 2001 C5 cab and it is by far one of the most beautiful cars I have ever owned. It surely doesn't have the finesse of the (more than twice the price) twin turbo but it does have far more low end grunt and very satisfying endless tire spinning. It is also much more comfortable that the Porsche break your back seats. I am talking about the last generation here not the C6, and I have heard from owners is is a magnitude better than the C5. I love my Porsche, it is my first and I am beginning to really become a fan, but with all due respect to Pcar people, the vette is no pick up truck...
Old 10-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

One thing the 911 has and the Vette will never have ... is the little dinky seats in the back... I know that I'm not alone in confessing that thanks to the little seats in the back I was able to "convince" the wifey that it was OK to buy a 911... even though it is a sports car it is practical enough to be a "family" car as well. Everytime I drive my 911, I thank the back seats (no pun...) for making my dream a reality... oh and my overjoyed kid in the back loves 'em too! The Vette can't top that!

Quick Reply: New Z06 Faster than a 911 Turbo Around a Track?