Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:21 PM
jlx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there may well be a difference between this mod and oem pse. what size hole is cut into (what appears to be ) chamber 2 of the muffler, and the hole cut into the outlet pipe on the pse?
i did this mod recently and cut a 1.5" hole on both ends and used 2" ss pipe with excellent results. i will be doing it to a 2nd set of cans, but will open up the holes to 2" on the can side and even larger oval shaped hole on the outlet pipe. will post vids and pix at some point. suspect the true pse may have less "wool" in chamber 1 thus upping the volume even more. may even remod my first set by adding a 1" original pse type pipe directly from inlet to outlet pipes. i have my mig welder set up for ss so expense wise it costs me a few bucks for the sspipe so why not....
Old 02-14-2007, 08:26 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Tim, I only turn them "off" when I am at a stoplight by a police officer, or when I am doing a long distance highway drive (I disabled the high speed automatic cut-out).
What high speed automatic cut-out???
Old 02-14-2007, 08:46 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jlx
there may well be a difference between this mod and oem pse. what size hole is cut into (what appears to be ) chamber 2 of the muffler, and the hole cut into the outlet pipe on the pse?
i did this mod recently and cut a 1.5" hole on both ends and used 2" ss pipe with excellent results. i will be doing it to a 2nd set of cans, but will open up the holes to 2" on the can side and even larger oval shaped hole on the outlet pipe. will post vids and pix at some point. suspect the true pse may have less "wool" in chamber 1 thus upping the volume even more. may even remod my first set by adding a 1" original pse type pipe directly from inlet to outlet pipes. i have my mig welder set up for ss so expense wise it costs me a few bucks for the sspipe so why not....
JLX - I thought of doing just that, the 1" J pipe, from inlet to outlet pipe (MK I, if you will), on the 3.4L "cans" I originally modded. But, based upon the comments of others here, I wanted to hear the 3.6L modded "cans " (Mk II)

If you decide to add the "J-Pipe" to to the MK II modded "cans" let us know if or how much that improves the sound. If that does, in fact, get closer to real PSE sound, I would be willing to give my 3.4L mufflers to anyone who is willing to pay the shipping so they could add the "J-pipe" to get a better sound out of them.

BTW - in case some of you are not familiar with the "J-pipe" mod (MK I), here is a pic showing that mod.
Attached Images  

Last edited by gota911; 04-21-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
What high speed automatic cut-out???
The PSE automatically closes the baffles over 30 mph to meet European "drive by" noise regulations.

There is a mod that eliminates this auto cut out on the PSE so it is always loud unless you switch it off.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=PSE+operation
Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about doing BOTH the Mk I MOD and Mk II MOD on the same canister? Anyone else crazy enough to do/try this?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:45 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ArneeA
What about doing BOTH the Mk I MOD and Mk II MOD on the same canister? Anyone else crazy enough to do/try this?
That's EXACTLY what I was talking about in post #48 above.

The 3.4L mufflers modded with the MK II process are not as loud nor do they sound as nice as the 3.6L mufflers modded with the MK II. However, if someone wants to add the MK I mod to the 3.4L mufflers that already have the MK II mod, they can have my 3.4L mufflers for FREE, if they will pay shipping.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:53 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
The PSE automatically closes the baffles over 30 mph to meet European "drive by" noise regulations.
aha, you mean the 27mph-47mph cut out.....not quite high speed
thought there was another i didn't know about!

here is a video clip of my PSE for those that are interested in what it sounds like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85143TXV0Ug
Old 02-14-2007, 10:18 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by jlx
Let us know what you fine out.

I have my 3.6 cans at the shop and he said the biggest hole he can cut out of the cap was about 1.5 inches.

I think your right in saying the volume would be different. That's why I think gota911 claims that the 3.6 mod is 80% of the Real PSE.

Now were talking adding a j-bend to the mod I'm thinking I might try this also
Old 02-14-2007, 11:13 PM
jlx
Intermediate

i remember being able to make 1.75" easily with correct hole saw, by using a small grinder 2" is easily achieved but takes time. the hole at the outlet pipe can be way larger than 2 inches easily....as the pipe meets at an angle. just was chicken and did 1.5" instead

plan on adding mark 1 pipe mod on my 3.6 w mark 2 mod (1.5" holes/2" pipe) for sure after modding another set of 3.6 to 2" hole, 2"pipe, approx 2.5" oulet hole first..have all pipes in stock already...

ps thanks to john romano for the set of cans..
Old 02-14-2007, 11:23 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by jlx
i remember being able to make 1.75" easily with correct hole saw, by using a small grinder 2" is easily achieved but takes time. the hole at the outlet pipe can be way larger than 2 inches easily....as the pipe meets at an angle. just was chicken and did 1.5" instead

plan on adding mark 1 pipe mod on my 3.6 w mark 2 mod (1.5" holes/2" pipe) for sure after modding another set of 3.6 to 2" hole, 2"pipe, approx 2.5" oulet hole first..have all pipes in stock already...

ps thanks to john romano for the set of cans..

hummm...

wherer are you going to connect the mark 1 mod to the 3.6 mark 2 mod cans.

Is there room? I want to do what your talking anout but I can't see where it will work.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:30 PM
jlx
Intermediate

sadly i've never heard pse in person so i can not comment beyond saying my mk2 mod would satisfy many people and is instantly addictive with no in car volume increase other than just (barely)hearing the growl under heavy acceleration
i can also say that it sucks driving in nj with the windows open in 25 degree weather.....
Old 02-14-2007, 11:33 PM
jlx
Intermediate

don't use a full j , rather connect on the side of outlet pipe not at the back where mk2 is connected..it will fit
think cuved L rather than J pipe.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:07 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by gota911
That's EXACTLY what I was talking about in post #48 above.

The 3.4L mufflers modded with the MK II process are not as loud nor do they sound as nice as the 3.6L mufflers modded with the MK II. However, if someone wants to add the MK I mod to the 3.4L mufflers that already have the MK II mod, they can have my 3.4L mufflers for FREE, if they will pay shipping.

Gotcha... I didn't quite understand your post #48. Sorry

What about doing BOTH mods on a 3.6L muffler, instead of a 3.4L... I'm sure it might yield something different eh?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:13 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by evansaero
I have my 3.6 cans at the shop and he said the biggest hole he can cut out of the cap was about 1.5 inches.

Why cut out the cap? Why not just remove the cap? That's what my muffler guy did. The cap is welded on...so remove the welds and that exposes the entire diameter.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:32 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Gotcha... I didn't quite understand your post #48. Sorry

What about doing BOTH mods on a 3.6L muffler, instead of a 3.4L... I'm sure it might yield something different eh?
No problem, I guess I didn't explain the idea clearly enough.

That's a good idea but I like the 3.6L MK II just as it is, and don't want to swap the mufflers yet again.

I think after this thread, no one will want the 3.4L mufflers to do the MK II mod, because a few of us have stated that the difference in sound from the stock mufflers is not THAT great. That is why I am offering my 3.4L mufflers for free to someone who might want add the second mod (MK I) in combination with the MK II mod which has already been completed on those mufflers.

Quick Reply: PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?