Sponsored by:

From Germany to Italy for $200k

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:53 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default From Germany to Italy for $200k

Have been thinking about it for a long while and I'm very, very close to putting in an order for a new F430 Spyder. I've wanted one forever but could never really justify it. In fact, I can't really justify it now. I just think that my pent-up desire is getting the best of me.

If I do make the leap, I'll be keeping my P-car as well. I understand the Ferrari is not meant to be a daily driver and I still want something I can mod up and work on. I certainly won't be modding the 430.

Any opinions pro or con? Anyone here had one? Am I going to regret it? I know how bad I want it now but I also want to avoid a potentially huge case of buyer's remorse if it's headed my way...
Old 10-07-2006, 09:15 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, in my humble opinion

You might want to look into renting one 20 weekends a year.

It would be cheaper to rent it every weekend. The nice days of course.

You wouldn't have to worry about mx, insurance, initial payment, monthly payment.

But if it's about having the best toy on the block than, JUST DO IT.

There is a really cool private club out in San Fran that has 10-15 cars and you buy a membership and get to pick which car you what to drive.

Not sure if there is something like that in CT

I would like to drive all these cars

PORSCHE • FERRARI • JAGUAR • LAMBORGHINI • CORVETTE • BENTLEY • MERCEDES-BENZ • LOTUS • MORGAN • MASERATI • BMW
Old 10-07-2006, 09:26 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by evansaero
Well, in my humble opinion

You might want to look into renting one 20 weekends a year.

It would be cheaper to rent it every weekend. The nice days of course.

You wouldn't have to worry about mx, insurance, initial payment, monthly payment.

But if it's about having the best toy on the block than, JUST DO IT.

There is a really cool private club out in San Fran that has 10-15 cars and you buy a membership and get to pick which car you what to drive.

Not sure if there is something like that in CT

I would like to drive all these cars

PORSCHE • FERRARI • JAGUAR • LAMBORGHINI • CORVETTE • BENTLEY • MERCEDES-BENZ • LOTUS • MORGAN • MASERATI • BMW
Yeah, the car clubs are cool. I belonged to a great one in Manhattan for about a year and really enjoyed it They had all of the cars on your list and more. But ownership is a different feeling entirely.

I'm 90% there. My only hesitation is because I bought a Maserati a few years ago trying to save some bucks compared to the Ferrari. Regretted buying the damn thing within a few weeks.

As for the best toy on the block... I wish. Wouldn't even be close. But it would definitely be the best toy in my garage!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:32 PM
evansaero
Pro

Ownership is priceless
Old 10-07-2006, 10:42 PM
RAC
Racer

Well, good luck on putting in an order on one. Unless you're a very special person to the dealership you will be waiting for years to place an order. My understanding is all allocation for the US are sold out. Your only real option is to buy a used one that is a few months old and pay the huge dealer markup.

Why couldn't you drive it daily? My friend puts on about 8k to 10k over the summer on his 550. It also seems like the more you drive those cars the better they get. This is also backed up my a Fcar mechanic I know. To many people buy those cars and never use them. I never understand that. Why buy nice things if you are not going to use them. Why pay all that money on something so it can just sit in the garage? Buyer's remorse, I doubt it unless you don't use it or get in over head with it. Man, it is a Ferrari! And you would have the best of both worlds, a Pcar and a Fcar!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:47 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by RAC
Well, good luck on putting in an order on one. Unless you're a very special person to the dealership you will be waiting for years to place an order. My understanding is all allocation for the US are sold out. Your only real option is to buy a used one that is a few months old and pay the huge dealer markup.
Yeah. For better or for worse. I fall into that odd category. I can make it happen with the dealer.

Lost of reasons I wouldn't drive it every day not the least of which is I don't want everyone to know I own a Ferrari. I need to be a little more low-profile than that around the office.

It would only be a weekender but that's ok. I love driving my Porsche and my Healey. But I have just as much fun washing them, looking at them, just owning them.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:55 PM
RAC
Racer

well if you can place an order go for it. you'll be covered with a warranty for a couple of years. also if you can you might be able to flip it after a few months.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:59 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by RAC
well if you can place an order go for it. you'll be covered with a warranty for a couple of years. also if you can you might be able to flip it after a few months.
Yeah. That's actually one of the problems. I really can't flip it in good conscience. Had to pull some strings to get myself in a position to get one and it wouldn't be right to buy it and flip it for a profit. Wouldn't make me any friends around here!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:49 AM
RAC
Racer

Well, if your not going to flip it then keep it forever and drive it! Some of the best advice I got from when I was going to buy an Fcar was, buying is the easiest part. Make sure you have left over money to do service and fix it when it is out of warranty. They are awesome cars. I hope to have one someday soon and add to the C4 for some company.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:25 AM
silverbullet
Pro

I always wondered why Ferrari's get the horrible maintenance reputation that they have. I know for a fact that Porsches left in the garage all the time have much more leaks and other issues then ones driven often. Why would a Ferrari or another exotic be any different?
Old 10-08-2006, 11:47 AM
mc_renn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I say do it!!! Having driven a Porsche for the past couple of years and almost hitting 100K miles I'm looking to upgrade. An F430 is way over my range but I'm seriously considering getting an F355 but then for that price I was thinking of getting a used 996 Turbo and looking at the numbers the Turbo spanks the F355 and with the maintenance costs (i.e. $5K - $6K for a 30K mile service) it's easy to convince myself to get a Turbo. But then everytime I see one drive by and I hear that super sexy Ferrari sound I'm like a kid in a candy store. I think owing a Ferrari is on every guy's wish list and you can't really justify it on any level except an emotional one.

The P-Car is like dating the girl next door...good looking, reliable, always there for you and your not embarrassed to be seen with her in public and a Ferrari is like a supermodel...high maintenance, can't really trust her, always thinking about her and stopping traffic and causes accidents....but then you have her and you don't give a rats ***!!! DO it and post pics!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:20 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

If you really want to do it, then go for it but in your signature, you wrote "And no time to enjoy any of them... ", do you think it would be any different by adding another car to the list??

Quick Reply: From Germany to Italy for $200k