Sponsored by:

C4 v. C2

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:31 PM
PorscheRealtor
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question C4 v. C2

How noticable is the performance improvement of a C4 over a C2 on a 996? Is it worth the premium for day-to-day street and highway driving? (I'm not planning to take the p-car on a track.)
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:53 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about in inclimate weather, such as snow or heavy rain? There is a good advantage to the C4 in northern climates. If you are talking about the dry, there is no point in having 4WD since the majority of what it will do in that situation is just add weight and as a result have poorer performance. Keep in mind that Porsches top 2 performance cars (NA and Turbo) are both 2WD (the GT2 and GT3) for this reason.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

C2 all the way
Old 09-17-2006, 06:49 PM
TurboMark
Pro

The common compliant about the c4 I always read is that it is too hard to lose control / have fun in. I consider this a positive but I like the control aspect. Also, the C4 is awesome in the rain.

I think the main reason there are not more on the road (outside of the TT where it is standard) is that it adds about $5,000 to the sticker price. I personally think it a good value when you consider the fact that the large aluminum or large Carbon package is about the same price!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are never going to drive it in the weather, and don't care about the extra's on the C4S, (widebody, Turbo bumpers, bigger better brakes, better suspension, better handling components, wider tires, upgraded full leather interior standard, stiffer steering, standard PSM, standard full auto seats w/ seat memory) go with the C2. I would HIGHLY recommend PSM on ALL C2's for the rain.

If you get a C2, learn to drive it well, ie get used to kicking the rear-end out and controlling it. The C2 is prolly a better track-car and over-all a little quicker and more fun to drive, IMO.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:46 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't need AWD to drive in the rain or snow. A C2 with proper tires will very well. AWD adds grip and therefore peace of mind as the road surface deteriorates, but is far from necessary as long as you have the right tires that are in good condition. i drive my 78 911SC in the rain on the race track on full tread RA-1's and regularly pass much newer cars except for those evil STI's and EVO's.

A C4 or C4S will handle and feel very different than a C2. The car is heavier and feels that way. Some like it and some don't. It's up to you.

All that said, if you are planning to regularly drive in the snow, you really can't get better than a C4 with snow tires. A C2 on snow tires will do fine, but Porsche's AWD is one of the best and gives you an added measure of security.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
If you are never going to drive it in the weather, and don't care about the extra's on the C4S, (widebody, Turbo bumpers, bigger better brakes, better suspension, better handling components, wider tires, upgraded full leather interior standard, stiffer steering, standard PSM, standard full auto seats w/ seat memory) go with the C2. I would HIGHLY recommend PSM on ALL C2's for the rain.

If you get a C2, learn to drive it well, ie get used to kicking the rear-end out and controlling it. The C2 is prolly a better track-car and over-all a little quicker and more fun to drive, IMO.
you are too funny, Gant . Lets make sure we are talking about the same thing, though. The C4 is NOT a C4S.

I do, however, disagree with the "C2 is prolly a better track-car and over-all a little quicker and more fun to drive". Videos are better than words, I guess, so here's a link: C4S passing fun

BTW, this is probably one of the most hotly discussed threads in 996. Ad infinitum ad nauseum. Just do a search, then be prepeared to read until daybreak.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Palting - nice vid! Maybe the saying... "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian" applies here.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:42 PM
K996
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

I drive my C2 daily (non PSM, non TC) and this includes through some very heavy Florida rainstorms and standing water (terrible drainage in certain areas of St. Pete/Clearwater).

With the rear weight bias these cars have incredible grip and at this point I haven't been through anything that caused me to even come close to losing traction.

Would I prefer a C4S? Absolutely, but I don't feel the least bit underequipped in a C2.

If I lived in a climate with more variable weather (NE or mountains) I'd probably consider it more seriously. Certainly nice to have but it wasn't worth the premium for me.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice video Palting!
Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the compliments.

Sometimes, I get myself going when I read posts that say the Porsche AWD is about snow and wet traction rather than dry performance. There is some truth to both, but one doesn't exclude the other .
Old 09-17-2006, 09:13 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Palting
Thanks for the compliments.

Sometimes, I get myself going when I read posts that say the Porsche AWD is about snow and wet traction rather than dry performance. There is some truth to both, but one doesn't exclude the other .
Palting, palting, palting

Nothing is to say that you cannot drive a C4 or a C4S very well on the track and have a blast. You can.

However, if you are focusing solely, or even primarily, on track usage, you just need to look at what people are racing . . . I am nearly certain that you will find only C2s (ok, maybe C4 for a turbo, but that's different).

In the end, love the one you're with.

Now if you are talking rally, then I agree with palting (trying to be diplomatic)
Old 09-17-2006, 10:20 PM
heelix
Instructor

I'm a C4 daily driver in Minnesota. The AWD makes it a very solid car in bad weather. It takes away some of the 'OMG, we are going to die" out of the corners that you would hit day to day - but still a hoot.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:24 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
you are too funny, Gant . Lets make sure we are talking about the same thing, though. The C4 is NOT a C4S.

I do, however, disagree with the "C2 is prolly a better track-car and over-all a little quicker and more fun to drive". Videos are better than words, I guess, so here's a link: C4S passing fun

BTW, this is probably one of the most hotly discussed threads in 996. Ad infinitum ad nauseum. Just do a search, then be prepeared to read until daybreak.
Did he say C4? Oh....Nevermind...
Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

My biggest problem with the C4 is that it dilutes a little bit the essence of the Porsche experience: the responsiveness and sharpness of the steering.

Quick Reply: C4 v. C2