Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Color seems to make a big difference.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 12:54 AM
signal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color seems to make a big difference.....

I am currently shopping for a 996. I noticed that it appears the color makes a big difference in resale value. For example, I see "Speed Yellow" getting a very big premium over other similarly equipped 996's.

Also it seems there is a lot of silver/gray out there, and those dont seem to get as much as other more flashly colors like red, yellow, or even blue.

It sucks for me, because Speed Yellow would be my first choice
Old 09-02-2006, 02:59 AM
s14roller
Racer

I've been shopping for a few months now and can't say I've seen much of a price difference. Sometimes the yellows, whites, reds, greens and blues go for less...

I guess it can be a hit or miss with the "flashy" colors in regards to resale.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:00 AM
996 MBA CFA
Instructor

speed yellow = speeding ticket.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:16 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by signal
I am currently shopping for a 996. I noticed that it appears the color makes a big difference in resale value. For example, I see "Speed Yellow" getting a very big premium over other similarly equipped 996's.

Also it seems there is a lot of silver/gray out there, and those dont seem to get as much as other more flashly colors like red, yellow, or even blue.

It sucks for me, because Speed Yellow would be my first choice
Exterior and interior colour and their combination are major price drivers.
Here in Switzerland a Green exterior and a light interior will be on sale for significantly less and will take considerably longer to sell if it sells at all. White is not that popular here either.
Silver or Seal gray are middle of the road safe colours in purchasing and selling price range. Here Metallic Blacks and Speed Yellow retain the highest resale value (all else being equal regarding condition etc.), but the interior colour also plays a role. There were some people with strange tastes that purchased some of these cars new.
I saw a beautiful Red model year 1983 944 the other day. It was in seriously good condition, but it had the black and white Pasha check interior and the owner could not sell the car because of the interior. It looked awful even though it was in good condition.
I know of a Green/Tan 996TT that is priced way below the equivalent Black/Silver/Gray versions, low mileage than many others and it has been for sale for over a year. There is a Green 928 S4 for sale locally with a white interior. Has not moved in three years despite the relatively low price.
Colour and combinations of colours are certainly something thats needs to be seriously considered if the Porsche is not going to be a lifer.
By the way colour choices and what is liked and disliked varies from country to country.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:09 AM
man_of_ice
Racer

You can always buy the low priced car and get a repaint or new leather!

Hell - I'm even thinking about repainting my 2000 Arctic Silver into something less common (that bronze on the new Targa pics on Porsche websites for example).
Old 09-02-2006, 07:02 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I conducted some un-scientific research on the Porsche USA used car site a while back and found that nationally, Silver, Black, and Gray colors were about 65% of the used cars available at that time. Those colors are "a dime a dozen" and if they are what you want, the selection of cars is abundant. The other colors (CW, SY, GR, Blues, Greens) are less abundant and it may take longer to find a car in your preferred color. Additionally, you may have to increase the search distance from your home to improve your changes of finding the right car. Good Luck!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by man_of_ice

Hell - I'm even thinking about repainting my 2000 Arctic Silver into something less common (that bronze on the new Targa pics on Porsche websites for example).
Yes you can and then watch the original price you paid seem expensive when you try and sell it, if you can sell it. If anyone asks me about any post model year 1978 911 that they have found, that has been completely repainted Porsche in a colour that does not match the original documentation colour code, I say "run away as fast as you can". Same goes for the interior. This repainting of new cars after delivery is quite common in Hong Kong.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:10 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 996 MBA CFA
speed yellow = speeding ticket.
Thats what I thought too until I owned one. My red porsche was a ticket magnet, thats why its gone.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:18 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The Metallics are more expensive, by definition. I think Silvers, greys's and black Metallics are the most expensive
Old 09-02-2006, 08:20 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Resale SUICIDE!
Old 09-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
The Metallics are more expensive, by definition. I think Silvers, greys's and black Metallics are the most expensive
...and they look like crap when you have to touch them up.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:19 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver is definitely the most common color out there so you'd think that would lower the sale prices, but on the flip side, there's more demand for them so the prices stay about the same as other colors. In the end, the options on the car make a lot more difference in the resale price than the color.
As long as you don't ever plan on selling it then go ahead. Otherwise, don't do it!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The exotic stuff will be worth a lot less until you find the right buyer who will pay $$$$$ becuase he/she has the same taste as you and there were only a few made in/ with whatever color or option.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:31 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see the opposite. Yellow and red seem to be very partcular to certain buyers and are a much harder sell. As a result, they tend to sell for less here.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 PM
SPD_GELB
Intermediate

I did almost a full year of shopping 'till I found just the right car. I literally did the statistics. Using all 1999-2001 convertibles on Cars.com, Autotrader, and Autobaron, Speed Yellow demanded a $3-5k premium beyond any mileage or age adjustments.

That said, I still bit the bullett and held out for just the car I wanted, Speed Yellow with Yellow sport backs and center console. It was hell waiting, I missed a local DE event and our PCA yearly shine-and-show event. But it was worth it!!!

HOLD OUT TILL YOU GET THE ONE YOU WANT!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Color seems to make a big difference.....