Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

38k for a dented C4s, is this a good deal or is the car worthless?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:08 PM
multispin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38k for a dented C4s, is this a good deal or is the car worthless?

What do u guys think of this offer. There is a dent at the back side of the car but there must be other things wrong with it. 37k seems a little odd.

http://dealers.idealer1.com/base/det...116l1155532690
Old 08-28-2006, 09:11 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would stay away.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:19 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a lot of miles! Love the exterior colour, but I don't think it matches well with the tan/black interior.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:38 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

hood doesn't look like it fits quite right
Old 08-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it says in the ad: the car wraps itself around you........yes and it also was wrapped around something else!!
Old 08-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had that interior color for a while. One day you will wake up and want to buy some grey Rustoleum paint and after masking the inside of the windows, go to town. The dent and exterior colors are fine. At that price you could slowly morph the car into what you want. Make sure the leakdown is good and have some fun with it. That car could be a great DE track beast! That price is insane!
Steve
Old 08-28-2006, 10:53 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by multispin
What do u guys think of this offer. There is a dent at the back side of the car but there must be other things wrong with it. 37k seems a little odd.

http://dealers.idealer1.com/base/det...116l1155532690

Forget the dent, that thing has more miles than any 2002 in the history of P-cars!! What, did they drive it to Africa and back?
Old 08-28-2006, 11:08 PM
multispin
2nd Gear

Good point, the mileage is crazy for a 02. But dont these engines last for much longer. Does it matter if the miles are racked up so quickly?
Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by multispin
Good point, the mileage is crazy for a 02. But dont these engines last for much longer. Does it matter if the miles are racked up so quickly?
Hey, I believe in buying a car with lower miles. If this car was 15 years old with this many miles, in cherry cond and all service records, it would be a diff. story.

WAY too many miles on such a young car, IMO.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:47 PM
TurboMark
Pro

that car is overpriced.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:47 PM
rx2476
Advanced

he hopefully had popped the trunk for the hood to look the way it does...if thats the case i'd buy it. the rear dent is no big deal IMO. see if you can talk it down to 35000 total.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know how many posts I have read on this form where guys say "These cars weren't made to be garage queens. Drive them!" or "Drive it like you stole it!" or even "I wouldn't buy a car with really low miles because it has not been driven enough." As a group, we really have gotten spoiled by the multitude of low mineage Porsches available on the market.

The 69,118 miles MAY not be as bad as they sound. If the car was put into service exactly 4 years ago, the guy averaged 17,280 miles per year. If it was put into service 4.5 years ago he averaged 15,380 miles per year. It could be that the car was put into service in September or October of 2001, which makes it almost 5 years old. In that case, the average is 13,823 miles per year. How many miles per year are too many? How many miles are to few per year?

I am not saying that Multispin should or should not buy this car. It depends upon what he wants to do with the car. I just find it hilarious that some times we (yes, I am including myself here) talk out of both sides of our mouths, depending on the situation.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:17 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

I'd say have it thoroughly inspected, and if it checks out good, BUY IT!
That mileage is nothing for a top quality European car.
Nobody here expects their Pcar to turn junk at that mileage, do they??
It's all about maintenance and tender care by previous owners.
A late model car with very low mileage CAN be a piece of junk too, if not well maintained or abused.

Check the history, like how many owners, if one owner, see if he was in a profession where he travels a lot, probably highway miles. And see if there are dealer maintenance records, which tell a lot of the car's history.

Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:37 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I don't know how many posts I have read on this form where guys say "These cars weren't made to be garage queens. Drive them!" or "Drive it like you stole it!" or even "I wouldn't buy a car with really low miles because it has not been driven enough." As a group, we really have gotten spoiled by the multitude of low mineage Porsches available on the market.

The 69,118 miles MAY not be as bad as they sound. If the car was put into service exactly 4 years ago, the guy averaged 17,280 miles per year. If it was put into service 4.5 years ago he averaged 15,380 miles per year. It could be that the car was put into service in September or October of 2001, which makes it almost 5 years old. In that case, the average is 13,823 miles per year. How many miles per year are too many? How many miles are to few per year?

I am not saying that Multispin should or should not buy this car. It depends upon what he wants to do with the car. I just find it hilarious that some times we (yes, I am including myself here) talk out of both sides of our mouths, depending on the situation.

Great post! I agree. That is whole lot of car for the money. If that was my budget I would get that car over an average 02' C2 with average miles (30K range) in a heart beat! The 996 C4S is one of the sexiest 911's in the history if not THE... If your budget is low-mid 50's and you need the peice of mind then buy a lower mile example. However if your someone in this sub 40 price range and would dream of a C4S every time you drove a C2 this might be just the perfect car for you. Sometimes you have to sacrafice in an area to get what you really want.

My 03 X50 for example had 52K miles on it when I bought it. It was 1 owner lease return. The guy that had it was an executive in the N.Cal. It clearly had racked up HWY miles. If you ask anyone who has sat in the car the interior looks brand new and smells new too. The car was VERY clean you would mistake it for a car with miles in the teens. I paid significantly less, personally I feel I stole it. The car was well optioned and stickered for $142K I paid a little less then half of the sticker. There are good deals out there. You just have to be careful and keep your eyes open.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

I have to agree. The miles do not scare me at ALL. If it checks out clean and is what you are looking for I would buy it in a heartbeat. My car has 45K miles on it and is as fun to drive today as when I bought it.

Quick Reply: 38k for a dented C4s, is this a good deal or is the car worthless?