Sponsored by:

Advice on which 996 to go with

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:15 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAC
The red one is at Highline Motors in Ft Collins? They have a good rep. and sell clean cars. If you do a PPI on the red, I would go with Poudre Sport Car in Ft Collins. I also live about 2 miles from them if you want me to go look at the car for you.

RAC I would trully appreciate if you could check the car out for me (would you guys still fly out there if it looked fine and had a PPI done?).

Here is a reply from the person selling the yellow one after I offered 38.5 -
"I have a neighbor friend that wants me to sell him the car a $40,000 if I can wait a month or so, and I told him if it is still around, it is his. You can have it for $39,500 if you do the service and repaint the rocker."

The car has the following -
It has the full aero kit, 3-spoke wheel, sport exhaust, sport wheels with new tires, stainless door thresholds, aluminum pedals, PSM, sunroof and litronic headlights.

Thanks for everyone's input yet again!

Mick
Old 08-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Zoolander
Racer

I recently paid $42,500 for a pristine blk on blk 2000 coupe with aero kit, 21,000 miles, and the same options. I felt I paid $1500 more than I should've but it was The car I wanted. I don't even think about that amount anymore.
Buy the car you are PASSIONATE about since it should be the reason you are buying a PORSCHE!

Personally I like the yellow one. I remember that same car being on my final 5 list.

Good luck with the PPI.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:46 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Guy's -

I think I've decided, I'm going to email him and see if he is willing to get a PPI done at his own cost. What is the best way to do this, and to get obtain a report?

Forgive me for all the questions, but it's a big decision. Look forward to your thoughts....I'll post up some more pics if you like
Old 08-28-2006, 09:47 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the yellow one (Im biased obviously, to me the Aerokit is mandatory)... BUT... is it me or does the hood fitment look odd? is that just a trick of the photo? It doesnt quite look aligned right.

Maybe Im just nervous about FL, but be super careful.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

You are right, something about the front hood isn't right? The perfect PPI is from a shop that has both experienced Porsche mechanics and a body shop or person with that type of experience. The biggest mistake you can make IMHO is to just have a mechanic go over it and then get it home and find paint work all over the car(don't ask me how I learned this)

Post what city the car is in and ask for help in finding a good shop.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:59 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Guys -

Here's some higher - res shots of the front, I noticed the same thing or is it just the angle...
Also a shot of the interior, the seats don't look anywhere near the condition of the Red 996
Attached Images    
Old 08-28-2006, 11:12 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Not to forget some pics of the Red, I had to really reduce them size as the pics sent for the red were very high res which gives me a better vibe from the dealership....

Notice a similarity in the front again, I think it may just be the angle
Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2006, 11:12 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of things the Yellow car looks like it has full leather. I think I see stitching on the panel, top dash and the dash looks smooth not vinyl. Also Supple leather seats will look more weathered just the nature of the supple leather. For supple leather those look great. They will look much better in person. The Red car looks like the top part of the dash does not have stitching which would mean the car is not Full leather.

Yellow Car: Aero, Full Leather ?, 3 spoke wheel, PSE, PSM, Litronics, SD wheels, low miles.... MAN BUY IT ALLREADY!!!! No brainer.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Can you post more interior pics... I did not see the newest red pics. Must have been posting while I was typing. I am 95% sure that the red car has only partial leather. That was the only thing going for it in my book other then the 01 model year.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:41 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hood looks better in these shots. May have been the angle. I say have someone take a peek in person just to be safe. Otherwise, the yellow looks very sweet.

Totally agree on the supple leather. My supples look more weathered than that, but they're very comfortable
Old 08-28-2006, 11:49 PM
RAC
Racer

I will try and look at the car after work. You should really sit down and figure out which car YOU want. Both cars so far look great.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:52 PM
exlondoner
Racer

Again, thanks for the feedback (I really have fallen in love with this forum, I used to be an M3 owner only a few weeks ago until I got a great price for her)

My heart is really set on the yellow, next question is anyone here located near Boca Raton, FL, I'll send him an email now to see if he can get the PPI done this week, should I have him tell the dealer to call me, how does getting a PPi done out of state?

Thanks all!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:18 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

usually the buyer pays for the PPI. That way all paperwork goes to you. You are essentially hiring the dealership to do the work. After the PPI I would talk to whom ever does the work. They will be able to answer all of your questions. With a Clean car with low miles their job will be looking for RMS leak, coolant leaks, all of the normal failures. You found a great looking car! Private party you might have a true gem on your hands.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 AM
exlondoner
Racer

Originally Posted by RAC
I will try and look at the car after work. You should really sit down and figure out which car YOU want. Both cars so far look great.

RAC, if it's on your way I'd appreciate it and get some proper specs/options, otherwise don't go out of your way

Mick
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 AM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by exlondoner
RAC, if it's on your way I'd appreciate it and get some proper specs/options, otherwise don't go out of your way

Mick

No worries ... I know the guys there and it is right on my way.

Quick Reply: Advice on which 996 to go with