Sponsored by:

ot- mooresville nc

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:46 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default ot- mooresville nc

we are thinking of relocating from south florida to Mooresville NC.
anybody with some advise or live nearby...thanks
Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Charlotte, NC on the south side of town... Mooresville is north of Charlotte, about 35 miles from me. I have lived in The Netherlands, Belgium, London, Singapore, Sydney, NY Metro and Mass before moving to CLT... really like it here. PM if you want to talk about specifics.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm with Dutchie...I live in southeast Charlotte, and am a native here. Remember when Mooresville was a sleepy little village with a pond out back and gravel roads. Now it's Nascar heaven, tons of mega million $ homes (Panthers, Bobcats, Nascar related), and all the amenities, including traffic, no one really wanted there. Call it growth, I guess.

If your world revolves around something in or near Mooresville, you'll be fine. But hiking into Charlotte everyday won't be a pleasure.

Call or email anytime. Happy to assist.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

thanks dutchie and eric.....i suppose traffic is a problem going into any mayor city these days. if lake norman is out of our price range could you guys suggest any other areas on a lake with good schools....thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 06:15 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SPIKES
could you guys suggest any other areas on a lake with good schools....thanks

Sorry, this place is certainly not known for its schools. Sad but true. How old or what grades? There are pockets where certain 'better' schools exist.

Go south. Lake Wylie, Fort Mill SC School District gets top honors. And your property taxes will be significantly lower than in Charlotte.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

second that... this is pretty much a 'private school' city in my opinion. If you want to be north of town near Lake Norman, the town that does have great schools is Davidson.

Will you be commuting into downtown (uptown as they call it here... don't ask me why)?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:22 AM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

not good to hear. my son is turning 13 and in 7th grade in middle school.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dutchie is not a native.

There is a very good reason it's called 'uptown'.....but you have to travel to the area from the east/south side, and go in on Trade Street, to understand why.

Spikes, can you go toward Lake Wylie, Ft Mill area? If so, that's a winner. If not, you're in for a challenge.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Dutchie is not a native.

There is a very good reason it's called 'uptown'.....but you have to travel to the area from the east/south side, and go in on Trade Street, to understand why.

Enlight me please.... is it because there is a 12ft elevation change???
Old 08-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SPIKES
not good to hear. my son is turning 13 and in 7th grade in middle school.
Even though my kids go to private school, I don't think the school system is that bad (didn't think FL was well known for its public schools either).

As I mentioned Davidson has terrific schools and there are good schools on the south side of town as well. Taxes are quite high (I was very surprised at the tax levels here, even though I came from CT)
Old 08-28-2006, 11:43 AM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Even though my kids go to private school, I don't think the school system is that bad (didn't think FL was well known for its public schools either).

As I mentioned Davidson has terrific schools and there are good schools on the south side of town as well. Taxes are quite high (I was very surprised at the tax levels here, even though I came from CT)
THANKS for replies...
dutchie
my son is 13 this year and in 7th grade. very good schools where we are and he shows a lot of interest in band activities.
we are selling our business here and will look for something there...looks like i might avoid the city. seems like we should rather look south towards lake wylie???
Old 08-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Uptown: yes, as you enter the uptown area from the south or east, you 'rise' up the hill. Odd, but that's where that started. Sort of an '80's thing when the whole area went through a complete change from a messy retail environment with high crime, to what it is today: pristine high rise bank towers and residential, new thriving arena, football stadium and great eats.

Schools: Spikes, spend a few weekends in the Mooresville area, and travel down I-77 to Ft Mill/Lake Wylie. Ask around. Talk to a realtor. You will absorb the necessary facts you need to plant in either location. But yes, if you were to live in Charlotte, and wanted only the best education for your 7th grader, you would probably be best served going private.

Davidson and Ft Mill are the shining stars though.

And we have some pretty neat Porsche events in Charlotte from time to time too! (necessary Porsche content).
Old 08-28-2006, 12:14 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
And we have some pretty neat Porsche events in Charlotte from time to time too! (necessary Porsche content).
yea somebody is goint to tramp on my tail shortly for this elaborate OT post....thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 11:04 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Spikes - I live NE of Charlotte in Concord. There is not a lake here but we have been here for 4 years and really like it. The school system here is pretty good (better than Charlotte) My daughter graduated from high school this past June. We are close enough to Uptown Charlotte (20 minutes non-rush hour) but far enough away to avoid the traffic. Just offering Concord as another option to check out.

Quick Reply: ot- mooresville nc