Sponsored by:

Have you replaced dash trim?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:56 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Have you replaced dash trim?

My interior is completly Savanha Beige. Wanted to break it up a little, but just subtle. I have aluminum face gauge so I bought an aluma look ignition rossette and dash trim (the 3 thin strips in dash). Ignition rosette looks awesome and I can tell the dash trim is going to complete it nicely; however, the instructions I got seem intimidating since you pry off the old trim and have to cut the screws attaching it. Wondering if anyone has done this and is it easier than it looks.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several DYI guides on www.renntech.org - might have to register.

There is unfortunally no easy way. One has to more or less remove a bunch of the dash to do this mod.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:27 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=jsaindc]My interior is completly Savanha Beige. Wanted to break it up a little, but just subtle. I have aluminum face gauge so I bought an aluma look ignition rossette and dash trim (the 3 thin strips in dash). Ignition rosette looks awesome and I can tell the dash trim is going to complete it nicely; however, the instructions I got seem intimidating since you pry off the old trim and have to cut the screws attaching it. Wondering if anyone has done this and is it easier than it looks.
jsaindc - What Man_of _Ice isaid is partially true... there is really no "easy" way to do this. However, the DIY on Renntech.org shows a guy using a soldering iron to remove the screws from the front WITHOUT dismantling the dash. Check it out.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:53 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
However, the DIY on Renntech.org shows a guy using a soldering iron to remove the screws from the front WITHOUT dismantling the dash. Check it out.
These are the instructions I have and it looks a little scary. I am just concerned that I am going to get squeaks and rattles. Any one do it this way?
Old 08-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ i dont think that particular point of the dash represents an area for conscern as far as creaks go. If your pieces are fitting loose, just put some padded tape behind to insulate them.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:43 PM
HenryM
Advanced

I had the three dash strips installed at the dealer. They removed the passenger air bag cover, the instrument pod, and several items around the steering wheel. They got all of the screws holding the original strips out and used them to install the new strips. The new strips look great but all the disassembly and reassembly did induce rattles. I like the look but if I had to do it over again I wouldn't.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:45 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HenryM
I had the three dash strips installed at the dealer. They removed the passenger air bag cover, the instrument pod, and several items around the steering wheel. They got all of the screws holding the original strips out and used them to install the new strips. The new strips look great but all the disassembly and reassembly did induce rattles. I like the look but if I had to do it over again I wouldn't.
How many hours of labor did they charge you for that?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay Pussies.....jsut pry the freaking strips off with a scrrew driver...the dash will give a little and it will scare the **** out of you.....but the strip will give!! I did it...you can't be serious and pay the dealer 129 per hour to remove the whole dashboard to replace 60 bucks worth of strips!!!??

There ar little screws attached to the back of the original strips and you got the break the connections....that is why you got to pry.....do i carefully!!! very carefully...but use the force!!.....take out the horseshoe so you won't damage it and use a towel or a lot of padding to not damage he area around the strips when you pry!

The new ones you can just puh into place and they will stay witouth screwing them in...mine has been in my car for about 6 months now and now problems......and it looks much much better!!!

The pussies part was a joke ofcourse!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:54 AM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the same interior as yours.
Performed several mods myself. All you need is a good shop manual (which comes on a CD-ROM). It's a 100$ well invested.

Here's a pic of some of my mods :

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...hmentid=133714
Old 08-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

We sell a boatload of the strips (silver and other colors), and often hear from customers when we send the advance instructions that they are afraid....but 95% of them go forward as above, and just do it.

It's not that hard, it just looks like a real pain.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
The pussies part was a joke ofcourse!!!
I got it...it is like you are tripple dog daring me, no I am just going to do it, who cares about a dash, we don't need no stinking dash anyway.

I did buy the strips, ignition rossette, and door plug from Eric and I have to say that for $13 (I think) the door plug is the cheapest and easiest mod with a huge return. It really cleans up the look. Hopefully I'll get to this in a week or so and post some results, I have been sitting on it now for a few months.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:55 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 207 Posts

Yves, your interior looks great - very nicely done.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:58 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jsaindc
I got it...it is like you are tripple dog daring me, no I am just going to do it, who cares about a dash, we don't need no stinking dash anyway.

I did buy the strips, ignition rossette, and door plug from Eric and I have to say that for $13 (I think) the door plug is the cheapest and easiest mod with a huge return. It really cleans up the look. Hopefully I'll get to this in a week or so and post some results, I have been sitting on it now for a few months.
jsaindc - please remember to take a few pics during the demolition... um, removal ( ) of the old strips and the subsequent install process.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:28 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OKAY....I am glad you are going for it...BUT.....PLEASE make sure you are not making sudden movements...you got to put force behind the flathead screw driver and keep on applying force...you will see the dash move (and it is f..ing scarry!! I have to admit...I was kind of a ***** myself...but I had seen a new dash for 450 bucks...so who cares!!) anyways...keep on applying force and you will feel it snap......once you got the hang of it..it is easier!! (but not by much.....it is a pain)

MAKE SURE you use enough protection..so you don't screw up your dashboard with your screw driver...big towel and I used a small piece of flat wood........

YOU ARE going to love the result...the new strips just push into place!!!

Goodluck and YES show us some images....but don't get to distracted doing so and screw up your dash!!

Quick Reply: Have you replaced dash trim?