996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Stock Foot Pedals not good for Heel and Toe

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Size 11 1/2 shoes here, no problems with heel/toe with the stock set-up. As Dell, said, maybe it's your technique.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Size 10 1/2 shoes and no problems with Dell's "toe/toe" technique. Also have the ebay aluminum pedals.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dell: Looks like you better hurry and trademark the term "Dell's Toe/Toe" technique...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:56 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Size 13 and pedals work fine for me.l
Old 08-23-2006, 07:58 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
What is the technique you are using?

A simple brake on the right half of the brake pedal so about half your foot is hanging off the right side of the brake pedal and rolling your foot outwards toward the gas pedal is the easiest method if you like to keep your foot vertical. If you prefer it at an angle (and harder in my opinion) is a "true" heel/toe where the heel is on the gas and the toe is on the brake (ironic since it really is a toe first then heel). The first method I described is more of a toe/toe.

Hope that makes sense.

I use more of a toe/toe as well.

I think the pedals are pretty good in the 996. In my Audi S4, the brake and gas are far apart and not lined up well, if i didn't have size 13 feet a probably couldn't heal/toe the Audi.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:02 PM
stsanford
Advanced

Size 7 here and never a problem. I initially didn't like the setup of the pedals for the street and thought heel-toe downshifting was difficult in my 986, that was until I took it to the track. Heel and Toe is absolutely effortless when you're "at speed" and really need to do the technique. My solution is to drive on the street like I do on the track and I can heel and toe just fine (last part is just a joke...)
STS
Old 08-23-2006, 10:04 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Originally Posted by Dave S
No problem with heel and toe for me with stock pedals but I am only size 10 shoe. Maybe that helps me?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 AM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the late response. In my '84 Carrera I use a toe/toe method and it works great, especially when I'm working the car hard (like yesterday on Mt. Palomar). For some reason on the 996 I seem to have a bit of trouble getting the side of my foot over to the gas pedal unless I'm pushing REALLY hard on the brake. It feels as if the plane of the brake pedal is too high relative to the gas pedal which causes me to have to reach out and DOWN to reach the gas pedal from the brake pedal. I'd like to be able to heel and toe without having to press the pedal down so far that I'm in a race-mode stop. Is there a way to adjust the plane of the pedal forward slightly so that I don't need to press so hard on it to be able to reach the gas with my other toe?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:29 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Toe-toe as well. If you think about bio-mechanics, you will realize why this is much better than the heel-toe method. If you try to move your heel, you have a natural tendency to release your calf muscles which causes loss of fine control of the brake.

I think the 996 is very easy, but then I only drive it on the track, and I brake quite hard.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Red141
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock pedals with size 9 feet, no problem with heel-toe. As Eli said, try moving your feet higher on the brake.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:12 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Typically you want to complete approx 80% of braking before you heel toe the downshift. This is the technique taught at PDE and it really makes it easy.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:11 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again guys. I've had a chance to practice a little bit (but my wife's been in the car so I've had to take it easy) and I'm starting to get used to it finally.

I've got Rennline pedals in my '84 and they are a bit wider than stock so they bring the edge of the gas pedal just a little bit closer to the side of my foot when I'm braking hard, making it easier for me to heel/toe (toe/toe? )
Old 08-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

I used to find the "toe toe" method easier but I eventually switched to the true heel toe for 2 reasons. First, on the track if the brakes start getting real hot I find the brake pedal needs more travel to engage and that makes toe/toe tougher. If the brake pedal drops enough you potentially can't roll your foot enough to get threashold braking. And second, I think there is a possibility of missing the exact target of where you want your foot to land. In other words you may end up a bit to the left and not be able to roll onto the brake pedal properly. With heel toe you have the entire heel of your foot pushing onto the brakes. Bottom line is at least for me heel toe is safer. I don't want to miss the brake pedal just when my life depends on it.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

ooops I meant if your foot lands too far to the right you might not be able to threashold brake. Sorry
Old 08-25-2006, 09:29 AM
peachboy
Racer

Toe-Toe as well here but do you guys find that the type of shoes you wear makes a big difference. When I wear my dressy business shoes I find that the hard bottom provides me with no feel and I sometime jam the trottle way too hard....kinda look (sound) stupid coming to a stop.

Quick Reply: Stock Foot Pedals not good for Heel and Toe