Drivers Headlights flickering. acting weird on me. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 08:34 PM
yung911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Headlights flickering. acting weird on me. Need help

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone on here has had the same thing happen to them. Several months back i noticed that sometimes my drivers HL wouldn't come on. I would have to turn the lights off then on again to get them on. I have the litronics xenon headlights BTW.

Now after i go over any bumps the Driverside HL would turn off and on. Flicker like a motherf*#@. It's driving me crazy. Now both HL won't turn on from the first try, i have to turn the switch on/off a couple of times to fire them up.

Any ideas what's going on? I don't want to drive the porsche at nights now, don't want to burn out the bulbs, and it's not safe.

Could it be a bad bulb or a bad connector?

Thanks,
Bao
Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the exact same thing. It's the connection. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

The lights pop out really easily (too easily), should be easy to fix yourself if warranty is up.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:06 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

headlight switchs go bad too...... id start there swap one with a frineds car if the lights come on you need a swtich its about a 20 minute fix switch should be like 80$ iirc
Old 08-16-2006, 10:33 PM
yung911
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the advice. I was thinking that it was the connectors. The roads around my house are not very smooth, i guess after flying down them at 80-90mph the connector was bound get looser. I'll check it out tonight after work.

If after i fix the connectors and the problem still persists, i'll check the light switch.

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Simple diagnosis...when the headlight is not working, stop the car & push in on the nonworking headlight. If it turns on (which I'm sure it will), it's the connection.

Last edited by Holger B; 08-17-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:59 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it flickers so it doesn't stay off for too long. How does holding the car down help?

It's either switch or the connector. I had both replaced and cleaned under warranty. My bro's old Boxster had the same issue.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:51 AM
ait109
Advanced

This thread just quickly solved my problem. I was noticing my headlights flickering when driving over bumps/rough road. Also my left turn signal would sometimes give a fast blink. It turns out that my left headlamp assembly had come loose. A quick twist to clamp it back in place and all is good.

Thanks rennlist!
Old 05-31-2014, 05:46 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

After a recent slight front left hand bump repair at a PORSCHE garage. I got the car back repaired and the drivers headlight was not working. It was working on dipped but not high beam. I removed the headlights and compared each connector too each other and found the non working one with bent connector pins where the moron of a PORSCHE mechanic had forced (or did not lined up) the connector correctly before tightening the twist lock pin inside the frunk. I straightened the pins with small needle nose pliers and BINGO. All is well now. I now have both connectors 'loose' so I can hold them as I connect the sockets together. THEN I tighten the headlamps into the fenders receivers. Have you had the lamp unit out of the car recently?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:18 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ait109
This thread just quickly solved my problem. I was noticing my headlights flickering when driving over bumps/rough road. Also my left turn signal would sometimes give a fast blink. It turns out that my left headlamp assembly had come loose. A quick twist to clamp it back in place and all is good. Thanks rennlist!
Same experience here previously.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:44 AM
narkose
Racer

Similar problem about 6 months ago. I ended up removed the Litronic bulb cleaning the contacts, plugging back in and that was that

Quick Reply: Drivers Headlights flickering. acting weird on me. Need help