Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Get this, some idiot just hit my open door while parked. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:14 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get this, some idiot just hit my open door while parked. What now?

I hop in my car after work today and some Douchebag in a bus clips the door and bends it to hell. What kind of an idiot hits a parked car.

Anyway the City of Folsom is responsible so should I just have them redo the door and paint match the door or go for the complete new paint job.

I have one door ding, a scratch on the front right fender that was there when I got it and one small one on the bumper from the garage door( I don't want to talk about it ) Numerous rock chips on the front facia.

They said they would do whatever it takes to make me happy so I said I wanted a new paint job. Is this the best approach? Or will doing just the door be better since it's orig paint? I also need a new window motor so I'll get that fixed too. Im bummed though, this is going to be a major inconvenience.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Now that your car is going to require paint & body work, it's value is lower when you go to sell it (all other things being equal). You should push to be compensated for this (DV or diminished value in insurance speak).
Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new paint job would look good. Fresh paint just like the day you bought it.

Really **** happens and that is why we do not invest in cars to make money

If they are willing to work with you I would reccomend you research what it is you want and then negotiate. But you already stated what you would take to be happy

Have a beer, you need one
Old 08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

new door
Old 08-15-2006, 08:58 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

agreed - would just do a new door.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:03 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcg412
agreed - would just do a new door.
Even with a scratch on the front right quarter and a door ding? One on the back bumper and rock chips?

Why?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:45 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Bowman, what color? Some colors are easier to match then others. IMO, I would respray the whole car. Like already mentioned, value has gone down, might as well get the whole thing done.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:54 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

wait - i totally misread your post... i thought he hit the door while you had it opened...

nevertheless, my rule of thumb is always repair as little as possible. re: rock chips... leave them, they are only going to come back!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:02 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Ouch...time for a new door.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:42 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New door, and a decent paint shop will be able to do a perfect blend - you'll never see it.

I had the same on my last car - senior driver drove straight into my door and front wing while I was parked!

I was furious, but after Spectrum Collision Irvine had done their work, I could not see any difference from one side to the other.

DV is tenuous at best - a good bodyshop will make the car 'as new', and be undetectable to any future owner.

A complete respray is way more likely to be detectable down the line - and is significantly more difficult for the bodyshop to undertake, especially if you don't go for a full strip down.

People like to think there is something 'magic' about the factory paint - this is not true.

It's just a factory paint job - it has defects, most have been polished out - but it's not something that's so special that it can never be repaired.

Chris.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:10 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Agreed, I would get a new door. A total repaint is not necessary and do you really want them stripping everything off to do so?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by cdodkin
A complete respray is way more likely to be detectable down the line - and is significantly more difficult for the bodyshop to undertake, especially if you don't go for a full strip down.Chris.
I don't know if I agree

Years back I had my car keyed. Very body panel

I had the entire car sprayed and it turned out better than when I bought it. It did take 3 weeks and 3 times taking the car back to get different parts of the paint wet sanded.

Then you can't wax the car for about 1 month as it could cause the paint to dull. Takes time for the paint to harden completely

If you find a shop that knows what they are doing they can make you car look better than it did new.

I must say the hard part is finding the painter

In the end, what do you want?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 PM
burwell
Track Day

The repair shop should know what to do. The body repair shop should be Porsche sponsored & trained. Call your local dealer and ask the service manager who they prefer and deal with their recommendation. You know they will try extra for you so that the only words the P-dealer hears, are thanks and gratitude for the advice and not complaints about how you where dealt with.
As for repaint, I suggest the moral thing to do is have the third party pay for the damages caused if they are @ fault. (If you swung the door open as they are passing by, I would say you are also some what responsible) It would be hard to say the third party caused the s/chips or prior dents in the cars finish. You should see what the actual door repair will cost with blending the colour for match. Blend the base colour and completely c/coat the repaired & adjacent panels.Then, receive a separate quote to do the additional defects. You will save money by servicing all the issues @ one time. Main rule of thumb is to keep as much OEM finish as possible. Respray as little as required.If the balance of paint is in good shape, a pro polisher car do amazing things with compounds. Buff the rest of the car instead of respraying the complete car. A dent removal service can also remove dents w/out respraying a complete panel. With the correct shop,this will be an easy repair.Good luck.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are not going to like the sales price anyway...if it makes you happier just to have the car repainted...do it you will love it! When I did my conversion (99 to 02) I had the hood and driverside door resprayed......still love the like new shine!!! Who cares about resale value....can be dead by then!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:24 PM
armandodiaz
Instructor

Same thing happen to me a month ago, except I wasn't even in the car. I was inside getting my kids from summer camp. A little lady in a hugh SUV. She tried blaming it on me saying, my car is too low and should not be allowed on the street. But it turned out the insurance gave me enough to fix everything and add an aero wing. I'll see if I can post some pics:
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Get this, some idiot just hit my open door while parked. What now?