Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Recaro Young Sport Infant Seat

I did a search on this seat

http://www.thebabyoutlet.com/Level3....5679&Category=

and found a discussion on it not fitting into a 993, but I wondered if it would fit into a 996. Anyone have any experience of it fitting front and rear facing in the back of a 996?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:38 PM
sfirestine
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Exact seat I have in my 996 cab

Hi Oreg,

That's the exact same seat I have in the back of my 2001 996 Cab, so I can guarantee it will fit. My kid was already at the forward-facing stage when I got it and installed it, so I can't speak for it rear-facing, but I heard it on several other sites that it fits both ways. I attached a picture to show you how it looks forward facing. Hope this helps!
-Shawn
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Shawn,
Thanks! The photo is great! Just what I needed to buy with confidence. I've been looking at the Britax roundabout, then saw this seat and figured that it was a much better seat for only a little more expense and will last much longer.

I really appreciate your help!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

The seats arrived and I just got around to testing the fit. I eventually figured out how to remove the adjusting ***** so that it would fit in the car - I was worried for a few minutes there.

The next question, is there any reason why I should have the base on there, does it make a difference to fit? (I only thought of this after I removed the seat)
Old 10-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Glenn
Racer

Hi Oreganet - did you get the Recaro to fit properly? My wife is (understandibly) being a stickler about a seat fitting perfectly. We've got a couple other seats and they don't fit securely.

I like what I'm seeing about the Recaro. Anyway you could take a few pictures of your set-up so I can convince her? I have a 996 coupe.
Thanks Glenn
Old 10-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Your timing is perfect. I did the installation yesterday and was going to post back into this thread today.

The seats fit and are secure, but I wouldn't call them the best fit in the world. The back of the rear seat (car) appears to be narrower than the front, so that means that the infant seat fits into the space at a very slight angle and there is space behind the seat (maybe an inch). I've tried moving it and am convinced that it is installed properly, but I'm not entirely happy with the snugness of the fit.

Overall, I'd rate it as "okay", but I would have liked it to be better. If this is supposed to be one of the better fitting seats I'm not convinced that I'll get the kind of fit that I would like to see, but it appears to be safe and good enough.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Glenn
Racer

That sounds pretty good. When you have it secured with your three point belt, does it wiggle much (forward or side-to-side)? I'd be OK with an inch of space between the back of the child seat and the car seat if it were secure.

I know its a pain, but if you have the ability to take some pictures and e-mail or post them, it would go a long way. Really appreciate it.
Thanks Glenn
Old 10-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Here's what I man about it not being a flush fit. I'll do some more playing with it today to see if I can find a way to get a better fit.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Well, messing around with it got a slightly better fit, but not perfect. The top of the infant seat is now parallel to the car seat, but was acheived by pulling the infant seat forward.

The seat is secure and does not move, but given the choice I would have liked a better fit.

BTW, be careful - Pushed back a little too hard in trying to secure the seat and ended up making an indentation on the carpeted area in the seat. I'm not happy about that.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Glenn
That sounds pretty good. When you have it secured with your three point belt, does it wiggle much (forward or side-to-side)? I'd be OK with an inch of space between the back of the child seat and the car seat if it were secure.

I know its a pain, but if you have the ability to take some pictures and e-mail or post them, it would go a long way. Really appreciate it.
Thanks Glenn

The seat does not wiggle side to side at all. If I put force into the seat I can get a small amount of forward movement, but that's tied into how tight I have the seat belt.

As for photos... well, other than the one that I posted it's a little hard to get a picture. You can't see much from the side window and from the from it really doesn't show anything about the fit. If there's a specific view that you're interested in let me know and I'll try and get a picture.

Additionally, I've bought a clear plastic cover to protect the back of the seat from shoes.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Glenn
Racer

This is all really great. The "issue" area seems to be the pass through where seat belt goes through the child seat. The 1 seat that I have kind of fits, but because the belts are so far forward, it doesn't snug the child seat up against the seat of the car. Did you buy online or from a retailer? I'm in Toronto, but have to travel to Kansas City in a couple weeks and may try to pick one up while I'm there. I can't find a retailer that sells them up here.
Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I bought mine online from the place I linked above and used the couon code ROEE to get 10% off (I was buying two, so the discount and free shipping was good)
Old 10-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Glenn
Racer

Default Thanks!

I just ordered it. Appreciate the coupon code. Covered the cost to ship to Canada.

Thanks again.
Glenn
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Not a problem. Glad to help. I'd be interested in your experiences getting it to fit when it arrives. To be honest the job turned out to be a bigger pain than I anticipated, so if you find an easy trick I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Jbarber
5th Gear

2 questions:

how much room is left for the front passenger -- is there any way a smaller female (i.e. my wife) could fit in the passenger seat with the baby seat installed?

is there any difference in the cabin size for a C2 cab vs. C4S cab? I am wondering if there would be any problem fitting this car seat into a C4S cab.

Thanks guys! This car seat issue has been troubling me (and wife) for some time now.

Jim

Quick Reply: Recaro Young Sport Infant Seat