Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

When was the last time you flossed your Radiators?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default When was the last time you flossed your Radiators?

My neighbor down the street has a 99 996, and recently had to have a rebuilt engine installed in it. He noted that with the new engine the temperature gauge seemed to be running hotter than with the old engine. He was not sure if the new engine had a different thermostat, but when I looked at it, it was definitely hotter than my 02 911.

We had both read several earlier threads about clogged radiators so we decided to take a closer look at the ones on this car after a cursory reach into the front intakes pulled out a big piece of a travel map.

To get to the radiators we removed the front bumper cover. It is not difficult at all to do this, as it is just held on with about 12-15 screws. When we got the cover off, immediately a big pile of debris fell on the ground. After another 4 screws and removing the inner ducting to the radiators, an even bigger pile of dirt, gravel, straw, cigarette butts, paper, and even something that looked like it was from a wedding fell out.

So we thought we had it all out, then we decided to take an additional 2 screws out and peek behind the air condition evaporators and look at the actual cooling radiators. To our astonishment, both were almost completely clogged with more crap, and a blanket of fuzz, hair, and goodness knows what.

So out came the pressure washer with the medium nozzle, and the radiators came clean. In the picture below, I have done the ones on the drivers side, and am getting ready to do the other side. You can see the difference.

If you have never cleaned your radiators on your 996, I highly recommend that you DO IT! If you are mechanically inept, too important, busy or vain, then pay someone to do it! This is especially true with the hotter than normal weather we are having lately. A clean radiator is an efficient one, and than means that your engine will last longer and have less stress on the mechanical components, oil, etc. if it is cooled properly.

This exercise took about an hour, and the results were immediate. The car's temperature gauge was back to where it should normally be. (with the needle between the 8 and 0 in 180)

You might be amazed at the stuff that is stuck in your radiators. I have heard stories of dead birds, and all sorts of stuff in there.

It would be interesting to see who can pull the grossest or most amazing thing out of a 996 radiator.

Good luck with it!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:12 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you're crazy! I can't just jab a vaccum hose in there?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Man you're crazy! I can't just jab a vaccum hose in there?
You could and you would get about 40% of the stuff out.

However you would miss the stuff that is the killer. That is the debris that is on the main radiator behind the air conditioner evaporator radiator. There is no way to get that crap out without pulling the cover off and peeling back the evaporator to clean it out.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Oscypek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to bad you don't live in chicago id pay you to come by and clean it out for me. ...... but ill definitly do it sometime
Old 07-26-2006, 10:33 PM
WFO
Advanced

Do the headlights have to pulled during this ordeal?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:35 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WFO
Do the headlights have to pulled during this ordeal?
lol. "Ordeal". My thoughts exactly. Love to do it but it looks so invasive from afar.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I hear you. I'd love to do it too. Hmm.... Maybe a group from the tri-state area can organize a radiator clean-up rally.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Did my '99 Cab a couple of weeks ago, noticeable temp drop immediately. I now run at the left if the zero on the 180. It did go to the right of the zero on a 105 degree day while pulling a canyon for several miles at 40-50 mph up to 9000', not bad I thought.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:04 AM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Did my '99 Cab a couple of weeks ago, noticeable temp drop immediately. I now run at the left if the zero on the 180. It did go to the right of the zero on a 105 degree day while pulling a canyon for several miles at 40-50 mph up to 9000', not bad I thought.
Did you pull the headlights like the OP?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:12 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
Did you pull the headlights like the OP?
Pulling the headlights is optional, but it is an additional 5 minutes to do so, and makes getting in behind the radiators with the pressure washer a little easier.

There are also 2 tabs on the bumper cover that must be lined up on the reinstall, and it is easier to see the tabs without the headlights in the way.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:25 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the tip! That would be something to mess with some day.
I just got my C4S a week, so there're lots of other things to do for now.
Just got it tinted today, ordered the wheel lock socket coz' I need to replace the tires.
Ordered a spare remote key (damn over $300 with programming!!!)
Old 07-27-2006, 04:15 AM
Melchior
Pro

How do you get to the 12-15 screws to get the bumper off? I am thinking about doing mine this weekend.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Oscypek
Instructor

im going to do it once i get back from my trip. my car has 100k...... wonder what ill find
Old 07-27-2006, 09:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

no kidding, but when I did mine a year or so ago when I was living in Vegas that in addition to the "debris" you had I also had several pages of a skin mag I got quite the laugh on that one. Wife looked at the pile of debris and say "only in Vegas, honey, only in Vegas".
Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

I posted a thread about how to remedy this a few weeks ago. I had just brought my "new to me" '03 996 home and I was washing it. I was peeking and poking around, when I saw a few leaves jammed waaaay back in there. After reaching back and pulling out two handfuls of leaves, trash, and assorted debris, I went to the other side and repeated the process. I wondered in the thread if there was some kind of screening available to keep this crap put, but was advised, "nope." This seems like a design flaw.

Thanks for going into detail as to how to really get at the radiators. This just made it to the top of my To Do list

Quick Reply: When was the last time you flossed your Radiators?