Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

trying to install baby seat in my 02 C4S, need help.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 04:43 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default trying to install baby seat in my 02 C4S, need help.....

just picked up my 2002 C4S of Friday (thanks Ignacio).

I bought the Britax Roundabout and installed it forward facing for my 2 yr old daughter. She is 3 ft tall, and weighs 28 lbs. Seat fits great, but front passenger seat has to be moved up quite a bit to give my daughter any leg room, then my wife who's 5' 5 can't fit up front.

Someone mentioned in another post that I can remove the seat back and gain more leg room.

How do I remove the seat back?

any other suggestions to gain a little more leg room (should I install the seat with or without the seat cushion)?

thanks

Glenn
Old 07-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take off the bottom cushion (attached with Velcro) and the small back cushion (also attached with Velcro). Also take out the rear cushion that pivots down... remove the bolts on the outside (number 7 on the attached schematic) and screw number 10 in the middle. Now you can take out both rear seat cushions.

See attached for the look without the seats and with two boosters in place. Hope this helps.
Attached Images    
Old 07-16-2006, 08:54 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

thanks, Dutchie.

I took out the bottom cushion, I don't have a middle cushion.

How do I access screws 7 & 10 to take out the cushion that pivots down? (I'm not very handy) Am I pulling up the carpet, etc?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

no need to pull the carpet; there may be some plastic covers over the screws that you have to remove, but it should be quite simple.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:16 AM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dutchie - those boosters fit perfect - what type did you buy? Great looking car, by the way. That's one of my favorite colors.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Britax Baby Starriser Booster Seat from Babaycatalog.com

$59.99... can't beat it!

http://carseats.babycatalog.com/boos...eat/17105.html
Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

I'm considering my first Porsche purchase and one of the many features that I like is that fact that I can take the kids with me and the wife if we all want to go out together (can't do that in a Corvette). However, seeing these pics, it sure looks like a tight fit back there. My kids are 6 and 4, so I am sure they will fit OK, but at what age would you guys say that your kids are really too big to fit back there with 2 adults up front comfortably? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:33 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Zedder]I'm considering my first Porsche purchase and one of the many features that I like is that fact that I can take the kids with me and the wife if we all want to go out together (can't do that in a Corvette).

I just sold my Corvette Z06 to get the porsche.

I think a 6 and a 4 yr old might actually be easier, because you don't need a baby seat. Best way to find out is to bring your kids with you to the porsche dealer
Old 07-17-2006, 03:15 PM
bnewport
Racer

I can fit my 7 and 9 year old in the back, I put the 7 year old on the drivers side which gives me more leg room.

Days are numbered though as they get bigger.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:23 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
no need to pull the carpet; there may be some plastic covers over the screws that you have to remove, but it should be quite simple.
Dutchie,

Sorry for all the questions, I'm know I'm retarded. i popped the covers off, what do I need to remove the screws? an allen wrench?

Sorry, this is all new to me, I'm not very handy.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:38 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bnewport
I can fit my 7 and 9 year old in the back, I put the 7 year old on the drivers side which gives me more leg room.

Days are numbered though as they get bigger.
Yeah? wait until they're 12 & 15 and both 5'6"! My daughters complain a little about being squeezed back there, but the alternative is for them to ride in Mom's Volvo instead so they'll endure a little dsicomfort to be in the p-car!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
Dutchie,

Sorry for all the questions, I'm know I'm retarded. i popped the covers off, what do I need to remove the screws? an allen wrench?

torx screw driver... buy a set sears, lowe's, HD... you will need these a lot for the Pcar
Old 01-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
Dutchie,

Just adding my .02 worth. The cover (item #9) doesn't just "pop off". The slide forwards towards the front of the car. If you try to just "pop them off", you will break the part that covers the screw. Ask me how I know? The bolt #10 can be undone by a 4mm hex head.

The cover (item #8) does just pop off. The bolt #7 can be undone by a 6 mm hex head.

So question for you folks is, why did you have to remove the bottom seat cushion? I didn't. But I did remove the back rest so that the child seat would rest against it evenly.

Lastly, is there a place to put the tether? The carpet on the deck has a cutout. But when I feel under it, I can't feel anything metallic that the tether can attach to. Any thoughts? I have the Bose system.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

I removed the bottom seat cushion, its only velcro, and the seat fit much better. Cabs and coupes are different, so it depends on the baby seat and the car. Cabs are much more vertical in the back, and have less space. Cabs do not have a tether, I read that the coupes do, but I have not confirmed it.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 AM
int90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
The bolt #7 can be undone by a 6 mm hex head.
It's XZN screw, also known as Triple Square. For me, a Torx bit worked on one screw, but didn't quite fit the other. I ended up buying a set of XZN bits at Kragen for $10.

Quick Reply: trying to install baby seat in my 02 C4S, need help.....