996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help! My rollbars popped

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 04:16 PM
stilton_a_cheese
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nycebo: *Alright, I'll save you the trouble: You take the car, disconnect the battery, turn it over gently,*

What *it* the battery?

*and using the weight of the car, let it slowly compress the rollbars until you hear a click.*

What? Roll the car or battery over? If I roll the car over using the weight of the car until I hear a click won't that have come effect on the paint job?

* Reconnect the battery, start the ignition, and you are good to go.*

Don't I have to roll the car back over again?
Old 07-12-2006, 04:20 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stilton_a_cheese
nycebo: *Alright, I'll save you the trouble: You take the car, disconnect the battery, turn it over gently,*

What *it* the battery?

*and using the weight of the car, let it slowly compress the rollbars until you hear a click.*

What? Roll the car or battery over? If I roll the car over using the weight of the car until I hear a click won't that have come effect on the paint job?

* Reconnect the battery, start the ignition, and you are good to go.*

Don't I have to roll the car back over again?

Hey! I made that joke first!
Old 07-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RexracerX
For those who haven't experience this its a bit of shocker - Like a .45 went off in the back seat just as you make contact with the ground again. Yikes!
Dude, for sure, that would scare the hell out of me too Hope mine won't never need to be popped-out. Luckily you kept your calm and did not hit anything on the side road, heh heh... BTW, to reset it go to page 41 in your manual. I just got my manual from dealer and read it last night, very nice
Old 07-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have not yet figured out how to retract them, look down the slot where the roll bars are deployed, and you will see a little ratchet locking lever in the center of the bottom of each roll bar. Stick a long stick, screwdriver, jack handle, etc. to push down on the lever, and then push the roll bars back down into their holders with your other hand. When you have them all the way down, let up on the lever, and it will hold them in place. The mechanism is sorta like a mousetrap latch, but designed to release with subjected to negative G-force. (like going airborne or upside down).

I have to second the notion that it is quite startling the first time you have these things deploy on you, because when they do, you are usually in some sort of condition with the car that is exciting enough in itself!

Old 07-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

When these deploy with the top up can it damage the top? or the optional hardtop? I'm assuming they got up just shy of hitting anything like that.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure about your 997 but on the 996 they will NOT deply with the hardtop in place and if they deploy with the soft top in place they will NOT hit the top and damage it.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:09 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the hinged flap hit passengers in the back of the head if they're sitting in the back seat?

Chris.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Not sure. Probably more of a bitch slap
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
When these deploy with the top up can it damage the top? or the optional hardtop? I'm assuming they got up just shy of hitting anything like that.
No, if they deploy with the soft top up or the hardtop on, they will not damage either. However, if you have the soft top down when they go off, you have to reset them before you can get the top up. (ask me how I know! )
Old 07-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
Not sure about your 997 but on the 996 they will NOT deply with the hardtop in place and if they deploy with the soft top in place they will NOT hit the top and damage it.
I have seen photos of cars with the hardtop on, and the bars deployed.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I stand corrected.......however, I was told by the dealer when I asked the very question if there is any reason why they would go off with the hardtop engaged and they said if the hard top is engaged, no deployment. But, we all know how accurate the dealer is 100% of the time

But, if they would deploy with the hardtop engaged why not have them in the coupe' as well?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

The removable hardtop does not provide rollover protection, it is just soft aluminum. Without the rollover hoops the rear of the hardtop would just crush down on the car.

Here is an example:

Old 07-13-2006, 12:36 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Man, because I have a coupe, I'm missing out on all of this fun!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:32 AM
RexracerX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok you guys were right it was on page 41 - the rollbars are now reset.

However, I do have a question for those with 02+ cabs. When my rollbars popped they pushed well into the plastic window. If I had glass like the 02's on up it would have been toast. Did they shorten the hoops to accomidate the glass???

Thanks guys for all the help.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RexracerX
However, I do have a question for those with 02+ cabs. When my rollbars popped they pushed well into the plastic window. If I had glass like the 02's on up it would have been toast. Did they shorten the hoops to accomidate the glass???
I would think the rollbars must deploy to a certain height to provide the "survival zone" formed by the top of the rollbars and the top of the windshield header.

My guess would be that the top profile would be altered to accommodate the required rollbar height, rather than the rollbars shortened to accommodate the top shape.

Quick Reply: Help! My rollbars popped