Sponsored by:

Need Rear Facing Baby Seat for Back seat of 996 cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Samdog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Rear Facing Baby Seat for Back seat of 996 cab

I searched around and it seemed the consensus was the Britax Roundabout was the way to go. I'm not sure I saw any post that said it fit in the back seat while rear facing and left enough room in the front seat for a passenger. Anyone with experience in this scenario. I'd like to use the Porsche as a family car!

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Gnome
Racer

I'm almost positive you can not fit it rear facing in the back. The only way to bring a kid under one year old is rear-facing in the front seat with the airbag deactivated. I waited until my kid was one year old to take him anywhere in the car.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

For extra info - I take my 8 month old to day care each day in a rear facing infant seat (rear passenger side). You have to push the passenger seat forward a little, but it fits fine.

I'm just about to start looking for a seat to take him from 20lbs upwards. I'm currently looking at the Britax models.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:03 AM
every day
Racer

Originally Posted by oreganet
For extra info - I take my 8 month old to day care each day in a rear facing infant seat (rear passenger side). You have to push the passenger seat forward a little, but it fits fine.
The car seat will fit that way, but any passenger will leave knee dents in your dash and lip marks on your windshield...

Otherwise the Roundabout's a good choice.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Samdog
Advanced

Oreganet, what model seat are you using?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Samdog
Advanced

We have a Graco model now and it actually does fit in the back, rear facing with my wife in the front. She is a little scrunched but I was hoping there might be one out there that would give a little more room to the front seat passenger. Maybe I'll go over to Babies R Us and look at all the possibilities. If I figure something out, I'll post here for other new fathers with 911s.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Samdog
I searched around and it seemed the consensus was the Britax Roundabout was the way to go. I'm not sure I saw any post that said it fit in the back seat while rear facing and left enough room in the front seat for a passenger. Anyone with experience in this scenario. I'd like to use the Porsche as a family car!

Thanks!
I just bought a Britax Roundabout yesterday. I got it from Target for $153. Target's website listed it for $260, but I called all my local stores and found one, on clearance.

According to Target, it was on sale because the Roundabout has been discontinued.

Now I just have to pick up my 911, so I have a place to install it.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Telamon
Intermediate

cool
Baby is due in three weeks and wife was bitchin that I "lied" about the Porsche being a "family" car....Still will probably wait untill he is a bit older and put him in a forward facing seat but good to know a rear facing one will fit back there...

Please post pics if you can..
Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Telamon
cool
Baby is due in three weeks and wife was bitchin that I "lied" about the Porsche being a "family" car....Still will probably wait untill he is a bit older and put him in a forward facing seat but good to know a rear facing one will fit back there...

Please post pics if you can..

Simon's rule of car-buying: when the wife pays for it, she's entitled to express an opinion. Then again, I'm divorced so this may not be great advice
Old 07-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Remove the back seat and you pick up 3+ inches of legroom the front passenger can use.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Okay, I'm using a standard Graco infant seat (up to 20lbs) that comes with the travel systems. It fits fine behind the passenger seat and my 5'2" wife has no space issues in the front. I have also placed one behind the driver's seat and been able to drive without any issues (I'm 5'11"), although you have to adapt your clutch control a little.

I bought the Carrera over the Boxster specifically to gain the two rear seats for infants and have had no issues at all. I was told by someone I know that his kids were in the back seats up until just after their 10th birthdays.

I don't yet have an idea what I'm going to replace the infant seat with yet, but I have a couple of months until my son hits his first birthday and I'm allowed to move to a forward facing seat.

Last edited by oreganet; 07-13-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:36 AM
Gnome
Racer

Ok, I stand corrected. Can someone post a pic? I'd love to see what the clearance looks like with the rear-facing seat in the back.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I don't have a photo, but the seat is pushed forwards by maybe 2 or 3 inches. It doesn't impede vision out of the passenger window, although, you do have to lean forwards a little at intersections to make sure your passenger doesn't block your view.

If time allows this weekend I'll see if I can take a photo.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Samdog
Advanced

We too have the Graco model that fits in the base in our other car and clips into the stroller. I'm assuming this is the same seat. This one is actually the best I've found so far. However, I removed the rear seat and even then the passenger seat is pretty far forward. My wife is 5'6" and she can fit but not as comfortably as I would like. I can buy some room by tilting the baby seat so that the backrest is more vertical but still within the "window" that they give you to show correct position. I don't like that though as the baby's head is too vertical and I'm afraid it will slump forward or be forced forward if I'm hit in the rear. I'd prefer to keep the seat at least 45 degrees as most recommend.

I tried a Britax Roundabout as recommended and I'm not sure what others are talking about. It doesn't fit at all backwards and doesn't fit very well forwards in the cabriolet. Maybe they were talking about for the front seat or back of a coupe only. Are the seatbacks less vertical in the coupe? I'm betting the coupe has another couple of inches of room back there because the rollover bars are behind the rear seats of the cab.

I'm going to try going to some stores to see if I can find one that will fit better. The Graco could be smaller with no sacrifice to safety IMO. There is some extraneous plastic around the edges that really isn't functional except to smooth the perimeter of the seat out. That would buy another 2" or so which is precious space in this case.

Is the center panel on the rear of the front seats removable? It looks like it is but I didn't want to try too hard. I don't know how much room taking that out would buy me but it may be a signifcant difference. I would consider having something special made up to go in that space if it was worth it. That would also keep from denting or marring the original seatback. I tried a little prying on it to remove but it didn't budge and I didn't want to push it.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:14 AM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not to hijack this thread about rear facing seats in Cabs...but what seat (besides the Porsche one) fits well front-facing. I've purposely held off putting a cat seat in the cab as I've heard that rear facing is a tough fit...but what about when they are old enough to be front-facing?

Thanks,Will

Quick Reply: Need Rear Facing Baby Seat for Back seat of 996 cab